Foods to avoid

The list in the US is way bigger than the UK, I'm sure I read its because your food laws are not as strict.

I don't drink alcohol at all when pregnant and cut down on caffeine. Try not to eat undercooked eggs and rare beef is fine as long as its cooked to medium rare. You just have to ensure the middle is heated to 70c so I won't be avoiding that.

Sushi is a funny one, the packs you get in shops are fine since the fish isn't really raw. You are to avoid fresh sushi unless the fish has been frozen first.

Actually, the lists between the two countries look pretty similar. :)

United States

United Kingdom

The list in the US is way bigger than the UK, I'm sure I read its because your food laws are not as strict.

I don't drink alcohol at all when pregnant and cut down on caffeine. Try not to eat undercooked eggs and rare beef is fine as long as its cooked to medium rare. You just have to ensure the middle is heated to 70c so I won't be avoiding that.

Sushi is a funny one, the packs you get in shops are fine since the fish isn't really raw. You are to avoid fresh sushi unless the fish has been frozen first.

I wish I had known this while pregnant!! I really missed my steak but I hate it well done. It has to be pink inside.

Never heard the beef one before. There apps you can get for your phone I think I'll get one.

Can you eat honey? None of the lists have it on so I assume so...am I thinking right that LO can't have honey until 1 year old?

Can you eat honey? None of the lists have it on so I assume so...am I thinking right that LO can't have honey until 1 year old?

Baby isn't supposed to have honey until at least a year due to the chance of bacteria. Pasteurized honey is supposed to be safe during pregnancy, but it's always a good idea to check with whoever is managing your pregnancy since they know you and your medical history better. :flower:

Baby isn't supposed to have honey until at least a year due to the chance of bacteria. Pasteurized honey is supposed to be safe during pregnancy, but it's always a good idea to check with whoever is managing your pregnancy since they know you and your medical history better. :flower:

:thumbup: Thank you for that :D I will check with the midwife or obstetrician (whoever I see first, lol), as I do like honey on toast, it's one of the best comfort foods :) Not sure if the honey I buy is pasteurised...don't recall seeing anything on the label saying that it is or isn't!

i will avoid raw meats, pates, unpasteurised cheeses etc

i will eat ost other things including runny eggs, but not raw egg (eg mousse etc)

i will have the odd glass of wine or beer but we are taling perhaps one a month, i barely drink anyway.

i will continue to drink normal tea and coffee but i only drink one or two a day anyway.

i dont think too much stress is a good thing and a healthy cautious attitude to food/risks is fine.

I dont like cheese, fish, pate, coffee etc so its not too bad.

When i was pregnant with DD i gave up eggs, cuppa teas and alcohol. The morning i went into labour i demanded poached eggs on toast as i had missed it so much, 2 breathes of gas and air a few hours later and said poached eggs reappeared..all over my mums pants haha

With DS I didn't eat anything on the list and I drank half-calf coffee and limited dramatically since I can be a pot of coffee a day drinker. I also ate with wild abandon! :blush:

This time, Ill do the same and eat more healthy. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Thank you for that :D I will check with the midwife or obstetrician (whoever I see first, lol), as I do like honey on toast, it's one of the best comfort foods :) Not sure if the honey I buy is pasteurised...don't recall seeing anything on the label saying that it is or isn't!

Honey is fine, babies can't have it due to risk from botulism spores which can breed in the infant gut but this isn't a risk to adults including in pregnancy because your baby isn't ingesting it as such so it's fine.

Actually, the lists between the two countries look pretty similar. :)

United States

United Kingdom

The US list was a lot longer when I had my daughter, you were still advised to not eat nuts and some other things where as we were told they were ok.

I don't avoid many foods when pregnant. I did wonder about sushi but apparently if the fish has previously been frozen or has been smoked it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->