For those already Mums: antenatal classes

Jeewizz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pregnant with my first, and I'm going to be a scheduled c-section, so I'm wondering whether antenatal classes are going to be worthwhile for me? It seems to me they are largely centred around labour and giving birth - is this right?

Cheers :)

I found them useless to be honest. I got far more information from my babycentre book. I think that especially applies if you are having a c-section.

If you have any questions about praticalities (where to park, what to bring for your baby) I am sure your midwife can answer......

I had a c-section - buy yourself some HUGE knickers that sit higher than your scar!

Good luck.

I also found my antenatal classes useless too. The breastfeeding police get on your case too (I'm all for it btw but I hate the way people are made to feel guilty if they struggle with it!)

I'm quite relieved they're not even an option on NHS second time round. xx

I'm a first time mum, and I'm planning a natural birth, and I have booked in for the antenatal classes.

My friend has just had baby number two, and she had emergancy c-section's both times (she had planned for natural birth second time round)...She said that the classes didnt really tell her anything to prepare her for a caesarean, but she did meet some other mums (one of which gave birth the day before she did!) and she has a few good friends out of it now!

x

I never went to any with my son and I coped just fine.

a friend of mine was telling me she found them helpful, she ended up having an emergency c section and gave birth 6 weeks early, she mentioned that one of the classes focused on c sections but she didnt get a change to go to that class as she delivered early, im planning on going ahead and signing up it will give my OH a chance to participate and hopefully we will meet some people

I booked private NCT classes which helped me enormously through a natural birth but I do not think they focused at all on c-section as I remember.

We dont have classes in my area, just an Ante-natal day!! While they did speak about labour & birth they also gave us other information such as how to feed, breast & bottle, how to change nappies, how to bath baby, etc all stuff that sounds obvious but I did pick up quite a few tips from it being a first time mum and never having changed a nappy before.
I want to go again this time but I do know everything this time :(

You can skip some of the classes if you want. I didn't go to the pain relief one as I knew there would be syringes there (which I'm terrified of) and I really didn't want anything more than gas and air anyway.

I did go to the labour, feeding and bringing baby home ones. There was also a tour of the hospital as part of the classes which I found handy as I could then visualise where I'd be giving birth and it helped me prepare a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->