For experienced moms: do you have to push right when you're fully dilated?

PegLeg2na

Reaction score
I just thought of this yesterday when watching to Freebirthing videos. The baby just seemed to come on out with minimal effort! I also watch a lot of "A Baby Story" (mostly so I know what I want and don't want to happen during my birth experience) and I've picked up on that doctors seem to want you to start pushing right when you reach 9 cm. Can you wait until you feel the urge? I know you're not supposed to start pushing before you reach 9 cm because you risk damaging the cervix. But is there really any rush after you get to 9 cm or can you just wait for the baby to decide when it's ready to come out?

As soon as the nurse said i was fully dialated it went so fast they put my legs up I was pushing!

your fully dialated at 10cm and ive never ha to be told when to push i just follow my body but ive never had an epidural and i've been lucky. The only time its been more difficult was when my LO was in distress and i was not quite fully dilated but i had to get him out quickly so pushed early-luckily it wasnt mush of a problem and i needed no intervention and he was fine. :)

for me i didn't need telling when to push, it wasn't even really a conscious choice to push,it just kind of happened and i had no choice but to go a long with it lol x

I didn't need telling either, I just suddenly got the urge to push and really couldn't help doing it!

For me it just happened. My body took over and i just had the urge and did it. Don't worry yourself about it mother nature tells you what to do and it's the most amazing thing you will ever experience :)

i dont actually remember getting the urge! Tbh we were all in so much shock when they examined me and i was 9cm (was at 3cm less than an hour before) i dont remember a whole lot, i remember the mws rushing to get aprons on, stirrups up etc and they kept asking did i need to push and i kept saying no lol. I honestly dont remember much after that apart from doing a couple of screams and poppys head going in and out lol.

Thanks, all! I'm more worried about being told to push when I don't feel the urge, actually. But I'm guessing that probably won't be a problem! Thanks for all the responses :flower:

p.s. We have the same due date!

I've had 2 vbac delivery both with no time for any pain relief as the labour was extremely fast, and when it came Tim to push the midwives kept telling me to stop and wait cox they weren't ready yet lol, but I kinda sat up and bubby went flying out onto the bed and they were like we told you not to push :) ooppsie... Id only literally just went from laying down to a sitting up position, (my babes were born at 31weeks & 34 weeks) Your body will take over and tell you naturally when to push, I wouldn't worry too much it's amazing what our bodies are very wellcapable of

This is our first and if someone tells me to push when I don't feel like it I'm gonna rip their head off! I say just let your body do the thinking. I see it like this when you have to poo no matter what you do your body naturally pushes it out. I think I all be kinda like this your body know what to do and I will let mine do it all for me! Good luck!!

I never felt the urge to push, but ended up pushing anyway as I thought I probably should. I'm sure that's why I tore. I've been reading up this time on 'breathing the baby down' and not really pushing at all. Obviously, if I get the urge I will go with it though!

Hun, when youve got to push you've got to push, you have absolutely no control over it at that point. Like the other girls have said, your body just takes over & does what is necessary. I had a waterbirth with only one vaginal exam - in maternity triage to tell me how dilated I was - 6-7cms - so no one told me to push, I remember saying at one point "I feel like I need to push" & they were like "follow your body, do what you feel you need to" - not at all what I'd expected from the nhs but excellent & totally right xx

I felt the urge to push and kept pushin but when MW examined me i was only 5cm's so was told to stop pushing as it cud swell up the cervix makin it harder to dilate. And trying to stop pushin is the hardest thing lol. But when i was told i cud push i ended up pushing for 2hrs 5mins with no luck anyway and ended up with assisted delivery. But i no some women get to 10cms and head isnt descended yet so thye dont need to push or feel the urge. Just follow your bodys natural instinct

I was fully dilated but ds wasn't ready - he was still too high. I had to let the contractions bring him down for a while before I started wanting to push.

You'll know when you're ready to push. And when you are, there will be no stopping you!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->