For those already Mums: antenatal classes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Jeewizz, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jeewizz

Jeewizz Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm pregnant with my first, and I'm going to be a scheduled c-section, so I'm wondering whether antenatal classes are going to be worthwhile for me? It seems to me they are largely centred around labour and giving birth - is this right?

Cheers :)

2. Gracemum

Gracemum Full-time mum of 1

I found them useless to be honest. I got far more information from my babycentre book. I think that especially applies if you are having a c-section.

If you have any questions about praticalities (where to park, what to bring for your baby) I am sure your midwife can answer......

3. Gracemum

Gracemum Full-time mum of 1

I had a c-section - buy yourself some HUGE knickers that sit higher than your scar!

Good luck.

4. humblebum

humblebum Mummy to 2 boys

I also found my antenatal classes useless too. The breastfeeding police get on your case too (I'm all for it btw but I hate the way people are made to feel guilty if they struggle with it!)

I'm quite relieved they're not even an option on NHS second time round. xx

5. Lynsay

Lynsay Mummy to Jessica

I'm a first time mum, and I'm planning a natural birth, and I have booked in for the antenatal classes.

My friend has just had baby number two, and she had emergancy c-section's both times (she had planned for natural birth second time round)...She said that the classes didnt really tell her anything to prepare her for a caesarean, but she did meet some other mums (one of which gave birth the day before she did!) and she has a few good friends out of it now!

x

6. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

I never went to any with my son and I coped just fine.

7. jenb

jenb Well-Known Member

a friend of mine was telling me she found them helpful, she ended up having an emergency c section and gave birth 6 weeks early, she mentioned that one of the classes focused on c sections but she didnt get a change to go to that class as she delivered early, im planning on going ahead and signing up it will give my OH a chance to participate and hopefully we will meet some people

8. LetsTryAgain

LetsTryAgain Well-Known Member

I booked private NCT classes which helped me enormously through a natural birth but I do not think they focused at all on c-section as I remember.

9. Barbles

Barbles Mum to 1 & cooking 1 more

We dont have classes in my area, just an Ante-natal day!! While they did speak about labour & birth they also gave us other information such as how to feed, breast & bottle, how to change nappies, how to bath baby, etc all stuff that sounds obvious but I did pick up quite a few tips from it being a first time mum and never having changed a nappy before.
    I want to go again this time but I do know everything this time :(

10. Kiddo

Kiddo Well-Known Member

You can skip some of the classes if you want. I didn't go to the pain relief one as I knew there would be syringes there (which I'm terrified of) and I really didn't want anything more than gas and air anyway.

I did go to the labour, feeding and bringing baby home ones. There was also a tour of the hospital as part of the classes which I found handy as I could then visualise where I'd be giving birth and it helped me prepare a bit.