food intolerance?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Vickie, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

not sure if this is the best place for this but it seems like Hannah's quite suddenly developed an intolerance/allergy to tomatoes. She's had them since she was six months old and been fine, but recently we can't give her anything with a tomato in it without her facing turn really really red :wacko: Is this common? Is it something she might eventually outgrow??

2. BlackBerry25

BlackBerry25 Helena & Elliot <3

Tomatos are very common. Is it blotchy around her mouth?

I know Brian had the same thing when he was a kid and he outgrew it. I also know that MO3 on here, her son has a tomato allergy.

Helena's last allergic reaction was to sundried tomato, and her face turned completely red, and then red around her lips and throat, kinda blotchy but not raised.

3. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

blotchy around her mouth and on her cheeks. It also seems to make her fingers itch (she pulls at them and tries to scratch them).

4. Tiff

Tiff LIKE A BOSS

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=29&threadid=26801&stamp=040608115101

That link the second responder is talking about the symptom you described, about how the face goes red and itchy if they have tomato.

http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/food_allergy_for_public.htm

This link has the common infant allergies part way down the page, but they mention that it is common for adults to devolop a sensitivity to tomatoes.

Is she okay with potatoes? Almost everything I found stated that they are linking more and more potato allergies to people who have tomato ones.

I'm not a doctor though! :hugs: Poor Hannah!

5. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

she seems okay with potatoes but she doesn't have them all that often. The tomato reaction has really only started showing in the last week or two

and thanks for the links :)

6. nataliecn

nataliecn Mommy to Grady and WTT!

Poor girl...

7. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

thanks all. I did a bit more research and do think she has an allergy to raw tomatoes. Am going to talk to her doctor about it next time we go back, for now cutting tomatoes out of her diet. If you see my siggy pics the one of her in the duck sleeper is one of the nights she'd had a raw tomato :(

8. Tiff

Tiff LIKE A BOSS

Really? I always thought that was a teething picture!

Aww, poor Hannah! Elimination is probably best, to see if it is what's bothering her. :hugs:

9. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

that's what we'd originally thought Tiff until we started noticing a pattern of blotchy skin after eating. Yesterday she ate lunch and was fine. An hour and a half later she got a hold of a tomato from the garden and within a couple of minutes her skin started to get red and blotchy around the mouth and cheeks so I think it is tomatoes, at least raw ones

10. Mamafy

Mamafy Mum to 5 & Angel Mum to 4

Take Hannah to the dr hun, tomato allergies in lo's are really common but my paediatrician said last week any allergy can turn into a nut allergy. Katie has a peanut allergy and occassionally has tomato reactions.

At least the dr will give you an antihistamine to soothe any reaction :hugs:

11. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

thanks mamafy! I wasn't aware of that. We were going to take her in October for a pre-scheduled appointment but will now call and make one for (hopefully) later this week to see what he has to say

12. BlackBerry25

BlackBerry25 Helena & Elliot <3

I haven't noticed potatoes with Helena either. I did take H to the walk in clinic when it happened and he just told me to buy some over the counter allergy medicine to keep in the house right now. I was going to wait until her one year appointment too.... hmmm...

But yes, its just raw tomatoes here too. Pasta sauce seems fine.

13. Mamafy

Mamafy Mum to 5 & Angel Mum to 4

Watch out for the ketchups, especially the ones in fast foods place or restaurants. They always flare Katie up even if shes just sitting beside Joe :dohh:

14. x-amy-x

x-amy-x Mammy

Good thread. Caitlyn had tomatoes tonight and the skin around her mouth went all sore. This is a new occurance too

xx

15. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

oh Mamafy that's bad! I LOVE ketchup :lol: Hannah's only had it once and since I noticed the allergy not at all (cut out all tomatoes for the time being)