Foods to avoid?

babytots

Reaction score
Its been nearly 3 years since I was last pregnant and I know that the guidelines constantly change. So what do I need to avoid whilst pregnant? x

Its been nearly 3 years since I was last pregnant and I know that the guidelines constantly change. So what do I need to avoid whilst pregnant? x

raw foods and anything else that doesn't sound good is what my dr said

One of the things that took me off guard was the warning to avoid deli meats. Although, use your best judgement because I've also read that the chances of actually getting sick from deli meats isn't increased....just if you do get sick from them, that it's very harmful to baby.

There's so many rules anymore .... Everything is scary!!! I'm so cautious .... My friend is care free.... She wants fish/ shrimp she goes for it, eats sandwiches daily, orders a steak medium,drinks her coffee , and even an occasional small glass of wine .......
I'm warming up my lunch meat 90% of the time and avoiding feta cheese and etc lol ..... I'd like to be more like her and just eat what I want when I want though!! Maybe after the 1st trimester I'll get a bit more easy breezy...
I guess when we think about it our parents had no rules and we all came out pretty fine!

I think feta is fine as long as it's made from pasteurised milk. Last time I was pregnant the NHS guidelines said no cold cuts (i.e. deli meats) but this time they say they no longer recommend that. I was a bit distressed to discover that I can't have a Peperami though as hubby looked on the back and it looks like they are only cured and not actually cooked. Boo! Another thing to add to the list :-(

Non pasteurized dairy items are taboo because of the potential for bacteria. Lysteria is not very common and if you buy precooked lunch meats or get the sandwiches from places like Subway, they are perfectly safe. I eat shrimp and salmon weekly as they are good for you to eat. Just avoid sushi if it contains raw fish. I drink one cup of coffee daily and have the occasional Coke or glass of iced tea. Doctors said that so long as you use common sense, you can pretty much eat whatever you ate before you were pregnant. Heck, I even eat rare steak as it's the only way I can chew it and I love the flavor. I'm pregnant with my 7th child and never had any issues with foods other than an aversion to tuna and sour cream.

Thanks ladies. I may look up the guidelines to see what I need to avoid. x

I eat what I want when I want. I did with my 3 girls also. Thing is, I don't like the things we pregnant women aren't suppose to eat anyway lol. Well I do like Subway but it's a Sunday thing for me and it's heated twice.

I was super paranoid w/ my first pregnancy. This one... meh.
While I think some of the food guidelines are ok (like limiting high mercury fish), I think most of them are grey area.
Lots of women eat cold lunch meat w/ no problem. Lots of women still eat sushi, rare steak etc etc.
If you want something, eat it IMO.

I eat what I want when I want. I did with my 3 girls also. Thing is, I don't like the things we pregnant women aren't suppose to eat anyway lol. Well I do like Subway but it's a Sunday thing for me and it's heated twice.

I love subway too so wouldn't be able to give up eating them either. Everything else I either don't like or can live without :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->