Folic acid before ttc

Zara86

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've read that it's a good idea to start taking folic acid around 3 months before ttc. I started taking one a day a few weeks back but have been suffering from insomnia. The penny didn't drop straight away, but after doing some research it appears that folic acid can cause sleep problems.

I know how important it is to take folic acid to reduce the likelihood of spina bifida and other defects however I've had to stop as I cannot sleep at all on it! I'm worried as I know it should be taken especially during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Anyone have any advice on what to do? Guess advice from the docs would be a good idea.

Thanks guys x

didn't want to read and run
you could try eating foods that are high I folic acid,
I took a conception vitamins, it has all the vitamins you need to get your body ready and then when you do fall pregnant you can switch over to pregncare

Thanks littlesteph, do the conception vitamins have folic in though? Can't believe how badly it effects my sleep, I must be so sensitive!

yea they do but the other vitamins in them should ease the tiredness

I have known family members who haven't started taking Folic Acid until they actively started TTC.

First time i TTC it took 6 months to get pregnant, i didn't know i was pregnant until i was 6-8 weeks and by the time i went to the midwife and learnt about folic acid i was at least 9 weeks gone, my son was born fine without spina bifida or any other birth defects.

I got pregnant first month of TTC second time around and started taking folic acid when i was about 3-4 weeks pregnant , again daughter was born without spina bifida or any other defects.

My personal opinion.. your not trying to conceive yet i see no reason why you would have to take folic acid, ask the doctor if you wish but don't believe everything you read your sleep is important to
Good Luck x

wow I didn't know that! I used to have very bad insomnia but was sleeping well for ages. I've been taking a pregnancy vitamin for a couple months and have been having some disturbed sleep.... I hadn't really thought about it til you mentioned it though.

i agree with littlesteph, while you are not yet ttc i would just eat a lot of folic acid rich foods if you cant take the tablets, maybe take a tablet a couple of times a week as a top up?

I've been doing some research and it does look like folic acid can cause sleeplessness. I've been taking a pregnancy vitamin twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, and now I read that the vitamins can stimulate you and give you energy... sometimes I don't take it til 10pm!! I also read that it is fine for me to take both tablets in the morning so that's what I'm going to do now, and see if my sleep gets back to normal. I'm very sensitive to things that affect my sleep. I hadn't even thought of this connection til I saw this thread.... Here's hoping!

Right now I'm taking mutlivitamins with 400 mcg's of folic acid. The iron pills I'm taking also have 400 and the protein powder I drink has 200 mcg's. Could you take too much folic acid?

I got this from https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/folate/dosing/hrb-20059475

The maximum daily intake level of folic acid for people 19 years and older (including pregnant or breastfeeding women), 1,000 micrograms.

Your body gets rid of the folic acid you don't need so no harm in taking too much.

Not the best advice storm. National health advice is to take folic acid before ttc. Just because your LO's were thankfully ok, you shouldn't encourage other people to not take it.

I suggest like Meg, you take your folic acid in the morning when it is less likely to disturb your sleep patterns? Will that work? Give it a try.

Maybe try a multivitamin or a prenatal? Might be different not on its own?? Also- when in the day do you take it? I agree with the advice to try first thing in the morning. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->