Food prepared with wine

Pink Petals

Reaction score
Is it safe to eat food cooked with wine? I don't drink, but DH likes to prepare food with wine on occasion.

I'm pretty sure the alcohol is burned off when used in cooking! I haven't been using alcohol in cooking personally but I'm sure it's fine. If you're worried you could ask him to use less? But bar making vodka jellies or something I wouldn't worry x

Ive cooked with wine for years, including during my pregnancies. I usually use such a small amount (for instance, my white chili calls for 1 cup of white wine) and it simmers for so long. Ive never worried about it, and my doctors havent either. My kiddos have been eating this stuff since they were started on solids as well. You can always ask him to use less, or take one for the team and substitute with some broth instead if youre concerned.

All this being said, I still eat deli meat, and hot dogs, and steaks cooked to medium while pregnant sooo I may not be the best one to give advice :p

You can find charts online about the rate at which the alcohol "cooks off". From memory it's something like 50 percent gone in half an hour and 90 percent gone after an hour. It takes quite a long time to be all gone, but after an hour the amount left is so small that it's comparable to the natural alcohol in fruit juice.

You can find charts online about the rate at which the alcohol "cooks off". From memory it's something like 50 percent gone in half an hour and 90 percent gone after an hour. It takes quite a long time to be all gone, but after an hour the amount left is so small that it's comparable to the natural alcohol in fruit juice.

It takes close to three hours for alcohol to fully evaporate from a dish while simmering. That said, if it's been simmering for a couple hours and you aren't eating the whole pot of sauce then I'm sure it's perfectly fine.

Here's a link: https://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400900/Does-Alcohol-Really-Cook-Out-of-Food.html

i wouldnt worry about it one bit. your baby is not going to get FAS from you eating a dinner of food cooked with wine/beer/liquor. if you were slamming 6 packs every day youd need to worry :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->