folic acid?

bexie1985

Reaction score
when should i stop taking folic acid? im over 12 weeks now, but still have some left, is it ok to keep taking them? or should i be on different vitamins now?

Its fine to keep taking them :)
I take a multivitamin and will continue to take them

Still taking mine, most multi vits has it in anyway and my mw says to continue

its a personal choice i was taking pregnacare containing folic acid but have now stopped cause even just the thought was making me sick

but if you wanna continue taking you will be ok

x

Is folic acid only for the first trimester? My doctor just prescribed me more, but I am three weeks from crossing over to second trimester so not sure why I need it then?

yes it says for the first 3months on the packet on mine, but i still have some left, i'll probably just take them. x

Oh gee thanks :) note to myself always read the instructions :) What do we take after that??

Taken from the American Pregnancy Association:

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/folicacid.html

"Folic acid is used to make the extra blood your body needs during pregnancy. All women of childbearing age should consume 400 micrograms of folic acid a day. "

When should I start taking folic acid?

"You should start taking folic acid prior to getting pregnant even if you are not trying to conceive. Neural tube defects usually develop in the first 28 days of pregnancy, often before a woman even knows that she is pregnant. If you find you are pregnant and have not been taking folic acid, you should start now to help prevent any neural defects in the first three months of pregnancy."

What are the risks of not taking folic acid?

"The absence of folic acid increases the possibility of a neural tube defect, a defect in the development of the spinal cord."

"Spina bifida is a condition in which the spinal cord is exposed. If the vertebrae (bones of the spinal column) surrounding the spinal cord do not close properly during the first 28 days after fertilization, the cord or spinal fluid bulge through, usually in the lower back.
Anencephaly is the severe underdevelopment of the brain. "

What foods contain folic acid?

"Approximately half of all pregnancies are unplanned, so the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has taken steps to fortify certain foods so that all women of childbearing age get a daily dose of folic acid. The following foods can help you obtain your recommended amount of folic acid:"

Leafy green vegetables, such as a large spinach salad
Citrus fruits, such as orange juice
Beans
Breads
Cereals
Rice
Pastas

"A daily vitamin with folic acid may be suggested by your health care provider since the food listed above may not contain enough folic acid to meet the daily requirement."

How do I know if I am at risk for having a baby with neural defects, and how can I prevent this from happening?

"Women who are at greatest risk are those that have had a previous pregnancy that involved a neural defect. Women who are not eating a balanced diet that includes folic acid are also at risk."

"The best way to prevent neural defects is to take the recommended 400 micrograms of folic acid daily for one month before conception and during the first three months of pregnancy. Multivitamins that include folic acid should only be used as a supplement under the care of your health care provider."

How are neural tube defects diagnosed?

"Neural tube defects are detected through an alpha-fetoprotein test (AFP); AFP is a blood test administered at 16-18 weeks gestation. The test measures alpha-fetoprotein, a substance produced by the fetus and secreted into the amniotic fluid, which is also in the mother's blood. The level of AFP in mother's blood peaks at about 30-32 weeks. Abnormally high amounts of AFP may indicate that a baby has a neural tube defect."

What are other reasons for an elevated AFP?

"An elevated AFP could mean the mother is carrying twins or that there is a problem with the placenta. Women with diabetes or liver disease may also have an elevated AFP level. However, an elevated AFP could mean that there are birth defects present such as severe kidney disease, liver disease, esophageal or intestinal blockage, Down Syndrome, urinary obstruction, or osteogenesis imperfecta (fragility of the baby's bones)."

If I have an elevated AFP, what additional tests are available?

A second AFP test
An ultrasound
Amniocentesis

Reference:

American Pregnancy Association (2008). Folic Acid. Retrieved August 29, 2009 from American Pregnancy Association Web site: https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/folicacid.html

Wow, great info. Thank you very much, my wife is 10 weeks preggo.

Iv been told to take 5mg a day right through my pregnancy.

xxx

The baby is not the only one who benefits from folic acid. I found my nails are a lot longer and stronger since I started taking it (before getting pregnant) and its good for your hair too.
https://www.nutritional-supplements-health-guide.com/what-is-folic-acid.html
talks about what it does. Hair, skin and nails make new cells every day, so that's why folic acid helps with that. So, even though its not crucial for the baby after 12 weeks, its certainly good for you.

I'm still taking mine, I know it's not crucial and you can stop after 12 weeks but I figured it's doing me no harm so I may as well just keep taking my pregnacare xx

I am taking 800mcg from a supplement and will definitely take throughout and beyond pregnancy. Medical doctors are not trained in nutrition and only give the guidelines they are allowed to give, which is folic acid for the first 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"