folic acid and prenatal?

Angel022605

5K fun
Reaction score
I've read in an article that to never use folic acid and prenatal vits with synthetic folic acid because it's does the opposite for women TTC. In fact the writer says use a natural Folate supplement. I've ALWAYS heard that folic acid and prenatal vits are the BEST thing you can do while TTC.
Here's a copy of the article:

"Most prenatal vitamins on the market contain folic acid, which is the LAST thing you should be taking if you're having trouble getting pregnant. I know it's been drilled into our heads that we need more folic acid during our childbearing years, but that advice is dead wrong.

The truth is, in many women (including myself) have a specific genetic mutation called MTHFR that affects a process called methylation. The science is really complex, but basically it breaks down to this—taking synthetic folic acid disrupts a critical process that plays a huge role in several important systems, including ones responsible for fertility and growing healthy babies.

The nutrient we actually need is folate, NOT folic acid. Supplementing with the wrong thing can have disastrous results for your fertility if you happen to have this gene mutation (and the only way to know for sure is to have a DNA test)."
Sorry this is so long. What doe you guys think? What's your opinion?:shrug:

It's so hard when there's conflicting advise everywhere regarding ttc. My doctor recommended that I stay on prenatals after my mmc and I have been and will continue to take them for now.

Definitely an interesting article though. I'm going to try to do some more research. I've never heard that before but it makes sense. I know synthetic substances have the potential to do different things in our bodies. Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->