Folic Acid - When to start?

LuckyFlutter

Reaction score
I've been researching Folic Acid and when to start. Lots of sources say 3 months before conception however when I've looked at actual studies carried out they are saying that one month is adequate for maximum benefits.

I would love to start TTcing in Feb which would mean I have 5 weeks of FA behind me.

The chance of spina bifida is 1 in 1,000 generally.

Wondering when others are starting to take their supplements?

Do you think 5 weeks is sufficient?

I think if you definitely know when you are going to TTC, no harm in taking folic acid early. however i woudn't worry too much about it, as long as you take it when you are actually pregnant. good luck with ttc!!

I'll have been taking it for 6 months when I ttc :haha: but sooo many people get pregnant without TTC so they aren't taking it till they get pregnant

I was just going by the bottle I bought which said 1 month before conception. I have started taking it now (when I remember) just to be ready although it is unlikely I will conceive straight away!

I have been taking it since November despite not knowing when we are trying properly. The earlier the better in my view! I actually feel better in myself and I'm sure it is all the vitamins!

As long as you take it from conception you should be ok. I still haven't started taking it, have really been meaning to start it

The body doesn't store folic acid, that's why it's important you take it everyday.
But then I doubt it'll make too much of a difference if you start 3 months before TTC or 1 month before TTC

The way my doctor exolained it was that any woman of childbearing age who is sexually active should take it daily. It makes the most difference in those first few weeks, typically before you even know you're pregnant. If you had an accident before you were trying, it would protect against birth defects like spins bifida (75% of all cases could have been prevented with folic acid). I started 2 years before TTC and will keep taking until we are done having babies and the hubs gets snipped :)

I take multivitamins with 400 mcg's of folate in them. I'm not sure when I'll be ttcing but I want to be prepared for when I am ttcing.

I think a month before is good :) But I'll have been taking it for 3 months when we start TTC.

They say all women of child bearing age should take a folic acid supplement.

That being said when we had my son I started taking them just the month before... And my daughter was not planned so I never took them until about 2-3months in!

ive been taking it for about a year now and still not ttc yet, wont do any harm and its cheap to buy

Im over weight and have been reading that overweight women need more. Anyone have previous experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->