Folic acid and prenatanls together equals too much folic acid?

josephine3

Reaction score
So i normally take folic acid when i remember but was thinking of starting prenatals. u can get preconception ones but the prenatls were cheaper but same ingredients so i went for them. however these also contain folic acid so am i right in thinking i shud stop the folic acid?

trouble is i was just going to take the prenatal every few days as they are veeerrry expensive to me anyways! then i thought of this. Any thoughts?

babydust to all xxx

I take both.... I don't take the folic acid one every day though. It tends to upset my stomach a little if I'm having an off day. The amounts are still low enough that they shouldn't do any harm taking them together. Just don't get high potency folic acid (don't know if there is such a thing). I had a low vitamin d level so I take extra of that every day too. The prenatals have vit d in them and I was advised by my doc to still take 2000iu extra of vitamin d. So i would assume that it would be safe to take the extra folic acid as well. When you have too many of a vitamin in your system your body should just excrete the excess out through your urine.
But it's up to you. Otherwise ask your doctor or on a forum online where doc's answer questions.

:dust:

I don't think you'll have to worry about taking too much folic acid.
I'm taking Prenatals with Folic acid, and as per my Dr's orders another 4mg per day.
Some people do get upset/nauseous from too much folic acid or multivitamins in general, but if you aren't having any issue than there's no harm in taking both.

as mentioned by someone else, I am also taking a Vit. d. tablet 1000mui.

There's no such thing as too much folic acid. (well there is, but it's more than 12x the recommended amount. When TTC I take 5mg of FA which is 12x whats in a normal FA pill.)

Folic Acid is extremely important to a fetus' development. My daughter has Spina Bifida because I didn't get enough FA whilst pregnant.

I was under the impression that too much cud be bad....

I stopped taking FA because I thought it was too much with the prenatal but after reading this I'm going to start it again.

My gyno recommended to start taking 400mcg of folic acid a day. I usually take a woman's multivitamin in conjunction with it, so I'm getting about 800mcg total.

I would at least take 400-600 ug, occasionally take an extra 1000 ug tab. When close and after o I switch to prenatals that contain 1000ug.

my doc and my sister (also a doc) said there is such a thing as too much folic acid and you need to be careful as our bodies should only have a certain amount. check with your doctor before doubling up or contact mother risk.

I had a mc 5/20 and saw my doc 5/27 and my gyn 6/2 and they both agreed you should be taking 400mg daily anyway 800mg when ttc and 1200mg if youve had a mc or previous child with differentlyabledness due to lack of fa and are stll ttc. I wouldnt go higher than 1200mg tho. I take a multi vit (cus it has more vit than most prenatals) and an extra 800mg daily. Even if i forget my multi vit i still take my fa. (i got the small bottle and keep it in my purse so its always with me) fx ang good luck. :dust:

I'm a nursing student and I have talked to Dr's, Pharmacists and a Nutritionist.
You can get too much folic acid, however like a previous poster said, it has to be a massive massive amount and we're talking well beyond what is in any vitamin you can even buy.
I was told by my OBGYN and Nutritionist (she double checked to make sure) that the new recommendation is for 1000mcg of folic acid. Most prenatals only have 800mcg. They are MCG not MG. I want to clarify that.
Also I was told to take it twice a day because folic acid needs to be absorbed twice during the day so when you are pregnant, so your baby is getting as much as it needs. Also folic acid is a water soluble vitamin, meaning if you have too much, your body gets rid of it by putting the excess in your pee.
I take a prenatal gummy vitamin twice a day so I get 800mcg while TTCing, but I'm also big on DHA so my prenatal has that too. I take Vitafusion prenatal because I'm high risk and my OBGYN said it's a good one for high risk women and it's a more natural so it's easily processed by the body.

Thanks for the info Littlemonster!
I'm taking 4 - 1mg tablet a day (as my Dr. prescribed b/c I have spina bifida), I generally take 2 in the morning and 2 later just because I don't want to swallow all of the tablets in one day. It's good to know that it's beneficial to take them twice a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->