For ladies who have an Rh Negative blood type...

Violet3

Mama to 1 baba <3
Reaction score
Helloo :)

I hope all of your pregnancies are going smoothly and you and your little bean(s) are healthy ! :D

I found out at my 13 week scan that my blood type is rhesus negative and it was explained to me that, although this pregnancy will be fine, any pregnancies after this one will be in danger of miscarriage if the baby's blood type is positive because my blood will reject it. Anyway, I know that I have to have an injection at 28 weeks to stop what I just mentioned happening, but is that it ? Is it one injection at 28 weeks then I'm fine, or do I need more injections further on in my pregnancy too, or maybe even after this baby is born ?

Thanks ladies. :)

You will have one at 28 weeks and at any other stage in pregnancy if you have a bleed...fingers crossed that wont happen. After baby is born they will give you another shot if the baby is Rh +ve, if baby is also negative there's no need for more.

On top of the one at 28 weeks, you will need one after delivery if your baby's blood type is positive. If it is negative like yours, there will be no need. Also, if you experience any bleeding during your pregnancy, you will need a shot no matter when it is. I am negative and this is my third child. With my first I had the shot at 28 weeks and after delivery because my son was positive. With my second child, I had the shot at 28 weeks, but not after delivery because she was negative as well. This child has a different father, who is negative too, so I am refusing the shot at 28 weeks because the baby will also be negative.

I am Rh- and have never been told there is a higher risk of miscarriage in subsequent pregnancies.

I have had 3 babies with no Rh- related complications. All kiddos are + too so I just had the injection after their births.

Thank you for the advice so far !

So when my baby is born, will I be told what blood type they are ? I really hope so because I didn't know mine until I got pregnant and neither of my parents ever got told so I've gone all these years not knowing ! I'd love to know my baby's type.

Thank you for the advice so far !

So when my baby is born, will I be told what blood type they are ? I really hope so because I didn't know mine until I got pregnant and neither of my parents ever got told so I've gone all these years not knowing ! I'd love to know my baby's type.

They may not directly tell you but you will know by whether you are given the anti d or not.

Yes, they will test your baby's blood. And I think you have to have the shot within 48 hours of delivery if baby is positive, but don't quote me, it might be 24. I've also never had a miscarriage or any problems during pregnancy with my blood attacking baby, so don't worry.

im o neg and on my second pregnancy, so i really wouldnt listen to that "information"

i was never told zanes blood type other then he was + so i had the anti d after birth which again was fine.
x

They will test the blood from the umbillical cord and if the baby is Rh+ then you will need another injection within 3 days. Im Rh- and i have a injection at 28weeks then another at 36weeks and then one after if the baby is Rh+. As long as the blood from either of you doesn't get to the other, future pregnancies should be safe :)
This is a link i found in first tri, the second comment is extremely informative, hope it helps!! https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...obstetric-cholestasis-rhd-factors-rhesus.html
xx

Just so I'm 100% understanding this, if I'm given the Anti D after baby's born, then they're positive, yes ? :)

And forgodssake, I was told that because I am Rh-, if my baby is Rh+ and I experience any bleeding, my blood will be introduced to this new blood type and unless I have the Anti D jab, any subsequent pregnancies may result in miscarriage if the baby's blood is Rh+ because my blood will recognise the + blood from my first baby and try to get rid of the 'cause' of it (the baby). I was quite shocked when they told me this after my scan, so I even talked to my midwife about it at my 15 week appointment and she told me the same thing ! I'll definitely be getting the jab, I want more babies ! XD xx

Just so I'm 100% understanding this, if I'm given the Anti D after baby's born, then they're positive, yes ? :)

And forgodssake, I was told that because I am Rh-, if my baby is Rh+ and I experience any bleeding, my blood will be introduced to this new blood type and unless I have the Anti D jab, any subsequent pregnancies may result in miscarriage if the baby's blood is Rh+ because my blood will recognise the + blood from my first baby and try to get rid of the 'cause' of it (the baby). I was quite shocked when they told me this after my scan, so I even talked to my midwife about it at my 15 week appointment and she told me the same thing ! I'll definitely be getting the jab, I want more babies ! XD xx

Yes, this is true. But good news is the shot works!

i had a bleed at 6 weeks with my son and they didnt give me anti d so i was shitting myself! but all was fine.

some of my aunties have had mc that were linked to them being neg but they can be sure so i think its just something to blame it on more the anything.

and yes if babies blood is + u will have another anti d after the birth, i had mine the next day x

I would hope so, Joesgirl !! :) I want this baby to have at least one sibling. I'm an only child and have always wished that I had siblings, plus people used to say I was 'spoiled' because I was the only kid so my parents would spend everything on me instead of things being divided between children etc. I want my little one to have a little brother/sister to grow up with and be friends with, and perhaps not be judged as being 'spoiled' !! XD x

Moomin_troll, thank you for the info :) I honestly thought it was one jab at 28 weeks and that was it. Unfortunately I'm wrong haha ! X

Moomin_troll, thank you for the info :) I honestly thought it was one jab at 28 weeks and that was it. Unfortunately I'm wrong haha ! X

they arent too bad and im terrifyed of injections, it can be scary when u find out because ur blood u might need all these injections, luckly i had heads up and knew i was neg because my sister is.

u and baby will be fine and dont worry about not being able to have another baby x

they arent too bad and im terrifyed of injections, it can be scary when u find out because ur blood u might need all these injections, luckly i had heads up and knew i was neg because my sister is.

u and baby will be fine and dont worry about not being able to have another baby x

Hahaha, you're terrified of injections.. When I realised I had to go for my flu jab all by myself I could have died !! :O Luckily I was okay, I tensed up and said 'ouch !' But I didn't cry and that's a big thing for me haha ! When I was rushed to hospital with massive cramps (I had an ovarian cyst which popped) at 6 weeks pregnant, I had to have blood taken and have a cannula fitted into my arm, I kicked and screamed and sobbed no end !! It was so traumatising ! The worst part was that OH wasn't allowed to stay with me overnight. So you can imagine how proud I was when I had my bloods taken to check for Down's- OH and my friend both came with me but I made them wait in the waiting room so I could prove that I could have it done all by myself ! It's the first time EVER that I didn't tense up, and I didn't cry or say 'ow' or anything ! I was grinning no end that day !! XD

my oh was always with me when i had my injections and bloods with zane. hes not around this time so when i had my 12 week bloods done i was alone and was brave hahaha i normaly cry too lol

the thought is always worse then it actualy happening.
they put a drip in my hand after i had zane (it wasnt even used) but i just didnt care. they brused my hand so bad :(

I would hope so, Joesgirl !! :) I want this baby to have at least one sibling. I'm an only child and have always wished that I had siblings, plus people used to say I was 'spoiled' because I was the only kid so my parents would spend everything on me instead of things being divided between children etc. I want my little one to have a little brother/sister to grow up with and be friends with, and perhaps not be judged as being 'spoiled' !! XD x

Don't worry at all! There's lots of us with Rh negative blood and I haven't heard of anyone having problems. Like I said, this is my third baby, third pregnancy. The shot is just a precaution. And don't worry about the shot. I've always had to have mine in the bum/hip and it's such a thin needle you barely feel anything. I don't even think it burned or anything. Very unmemorable, and I'm not fond of IV's, getting bloods drawn, etc..

Don't worry at all! There's lots of us with Rh negative blood and I haven't heard of anyone having problems. Like I said, this is my third baby, third pregnancy. The shot is just a precaution. And don't worry about the shot. I've always had to have mine in the bum/hip and it's such a thin needle you barely feel anything. I don't even think it burned or anything. Very unmemorable, and I'm not fond of IV's, getting bloods drawn, etc..

Oh my god ! :o what ? XD I was NOT told that it would be in my bum/hip ! :dohh: I assumed it would be a normal arm jab ! Oh noooo, now I'm really scared because I've only ever had needles/bloods taken in my arm ! Oh god I'm going all squeemy now and can't sit still haha ! :wacko: I'm actually struggling to type because it's making me dizzy ! XD arghhh I'm so scared. :( I wish they'd bloody tell me these things so I could prepare myself xD ! Do I have to have it ? Is it compulsory ? :( or can I demand it in my arm ? :dohh: x

Hi :)

I will just explain my situation, I didn't read all the posts :)

I had a mc my first pregnancy and had the needle.

My second pregnancy I only needed at the normal 28 weeks or whatever time, because I already had the shot with the first bleed. I believe if you had bleeding they will test to see if you have an antibodies in your system. If you have antibodies, then thats when a problem would arise. I had another shot when she was born. Pretty sure its routine, I don't remember what my daughters blood type is, I don't think they told me.

Third pregnancy now, I had some spotting. I had the shot RIGHT AWAY at 7 weeks. I haven't had other spotting, just that one incident. I was tested with my routine bloodwork and I haven't developed any antibodies. I get the shot again at my normal 28 week time and when the baby is born.

It is not a problem for first time babies because the antibodies do take awhile to show up (says my sister who works blood lab) Even say with this, my third pregnancy that has had bleeding, if I started developing antibodies right now, it probably would only be a problem with my next pregnancy not this one.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->