Following my midwife appt.. (long)

Clartylou

Mummy to Samuel, Pgt no#2
Reaction score
I told MW yesterday that I wanted to have baby in Edinburgh, rather than Falkirk/Stirling. As per her instructions, I contacted the RIE to get numbers so I have them to call around 12 weeks if I haven't heard from them about the scan and was told they wont scan me as I don't live in the healthboard catchment area. I explain everything about it being more accessable to me because of family etc and still no, all my antenatal care including scans etc will have to be done in my own healthboard.

I then call my midwife on the only number I have and its the gynae dept at Stirling and apparently the midwives aren't there all the time, only specific days. I get put through to the Triage Dept and explain my story to the woman who also says that all my care should be within my healthboard (scans at Stirling Royal, appts with midwife at my pratice etc). I explain about what the MW said about my notes going to Edinburgh and she said they shouldn't. I said about not getting bloods as Edinburgh would do them, she said NO. Tells me to call my GP and get another MW appt.

I phone my GP and speak to the Practice Manager who also agrees with everything I've been told about staying within same healthboard. Says she will speak to MW today (As they have a pm clinic and will leave me a voicemail at home) Get home and no voicemail.

H and I have decided because of all the hassle we will just have baby in our own healthboard and we'll deal with how H will get from work in Edinburgh to Stirling if I go into Labour whilst he's at work (he doesn't drive!) when the time comes.

Now I am completely confused about what is going on. I am hoping to contact the MW tomorrow and that she hasn't sent my notes anywhere yet. I am 9 weeks pregnant and haven't had bloods yet and would like my scan either before my holiday (will be 12 weeks) or the day we get back as we're off work and I will be 14 weeks.

I know this baby thing wasn't going to be easy, but I never expected this.

Clartylou x

Gosh!! Seems you have been given conflicting stories...

I would get on the phone to practice manager and see where you call is?

ALso I know this is cheeky but if you can get your scans and bloods etc etc done near home can you not pitch up with your notes at the ERI when you go into labour and say you were out shopping??

I mean I had my 1st appointment today and I stay the centre of Edinburgh and was offered ERI, St Johns at Livignstn or The Borders General....which is about an hours drive away!!

I hope you get this sorted.

:hugs:

Emma.xx

I wouldnt worry yet hun, Your still really early on. At a later midwife appointment Im sure it will all get sorted out
X

Gosh!! Seems you have been given conflicting stories...

I would get on the phone to practice manager and see where you call is?

ALso I know this is cheeky but if you can get your scans and bloods etc etc done near home can you not pitch up with your notes at the ERI when you go into labour and say you were out shopping??

I mean I had my 1st appointment today and I stay the centre of Edinburgh and was offered ERI, St Johns at Livignstn or The Borders General....which is about an hours drive away!!

I hope you get this sorted.

:hugs:

Emma.xx

Thats a good idea - what are they going to do say no? (hopefully not)

aw hun, what an ordeal! hope you get everything sorted though

but i must say it looks like you'll be out shopping in Edinburgh when you go into labour...lol

good luck hun xxx

Dont worry too much, when i had my little girl 2 yrs ago i had all my scans ect in Elgin hosp (work up here) but then decided at 37wks that because the Bio father was never goin to be involved i was goin back home to my parents and had my daughter in Stirling Royal. This was no problem i just told my midwife and she contacted Stirling for me to arrange an appt for thm to reveiw my notes.

My friend has also just done this, she was to be having her baby in Elgin but they do not give epidurals so she was advised by her midwife to wait until after all her scans then request a move to Inverness, Inverness only give 1/2 scans Elgin give 3, and because of the distance shed have to travel.

hope it all works out x

Thanks for all the replies.

I spoke to my midwife again today and she is organising for everything to happen at Stirling. She did say however, if at 37 weeks I decide I want to have the baby in Edinburgh its do-able. I'm just so happy its getting sorted.

Am back at the midwife on 22nd Oct for my booking in bloods that should have been taken the other day and hopefully i'll hear about my scan within the next couple of weeks.

Clartylou x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->