~* For the "Did I O?" Ladies *~ (An Ovulation and BBT Temping Guide)

pinksprinkles

Reaction score
This post has been edited to include much more information for new BnB members and those who want to understand ovulation more fully. It now also contains a comparison of BBT Thermometers at its conclusion. I hope you enjoy the read. The title was changed multiple times on the original post, causing bookmarks for the page to no longer work. Please update to this link. :flower:

DEAR "DID I O?" LADIES

There are a lot of you out there! Every day I see many posts from ladies who are trying to figure out what is going on "in there". Usually, I go thread by thread having a very similar discussion with each of you wonderful women. I have often thought about writing a "cut and paste" answer, but I did not feel that that would honor the connection that we all have with each other here on BnB.

This post is meant to summarize what I have learned while studying BBT in relation to women's reproduction into a concise, helpful answer. The main thing I'd like to say, is that if you want to know for sure if you've O'd you can chart your Basal Body Temperature, or BBT!. For many women, charting will tell you exactly what is happening in there! You can usually pinpoint O to the day! It is simple. It is easy. And it will save you loads of stress.

BUT WAIT! DID I "O"?

No matter what your Cervical Mucus (CM), no matter your Cervical Position (CP), no matter your spotting, no matter your cramps, and no matter your normal cycle length- there is no way to know if you have O'd or not without a chart of your BBT. Only your BBT thermometer is going to be able to tell you that!

If you need help identifying possibly Ovulation times, and you haven't charted your BBT yet, don't fret! All the ladies on this board can help guess at your possible O date, and we will all offer our best advice. We will all offer words of wisdom from our own lives.

If you really do want to know if you O'd or not, BBT is the only way to know for sure.

I know temping can sound a bit overwhelming at first, or maybe you just don't know much about it and don't know where to go for in-depth info- those are things I hear frequently. And they are valid concerns! In this post I want to show you that temping is quick, it's easy, and it delivers a wealth of knowledge. Knowledge that is easily understood if you're given the tools you need. Hopefully, this post will help you in figuring out the basics of temping and get you to a place that you are more comfortable with the idea! :flower:

(Disclaimer (addressing some original post issues): I do realize that temping doesn't work for everyone and there are definitely ladies out there who are unable to temp- but for many women, temping can be a wonderful tool: This post is for those women.)

CHARTING YOUR BBT

Charting your BBT will save you a world of stress. It will leave you feeling empowered and in control of your body. It will let you know that you are BD'ing on the right day. It will help you figure out mid-cycle spotting. If at some point you do need to go to your doctor to try to figure out fertility issues down the road, your charts are going to be very helpful. (This is how I started charting! My doctor wanted to know what was happening in my cycle and said, "Jamie, go pick up a BBT thermometer! Let's figure out what's going on in there!") It turns out that if you chart, you can actually show your OB/Gyn when you are ovulating, what your body is doing, when it's maybe not doing what you'd like. You're pretty much saying, "This is important to me and I've taken the time to do my bit." And it only costs about $10 for a BBT thermometer.

For all the hoopla and gadgets and everything else that goes along with TTC that we spend money on, at the bare bones of it all, $10 is al you need to know what is going inside your body, how long your luteal phase is, if you're BD'ing at the right time, etc, etc, etc. Now your BBT isn't going to tell you when you are going to O, that's what OPK's are for. But, it will tell you if you have. Which is great, because a positive OPK doesn't mean you have O'd- it means your body will try to O. It may fail. You may have to BD again later in the cycle. I have had cycles where I had four separate LH surges (positive OPK's), each several days apart before my body actually O'd!

Many of us have wondered if we're skipping a cycle, O'ing at all, wondering why we're not pregnant yet. Maybe you've been TTC for 4 months and you are starting to doubt your own fertility! All of the pressure us ladies go around putting on ourselves is unhealthy and many times unnecessary- and that is why I so highly recommend charting your BBT.

Reasons to Temp:

1. To cut down on stress associated with TTC.
2. You know when/if you've O'd.
3. You might have an idea about what some mystery spotting means.
4. You'll know if you're having sex (BD'ing) on the right days.
5. You can bring the charts to your doctor if you're having reproductive/fertility issues.
6. You will know when to expect your period.
7. You will know more about your personal cycle.
8. Over time, you'll have the ability to notice if something is "not right" in your cycle. In some cases this means early diagnosis of infection/disease/etc. Early detection of women's reproductive illnesses saves lives!

There are many other reasons to temp, but I find these to be some of the best!

THE NITTY-GRITTY, or HOW IT ALL WORKS

Guys have it so easy. They just produce their little swimmers at a constant rate, squirt them out on occasion, continue making some more. Not a lot going on there for the average guy! But for us women, things are nowhere near so cut and dry. We're ever changing tides of hormones, chemical, surges, and plateaus. We change every day as our bodies prepare to nurture a sticky little bean if one happens to come along and snuggle up for a nine month journey, and clean up and redecorate the "nursery" if it doesn't. With so much going on in there, it's hard to know what's happening most of the time, but, when you strip it down to the bare bones, our cycles can usually be accurately displayed in our BBT's.

BBT is determined by the chemicals in our bodies. Different hormones cause our temperature to change throughout our cycles.

At the onset of our periods, we become a blank slate of chemicals. As we approach O, our estrogen levels rise. Rising estrogen lowers our temperatures as we approaching ovulation, as well as causes changes in our cervical position and our cervical mucous. Estrogen, in conjunction with Luteinizing Hormone (generally refereed to as LH), also causes softening and subsequent dialation of the cervix to allow sperm to enter.

Estrogen also LOWERS our temperatures!

During the pre-O phase, and while the estrogen level of our bodies rises, our ovaries grow many follicles each developing an egg. When the LH surges into our system, our body begins the process of ovulation. From the onset of LH, it takes about 24-48 hours to build up to O. At that point, as one of the follicles bursts open, it releases an egg. At the same time, the luteinizing hormone transforms that follice into something new! The Corpus Luteum!

During the LH surge, just before O, we may notice a DIP in temperature!

For the next 10-16 days, the Corpus Luteum will be in charge of Progesterone production (along with slight amounts of estrogen). Progesterone is the hormone that says "Hey! There's an egg out there and we need to see if it will get fertilized or not! Batten down the hatches! Don't let that period start yet!"

Progesterone also RAISES our temperatures!

For the next week, the released egg goes on qute a journey. As the hormones in our bodies cause tiny, soft hairs in our fallopian tubes to brush the egg down, and finally into, the uterus, the uterine lining continues to thicken and prepare for implantation. If fertilized and able, the egg will implant in the uterus.

If the egg has been fertilized and does implant, the egg sends a message to the Corpus Luteum to keep going! The Corpus Leteum says "Woohoo!" and continues the production of progesterone. It will keep up progesterone production until the placenta establishes itself and begins hormone regulation. You will notice your temperature stay elevated throughout your pregnancy!

When the Corpus Luteum receives the signal (Woohoo!) we may notice a DIP in our temperature.

After the dip, some women notice a 2nd RISE in temperature to a level they would not normally see if they were not pregnant!

If the egg does not implant, the Corpus Luteum dies, Progesterone levels fall, and the mean old :witch: shows up for a visit! (aka: our periods begin.) This marks the beginning of a new cycle.

If we do not become pregnant, Progesterone falls and our temperature LOWERS.

TEMPERATURE SUMMARY

At the begining of our cycle, estrogen builds and our temps are LOW. At the LH surge, our temperature may DIP as we prepare to O. After O, the progeseterone produced by the Corpus Lutem causes out temperatures to RISE.

If we are pregnant, we may notice a DIP or RISE (or both) in our temps. Our temperature will stay elevated throughout pregnancy.

If we are not pregnant, out temps will fall. This is when menstruation occurs.

Please check out my August 2011 Chart chart at Fertility Friend. (You will need to scroll down.)

My August chart shows a pretty standard BBT flow with LOW PRE-O TEMPS, an OVULATION DIP, HIGH POST-O TEMPS, and FALLING PERIOD TEMPS.

TAKING YOUR BBT

Now that you understand how your BBT works, the hard part is over! Now all you need to do is temp and chart. Here is a step by step guide to temping:

1. Pick up a BBT thermometer. The BD Basal on Amazon is the most accurate BBT thermometer on the marker. If you are able to order it, that is the one to get. It is accurate to .1F. The Wallgreens thermometer comes in at a close second at somewhere between .09 and .16 degree accuracy. (it measures in C and converts to F, actual accuracy is unknown but somewhere in the given range.) I use the Walgreens BBT thermometer as it was easier and faster to acquire. The new CVS thermometer offered on their website is NOT recommended.

2. Start a chart. Most women on BnB use Fertility Friend. I recommend it because it is easy to link to you chart. (Simply go to Sharing -> Setup to get your chart code.) Also, since so many women on here use it, we'll always be able to help you decipher what your chart says!

3. Choose you temping method. You can temp orally if you prefer, but vaginal temping will usually give better results. (Your mouth can very much more easily depending on room temp, mouth breathing, etc.) Whichever you choose, you must stick with it for the entire cycle because vaginal temps are warmer than oral temps- and switching mid-ycle will mess up your chart.

4. Choose your temping time. You must chart at the same time everyday before you get out of bed or move around at all. If you wake up at the exact same time everyday, temp then. If you wake up at different times every day figure out when the best temping time is and set an alarm. IE: I generally get up somewhere between 8:30am and noon, depending on the day. But I hardly ever have to be up before 8:30. And I'm always in bed by 5a. Since an accurate BBT requires 3 hours of sleep before temping I set my alarm clock for 8:30. Many mornings, I temp, and then go back to sleep.

5. Temp and Record. Temp each morning and record it on your chart. The first month might be confusing, but looking back on your temps, you should be able to notice when different hormones were running the show.

6. Be excited! You now have a much deeper understanding of your body than many women out there. Feel empowered by that knowledge!

EVEN MORE INFO!

Charting your Cervical Position, Cervical Mucus, and other signs and symptoms can enhance you charting experience as well as help you to know when to Baby Dance (Often seen on BnB as "BD", aka, have sex). If you use Fertility Friend, you can check out the charting guides. There is an entire lesson plan built into the site that very simply explains how to go about charting all of your different symptoms.

Even if you are only charting your BBT, I highly recommend going throught the Fertility Friend lessons. The lessons will simply and easily go through what to expect when analyzing your temps as well as explain the amazing features built in to the site. You will be very glad you took the time to go through them.

As mentioned earlier, the first month may be confusing, but don't give up! After a few cycles, you'll never again have to guess if you have O'd. You can leave the guessing where is belongs: the infamous Two Week Wait! (2ww, or tww)

AND now you can share your chart with others. Go on and post it in your signature on BnB. Simply click on the BnB "quick Links" in your menu bar and go to "Edit Signature". You can put the link from your FF "Share Page" in there!

I hope this post helps you to take charge of your fertility! And I hope it leaves you feeling empowered with the knowledge that yes, you can know what's going on "in there"!

:dust:

~*BBT THERMOMETER COMPARISON*~

CVS BBT THERMOMETER

I ordered the CVS purple thermometer off their site this past week to check out and when it arrived it turned out to be a different (white) thermometer. I did call up CVS and bring it to their attention and they said they'd get the website fixed as soon as possible. The rep I spoke to doesn't think that they are carrying the purple one any more.

As for the new white thermometer, it has some serious issues:

1. It continues to read your temp after it beeps to say it is done. (I had it "beep" at 98.3-ish, but then it kept temping up to around 98.9!)

2. The thermometer is VERY short. I temp vaginally and was having a hard time getting the thermometer to the correct depth without it disappearing. (Sorry for tmi.)

3. I used it three times in a row (all about 2 minutes apart) and got three VERY different readings- all at least .2 degrees apart. Eep!

BD BASAL THERMOMETER

BD Basal is the only thermometer I feel confident in recommending you buy at this time. The BD Basal looks to be the best thermometer out right now (accurate to .1F, the accuracy recommend by the book Taking Charge of your Fertility) and it can be found on Amazon.

WALGREENS BBT THERMOMETER

I also looked into the Walgreens BBT issue.

The concern so far is that the Walgreens and Walmart BBT have been displaying "repeat" temps. From what I've discovered, this is probably not true. What's appears to be going on is that the thermometers measure in C, not F, and convert to F temps. Since C is less "accurate" than F (because C measures in a rougher gradient), the conversions come across as what folks have been calling "repeat temps", but they're just the conversions of C, and just as accurate as their C counterpart. If true, this may make the Walgreen BBT more accurate than the BD Basal, coming in at somewhere between .09F (more accurate) and .16F (less accurate) accuracy. However, this is speculation. And I do not recommend buying this thermometer based off speculation.

NOTE: Some women notice that they sometimes get temps that are not .09-.16F apart. It is theorized that the thermometer may ALSO be checking for .1 degree accuracy F readings, and displaying them if they are closer to the actual temp than the C conversion would be. If this is the case, it would make the Walgreens/Walmart BBT more accurate than the BD Basal.

CONCLUSION

BD BASAL is the best choice for new charters as it has a published accuracy and in easy to understand. However, those ladies already charting with Walgreens/Walmart BBT thermometers need not switch if they have not noticed any issues. That being said, since there have been some issues with Walgreens thermometers in the past, I would not recommend buying one.

thanks for this info. I am totally freaking out about whether I ovulated and am checking CM and just can't tell what it is. If I don't get pregnant this month I am going to try to temp. When is a good time to start (like in the cycle). and do u know where I can buy one in the US (not online if possible)?

thanks for this info. I am totally freaking out about whether I ovulated and am checking CM and just can't tell what it is. If I don't get pregnant this month I am going to try to temp. When is a good time to start (like in the cycle). and do u know where I can buy one in the US (not online if possible)?

You can start charting as soon as you'd like. If you start mid-cycle, it probably won't tell you a lot now, but looking back at this point next cycle you'll have something to compare to.

If you can possibly buy one online, BD Basal is a very good thermometer, but if that is not possible, I recommend the pink Walgreens BBT thermometer. You can usually find it near the pregnancy tests. It may help to call around to the different Walgreen locations first, as not all stores carry it.

If you do not have a Walgreens in your area, the purple CVS thermometer is also good. The purple is only sold in stores and cannot be ordered online. (The online site shows a purple one, but they send you a white one. Whatever you do, do not get the white CVS thermometer.)

thanks for this pinksprinkles, I am in my second month of charting, first month was very dodgy & it doesn't appear that I o'd at all, this month I am finding it easier & am making sure I temp at the same time each morning, also this month I am trying to understand my cm & cervix position, I tried to do it all last month & ended up just stressing myself out way too much so decided to just concentrate on temping correctly.

Feel free to take a look at my chart & let me know if you think I am going wrong somewhere!

thanks for this pinksprinkles, I am in my second month of charting, first month was very dodgy & it doesn't appear that I o'd at all, this month I am finding it easier & am making sure I temp at the same time each morning, also this month I am trying to understand my cm & cervix position, I tried to do it all last month & ended up just stressing myself out way too much so decided to just concentrate on temping correctly.

Feel free to take a look at my chart & let me know if you think I am going wrong somewhere!

I just checked out your charts and your doing a great job of charting. You're really not doing it wrong at all!

Looking at your temps from this cycle and last, it looks like last cycle you probably ovulated around CD 10/11. See how all you temps before then were a lot lower and then it jumped up to a higher range? So I would guess you O'd around there. It will probably do something similar this month, temperature-wise.

I know you didn't get a positive OPK, but it is possible you just missed your LH surge based on when it happened and when you tested. Which OPK's are you using?

I think that this month will be a lot more clear to you since you started temping on CD1 and you are checking your CM and CP. :) If you have a slower rise after O, other signs can really help in knowing your O date.

Thanks - this is great!!

This is my first month using BBT and concerned it says I havent ov yet. I'm using it with fertility friend.

I am concerned that i always take it after I've got up and gone peed on a stick and I am doing it orally which I know is less accurate. How much do these matter?

I do have cramps now so maybe I ov late for some reason (typical as now in other country to dh!) well I guess only the temps tommorrow will tell!

Thanks again x

Aw pinksprinkles, what a doll you are. Pat yourself on the back. You have done thousands of women such a huge favor & solved all of our pregnancy woes with your very useful ovulation guide! You should write a book...I sure would purchase it! Worth every penny!

PS. The ONLY way to find out whether or not you "O'd", is to go to the doctor and test for progesterone. Please, next time you write one of your wonderful "guides" remember to include the facts.

Aw pinksprinkles, what a doll you are. Pat yourself on the back. You have done thousands of women such a huge favor & solved all of our pregnancy woes with your very useful ovulation guide! You should write a book...I sure would purchase it! Worth every penny!

PS. The ONLY way to find out whether or not you "O'd", is to go to the doctor and test for progesterone. Please, next time you write one of your wonderful guides remember to include the facts.

Thanks - this is great!!

This is my first month using BBT and concerned it says I havent ov yet. I'm using it with fertility friend.

I am concerned that i always take it after I've got up and gone peed on a stick and I am doing it orally which I know is less accurate. How much do these matter?

I do have cramps now so maybe I ov late for some reason (typical as now in other country to dh!) well I guess only the temps tommorrow will tell!

Thanks again x

Temping orally can definitely cause variation and if temping vaginally is possible, it works much better. I temped orally the first month I ever did BBT charting, and I had a really difficult time reading my chart, so I switched.

However, I think the most important thing is temping as soon as you wake up, before you move around at all. As soon as you start moving, your temp begins to rise- and it's doesn't rise the same way every time, so you can end up with super wonky temps.

Can you put your thermometer on your nightstand by you alarm clock? That way it is right there ready for you in the morning.

If you've got a link to your chart, I could take a look at it for you. :flower:

The ONLY way to find out whether or not you "O'd", is to go to the doctor and test for progesterone.

You're right: In the case of illnesses that cause fever, or other situations that could cause a temp spike, BBT might not tell you when you O'd. And if you do need medical confirmation of ovulation, a doctor can perform a progesterone check.

Thanks so much for this info. Just a quick question...can I temp with a digital ear thermometer or will that not work properly?

Thanks for that, started temping mid way through my last cycle and I am approaching OV now (hopefully) but still dont quite 'get' it lol...Would love it if you could take a look at my chart and let me know what you think..x

EDIT- also how do some people get the red (base line?) line on their graphs?

Thanks so much for this info. Just a quick question...can I temp with a digital ear thermometer or will that not work properly?

Hmmm.... I've never really thought about using an ear thermometer before.

I would think that changes in room temp could affect ear temp. I would also worry that an ear thermometer would not be as accurate as a BBT thermometer. Many non-BBT thermometers are only accurate to .2 degrees and you really need something accurate to .1, but you can usually pick up a BBT thermometer for about $7 at Walgreens. Since they're making the thermometers to be used for charting BBT, the manufacturers generally take in account the need for more accurate measurements.

Of course, you could try the ear thermometer for a cycle and see what you get. If it doesn't work you could always switch to a BBT thermometer if you haven't gotten your BFP yet.

Thanks for that, started temping mid way through my last cycle and I am approaching OV now (hopefully) but still dont quite 'get' it lol...Would love it if you could take a look at my chart and let me know what you think..x

Hi, Floralaura. :) The red lines are "crosshairs" and Fertility Friend will lay them down on your chart when it predicts ovulation. (If you look at my August chart you will see them. They are not on my September chart, because I used the "override" option to assign my own O date.)

The vertical red line is you O date, and the horizontal red line is your "coverline". You can get more info on the coverline here: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/Coverline-calculation-method.html

As for reading your chart, I took a look and I have a few questions. Do you have irregular periods? How long is your cycle? What is the shortest/longest your cycle has ever been? The reason I ask is because it looks like you may have already O'd.

To get an accurate chart reading, you need to temp every day. If you skip days early in your cycle, you can't establish what your pre-O temps are supposed to be. Since your temps right now look very similar to the temps you had towards the end of your last cycle- it makes me think you already ovulated, but didn't see the spike because you weren't temping when it occurred. Ovulation can occur as early as CD7 for some women, so it's important to temp every day to see your pattern.

Great job Hun! You sooo need to go into this field of work - if you don't already!!

Great job Hun! You sooo need to go into this field of work - if you don't already!!

Thanks! I've been self-studying reproductive health and midwifery for a few years now. Currently, OH and I are in the process of selling our house and moving cross-country, but I plan on going back to school to get my masters in midwifery once we're settled in out there and I find a midwife who will take me as her apprentice. (The few masters degree programs for midwifery in the US recommend setting up the apprenticeship before applying to the school. Luckily, they also offer distance-learning options so I'll be able to apprentice in my own community!) :)

Hi, Floralaura. :) The red lines are "crosshairs" and Fertility Friend will lay them down on your chart when it predicts ovulation. (If you look at my August chart you will see them. They are not on my September chart, because I used the "override" option to assign my own O date.)

The vertical red line is you O date, and the horizontal red line is your "coverline". You can get more info on the coverline here: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/Coverline-calculation-method.html

As for reading your chart, I took a look and I have a few questions. Do you have irregular periods? How long is your cycle? What is the shortest/longest your cycle has ever been? The reason I ask is because it looks like you may have already O'd.

To get an accurate chart reading, you need to temp every day. If you skip days early in your cycle, you can't establish what your pre-O temps are supposed to be. Since your temps right now look very similar to the temps you had towards the end of your last cycle- it makes me think you already ovulated, but didn't see the spike because you weren't temping when it occurred. Ovulation can occur as early as CD7 for some women, so it's important to temp every day to see your pattern.

Thanks for info about coverline..
I don't really have irregular periods..usually 30-34 days in length. Shortest is prob 29 days longest was probably about 40 days (when I was heavier though so think that has something to do with that). When TTC DS2 I usually OV'd on day 16 (used a CBFM then) and OV'd approx day 16-17 last cycle and the cycle before..so was assuming I am to ovulate in the next few days..I did get a 2nd line on a OPK on day 12 but it was very faint..the OPKS have been stark white since then (I even went and did another right now and zilch)..proper gutted now as only DTD on days 7/10/12 so have probably missed it if I have OV's already :cry:
My thermometer went AWOL those days so I couldnt temp at the start..:dohh: x

Hm, which thermometer do you use? Some of them can really mess up your chart. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"