For Rh negatives

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by Rmar, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Rmar

Rmar Well-Known Member

If you are Rh negative you probably already know the shot that is recommended that you get. I just read about a new test that tells you whether your baby is Rh + or - before the first dose of the shot so in other words whether a shot would be either neccessary or unneccessary.

https://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/rh-negative-genotyping.html

There is a link. If you are, ask your doctor about the test.

2. SarahMelissa

SarahMelissa Maxy & Benny's Mummy

Thanks for this info, i just found out yesterday that i am AB- so i will asking my Ob/Gyn about this blood test.

3. Rmar

Rmar Well-Known Member

Ooooh AB-. Do you feel special?:haha:

I have always wanted to have a rare blood type just so I could feel different.

4. Parkep

Parkep Very happy mom

hey hun im AB- as well but OH is O-, most of the time they still give me the shot just due to the risks of being wrong with OH's blood type. It says the test is 98% accurate, there is still a risk, and for me having a little shot far out ways the risk. Its neat though because i didnt even know this was out there

5. SarahMelissa

SarahMelissa Maxy & Benny's Mummy

I guess i feel a little special considering apparently less than 1% of people worldwide are AB- but for the sake of it being extra hassle/worry during pregnancy, i would rather not be special just this one time :rofl:

6. Rmar

Rmar Well-Known Member

I guess it does outweigh the risk because the risk of your body attacking future pregnancies is 1/200 without the shot (1/100 000 with the shot) and the risk of serious side effects from the shot is 1/60 000. But the risk is still there and I would love to be able to find out and then make a decision.

7. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Where do they draw the blood from this test? Im having a hard time understanding, I thought the only way to draw fetal blood was through the placenta?

Im just curious, thats all x

I am A- and i've had the rogham shot and have never really worried about it.

8. JennTheMomma

JennTheMomma Mommy of 1 & Expecting #2

I'm RH- and DH is also -. You don't need a shot if you are - as you can't make a + baby then.

9. Maybebaby80

Maybebaby80 Well-Known Member

I am RH- and hubby is RH+ so pretty high chance baby will be + as it is the more dominant group. MW said it is now not necessary to have the jab during pregnancy unless you have a large bleed or a fall. Then when the baby is here the cord will be tested and if baby is + I will be given jab then to cover me for the subsequent pregnancies.

10. Embovstar

Embovstar Mummy to Isaac 23.04.10

Thanks for this post. I found out lastg week that Im o rh neg. Not sure what husband is so its the anti d for me.

Nicola xx