Folic acid info.

Discussion in 'Waiting To Try' started by lozzy21, Dec 9, 2009.

1. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

2. londonbird

londonbird Well-Known Member

I had a wee read of this..my doctor said a year before to start taking it... conflicting info..but deffo will in two years time :)

3. Tegans Mama

Tegans Mama home edding mum of 2

As long as you take it, thats all that matters, the longer the better. Ideally all women of child bearing age should be taking a FA supplement. One little pill can make a world of difference.

4. londonbird

londonbird Well-Known Member

aah I thought it could cause harm for long periods..after reading ...hmm..so fine to take for a few years? lol wishful thinking!

5. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

Folic acid is included in most multi-vits so yes its safe to take for years

6. goddess25

goddess25 Well-Known Member

I read this article a few days ago it is a good one. If your thinking about conceiving just be careful the amount of folic acid in multi vits is not high enough for some countries. I live in Canada and the recommended dose of FA is 1mg for at least 3 months prior to conception and all the multi vits its only 400mcg, unless your taking a specific vit for pre pregnancy but some of those dont have enough either, mine doesn't so I just take a regular FA tab.

7. Kess

Kess Well-Known Member

1mg?? Isn't it weird how different countries can have such different guidelines? Guidelines over here are 400mcg for three months before TTC, and you need to buy a pregnancy/TTC supplement to get that much, since 200mcg is the amount in most ordinary multivits.

8. Kess

Kess Well-Known Member

Worrying. I've found some stuff online about how too much folic acid can make cancer more likely. I'm confused, now, how much do I take? How much is safe? How much is necessary? One report I read said 400mcg reduced the chance of neural tube defects by 70%, which is about what 5mg does, isn't it? So why take 5mg in that case? I'm confused.

9. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

I'm starting to take in January, 6 months before TTC. Like hr.lr said, it's so so important and not very expensive.

10. Tegans Mama

Tegans Mama home edding mum of 2

I would much, much much much!!!! rather have cancer and drop dead right this very second than watch my daughter go through what she went through, and will continue to go through, for the rest of her life.

And as for dosages, in the UK 400ug is the reccomendation, but taking a dosage of 4mg is a far better guarantee.

11. Nosy_Cow

Nosy_Cow Mum to Angel & Rainbow

I'd just like to agree with this. I recently went through a very tramatic experience of having to decide whether my daughter lived or died. We found out she had severe spina bifida and hydrocephalus at 21 weeks. After many tests (during these tests we found out she was blind and badly brain damaged too!) we decided it was only fair to let her go. We lost her at 25 weeks. This baby was wanted, loved, planned and cared for but I couldn't see her go through the pain and suffering.

Before I fell pregnant I started taking Folic Acid a month before. This dosage was the 400µg per day. I took this from one month before falling pregnant up until 16 weeks of pregnancy. The thing they don't tell you is folic acid is only effective in 70% of cases - this includes the higher dosage of 5mg (that can only be prescribed by your doctor).

I'm now taking part in a new trial which is looking at the effect of folic acid and Inositol. It's just another vitamin similar to folic acid. But folic acid isn't always absorbed by every woman and this is where the Inositol comes in. I'm currently taking 5mg folic acid and 1000mg of Inositol daily. Yes they don't know the side effects of long term usage but they won't presribe it for longer than 12 months. For more information on this trial see here. It's only for women who have been effected by NTD's.

I'm sorry to "but in" on this conversation but it's something I've become very passionate on recently. It's one tiny pill that you take daily - for those of you coming off the pill that can't be hard!

I also hope I haven't offended anyone by talking about my story. I know many people would disagree with my choice but I was only thinking of my daughter's life and not my own. I couldn't watch her suffer.

As for the "When should I start taking?" As long as you take it before you conceive that is the main thing. The reason you take it daily is because it only stays in your system for 24 hours after that you need a top up.

12. Tulip

Tulip Ruby <i>, Dils, Rowan

I just want to add my support to the spina bifida mummies. I took my pre-conception/pregnancy vitamins religiously for a year, but it seems that I can't absorb it.... and on Tuesday the doctors took my darling baby from me surgically because she suffered from a neural tube defect which prevented her skull from forming. She was fitting almost constantly in the womb and I could not bear to have her suffer any longer. I am now in the process of joining the same clinical study as nosy_cow.

So for those of you lucky enough to absorb folic acid: it's a daily pill. It's the easiest thing in the world, and it can save your baby's life. Start taking it as soon as you can.

xx

13. AmeliePoulain

AmeliePoulain Mama to 3 girls

There seems to be plenty of people in this thread who really know their stuff on folic acid - I'm hoping someone might have a little bit more information for me...

I have seen in a couple of places on BnB and I have had a quick look at a few studies that advise that drinking green tea can pretty much cancel out the benefits of taking folic acid supplement (nothing I have read has given an indication of how much green tea you would need to be drinking for this to happen)

We are not TTC until June 2010 but I have been taking folic acid for quite a few months now BUT I have also really cut down on the amount of caffeine I drink and I do have a couple of cups of green tea each day...

Does anyone else have any experience/info on this?? Or should I just cut out the green tea to be on the safe side???

:wacko:

14. Tulip

Thank you for asking the question! It seems to be generally accepted that green tea inhibits the absorption of Folic Acid, but you're right - it is difficult to get an impression of how much would be too much. Some places say to avoid completely, some would say to avoid excessive amounts (I'm thinking if someone was giving up smoking and replaced a fag with a cuppa).

I found a great article the other day but can't seem to locate it now. However, I have found this:

https://www.life123.com/parenting/pregnancy/is-it-safe/green-tea-and-pregnancy.shtml

Green tea and pregnancy are not a good mix. Green tea has some components that can be detrimental to the health of an unborn fetus. These components are caffeine and epigallocatechin gallate, or EGCG. We all know that caffeine has adverse affects on the heart, stress levels and blood pressure, which is why it is often off limits for pregnant women. EGCG is something entirely new.

Dangers of EGCG in Pregnancy
    EGCG is an active ingredient in green tea. Because EGCG binds with an enzyme in the body called dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), and changes the way folate is used by the developing embryo. Since folate helps prevent birth defects, it is a necessary building block essential to the well being and proper development of the fetus.

It is known that EGCG disrupts folate absorption during pregnancy. There is more EGCG in green tea than in any other food or drink. It is unclear how much green tea or how much EGCG must be present for folate levels to be disrupted enough to cause birth defects. It is best for pregnant women to avoid green tea and other sources of EGCG until after delivery.

While green tea, black tea and oolong tea are all harvested from the same tree, green tea leaves are steamed while the other teas use fermented leaves. Steaming prevents the EGCG compound from becoming oxidized and destroyed.

I would assume that if you're not in the 10% of women who don't metabolize Folic Acid, then you'd be OK with a cup or two a day while TTC. But (from what I've read) to take an increased dose and to not take your FA with a cup of green tea!! I for one won't be touching a drop of green tea while TTC or in my next pregnancy - it's just too dangerous for me.

15. AmeliePoulain

AmeliePoulain Mama to 3 girls

I have thrown the green tea out - just sticking to my caffeine free stuff - I am way to freaked out to drink it now :wacko: It is really really hard - I am just trying to be good and cut down on all the bad stuff! I guess this is what is good about waiting to try - it really is a good time to learn stuff. Thank you!

:flower:

16. Tulip

It's great that you are making these sacrifices now - you are going to be a fantastic mummy.

17. cazza1982

cazza1982 Mum to a cheeky monkey!

First of all, big hugs and love to all you mummies.

As Charlie was born with a Cleft lip and palate, I will need to be prescribed Folic Acid by my doctor as least 2 months before I start to conceive to try and stop it happening again. Charlie had to also be investigated for Spina Bifida when he was born as he had a large sacral dimple at the base of his spine. Very fortunately for us, it turned out to not be the case.

He also suffers from low haemoglobin levels and has already had blood transfusions but it still keeps dropping so that is currently being investigated at the moment and just hope that it amounts to nothing.

I am very humbled though by what some of you other mummies have to go through and I am very lucky that Charlie's defects should not affect his quality of life (aside from speech development, hearing and eating etc).

I just hope that when I go to conceive again, the Folic Acid will at least give us a fighting chance of having a completely healthy baby.

I am pro Folic Acid and I think the stories on here prove this to be an important part of the trying to conceive process.

Much love.

xxx