• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Food aversions and cravings

hlynne

Reaction score
Since this is the first time that I have made it past eight weeks pregnant, I was wondering how long food aversion and cravings last? Do they stay around throughout the whole pregnancy? I used to love coffee, and now I can't even smell it without getting nauseous. I'm not complaining though because I would rather not have coffee while pregnant. Also, the having to eat RIGHT NOW is not making me very happy at times :growl mad: So I'm wondering how long that lasts from your experiences.

No complaints here though. I feel very blessed to have this pregnancy go well so far.

Thanks!!

I started to feel less nauseated around 14 weeks, but my aversions stayed put until he was out. I was a lifelong vegetarian with an aversion to salads... very strange! The starving and need to eat now feeling stayed around, too, and only got ten times worse with breastfeeding!

Nausea eased off but food aversions didn't (lg was three months old and I laughed so hard at hubby because he said, "I've been wondering if I'm allowed eggs again yet?" Lol! For three months after she was born he was too worried to cook eggs in the house!)

It's weird - food aversions and heartburn just leave you as the baby is born!

Same here as everyone else. The food adversions stayed until birth. As the pregnancy progressed, I developed more and more food adversions. So expect to start hating more foods. LOL Coffee is a trigger for me too. The smell makes me want to hurl when normally, I LOVE the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Nausea for me didn't subside until about 20 weeks. The smell of cooking meat was another bad trigger for me. Congrats on your pregnancy! Here to a happy 40 weeks!

I have an aversion to meat, especially sausages.

I find it absolutely hilarious because before I had DS1 I was a vegetarian for 11 years but as soon as I got pregnant I couldn't stop eating meat!

So far no aversions! I'm in that 'constantly hungry' state and always looking for a snack.

Here's what I'm craving:
I need to eat all the dill pickles on the planet. Seriously.
Apple juice
Lemonade - I'm drinking it by the gallon I swear
Meat - any kind, any time and any way I can get it
Veggies - I'll need to snack on carrots and cucumbers at night

I'm normally a big chocoholic. I haven't touched it since finding out I was pregnant, not sure if I just don't want it or just don't have the craving. Same goes for Coke or other soft drinks.

I started to feel less nauseated around 14 weeks, but my aversions stayed put until he was out. I was a lifelong vegetarian with an aversion to salads... very strange! The starving and need to eat now feeling stayed around, too, and only got ten times worse with breastfeeding!

Thank goodness I finally found you. Most women look at me crazy when I tell them how hungry I was while breastfeeding, since everyone believes you lose weight and I gained even more than I did while pregnant! I was craving sweets and was always hungry. I gained to much weight I had to stop breastfeeding at 6months but thankfully I pumped enough to last ds till 11 months.

I always seem to have aversions to things I normally love. I drink multiple cups of coffee a day when I am not pregnant. When I was pregnant with my daughter even seeing coffee on TV made me want to throw up! I wouldn't allow my husband to make any in the house... poor guy. This time it's not AS bad but the thought of coffee sounds gross. Also, I normally LOVE these Udon noodle bowls but since becoming pregnant the thought of them makes me gag!! Pregnancy is weird! haha.
No real cravings yet. I'm pretty much just not interested in eating in general.

I find it absolutely hilarious because before I had DS1 I was a vegetarian for 11 years but as soon as I got pregnant I couldn't stop eating meat!

This is me almost exactly! I was a vegetarian before I was pregnant with my son; during the pregnancy I wanted all the fried chicken in the world. I continued to eat chicken on occasion after having him. Last night my husband cooked some chicken sausage, and I'm pretty sure I'm officially back to being a vegetarian.

Thank goodness I finally found you. Most women look at me crazy when I tell them how hungry I was while breastfeeding, since everyone believes you lose weight and I gained even more than I did while pregnant! I was craving sweets and was always hungry. I gained to much weight I had to stop breastfeeding at 6months but thankfully I pumped enough to last ds till 11 months.

Yeah, I ate like a heifer the first 6 months of breastfeeding! After he started nursing less and eating more solids, it began to subside. I would literally have to eat every time I nursed him in the first few months (and in between nursing sessions too!). I kept a collection of snacks on the bedside table. I'm nearly back to that feeling with this pregnancy. I think still nursing plus being pregnant might be too much for my hunger!

Yeah, I ate like a heifer the first 6 months of breastfeeding! After he started nursing less and eating more solids, it began to subside. I would literally have to eat every time I nursed him in the first few months (and in between nursing sessions too!). I kept a collection of snacks on the bedside table. I'm nearly back to that feeling with this pregnancy. I think still nursing plus being pregnant might be too much for my hunger!

Are you still nursing? also do you plan on nursing again?
I'm dreading going through the breastfeeding journey again, nothing prepares you for how painful and exhausting it is. I know I'll do anything for my baby but the thought of nursing scares me

So far no aversions! I'm in that 'constantly hungry' state and always looking for a snack.

Here's what I'm craving:
I need to eat all the dill pickles on the planet. Seriously.
Apple juice
Lemonade - I'm drinking it by the gallon I swear
Meat - any kind, any time and any way I can get it
Veggies - I'll need to snack on carrots and cucumbers at night

I'm normally a big chocoholic. I haven't touched it since finding out I was pregnant, not sure if I just don't want it or just don't have the craving. Same goes for Coke or other soft drinks.

Hilarious! I am exactly the same way, except for the apple juice.
I used to only drink coffee in the morning and then water and nothing else all day. Now I crave lemonade! I also crave pickles and meat. I usually cook my steaks very rare so having to cook them all the way through makes me stay away from it, but any other meat is great.

I have always heard that pregnant women crave chocolate but I have not wanted to eat chocolate once. Actually, I heard a study on the news saying that the chocolate craving for pregnant women is not founded. They call it a craving because they can eat it without feeling so bad like they would if they weren't pregnant. I can see some truth in that :wink wink:

I am almost at your stage about wanting to eat a lot. It started yesterday. For the past couple of weeks I have not wanted to eat and had to force food down. I think that is coming to an end.

Are you still nursing? also do you plan on nursing again?
I'm dreading going through the breastfeeding journey again, nothing prepares you for how painful and exhausting it is. I know I'll do anything for my baby but the thought of nursing scares me

I am still nursing, but just for a few minutes at bed time. I wanted him to be weaned before falling pregnant so my body could be my own for a bit, but we got a surprise instead :) I definitely plan to bf again. The beginning was rough... I got double mastitis, too. However, it's just so convenient that I'll definitely do whatever I can to be successful again. I'm considering encouraging my son to keep bfing so my boobs stay used to suckling, but I've heard some horror stories about toddlers not being keen on their baby sibling taking mommy's milk...so I'll probably make sure he's weaned in a few months so he doesn't think of it as his milk anymore when I start nursing his sibling.

I am still nursing, but just for a few minutes at bed time. I wanted him to be weaned before falling pregnant so my body could be my own for a bit, but we got a surprise instead :) I definitely plan to bf again. The beginning was rough... I got double mastitis, too. However, it's just so convenient that I'll definitely do whatever I can to be successful again. I'm considering encouraging my son to keep bfing so my boobs stay used to suckling, but I've heard some horror stories about toddlers not being keen on their baby sibling taking mommy's milk...so I'll probably make sure he's weaned in a few months so he doesn't think of it as his milk anymore when I start nursing his sibling.
Its so funny if he starts fighting his baby sister/brother for the breast hahaha but good job momma! how old is your son now? I have respect for mothers that nurse for long periods. Its not easy at all and I've heard about mastitis, thank goodness I never had that but I heard how painful it is

Its so funny if he starts fighting his baby sister/brother for the breast hahaha but good job momma! how old is your son now? I have respect for mothers that nurse for long periods. Its not easy at all and I've heard about mastitis, thank goodness I never had that but I heard how painful it is

He'll be 16 months on the 15th of this month. Before having him, I thought for sure I wouldn't nurse past a year, but it's nice cuddle time each night before he goes down :) And, yeah, mastitis was a HUGE bummer! I really hope to avoid it this time around.

I haven't had too many aversions. Last pregnancy I couldn't eat chicken the whole time. This time I don't care for it, but I eat it occasionally. Cravings though? I didn't crave much when pregnant with DS, but this time...

I wanted SO BAD a big serving of greasy french fries (like restruant style, not fast food style) this morning. Didn't cave, but thought about it.

This afternoon, it's italian salad dressing.....

I've also been craving lemonade something fierce.

I still want those fries....

I get hungry suddenly (hate that!)
I want juice a lot, and have been craving chocolate. My cravings and aversions this time are different than last pregnancy.

First pregnancy:
could NOT stomach smell or texture of meats
wanted doughnuts and banana splits all the time
didn't drink much water
(Gave birth to a picky eater)

Second pregnancy:
eating meats, especially red meat; but don't like texture of sliced deli meats
want chocolate all the time
drinking a ton or water, and juice
pickles taste too vinegary, but love cucumbers
want a pound of garlic on everything
everything tastes bland

Now I really want pickles :haha: First pregnancy I developed a craving for coke and all soft drinks but mainly coke. I used to HATE coke before pregnancy. And this stuck with me after birth until I got pregnant again and now I can't even drink a sip of it. Hopefully that sticks with me after birth too!! Huge coffee drinker before this pregnancy, haven't wanted it at ALL until today bc I'm so tired and my throat hurts. Definitely doesn't taste as good though. And to add breastfeeding conversation, I get that constant hunger all throughout pregnancy and after birth I still had it due to bf but I still lost lots of weight (didn't really start to drop until 4-6 months though) I bf my son to almost 2 years old (due to my OWN aversion) and now I'm getting excited about breastfeeding another one :D

This made me laugh because it is so similar to me.

I was vegetarian for eight years, got pregnant with my son (eleven years ago) and craved meat.

Now I really cant stomach meat, it being in my mouth makes me feel sick (and my brother bought me a burger earlier so I forced it down so he didn't suspect :sick: ). I have been pregnant many times in these past eleven years and never had a food aversion before though.

I hate food aversions. biggest one right now is brown rice... thats weird. no longer like coffee or chocolate. addicted to salads and apples and drink water nonstop, but not peeing a lot? when I want something, I need it now but try to maintain without. recent weakness that I gave into is lucky charms. God I want some right now. ginger ale is glorious and newly discovered a love for honey dijon mustard :)

Not many cravings so far but I feel like I am hungry all the time.

That being said I did search 3 different food courts today for italian wedding soup and was out of luck.

I am starting to have a major aversion to my "normal" food that I prepare for my lunches...time to switch it up...just thinking about it gives me a yucky feeling in my tum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"