For those who had an epidural

Samemka

Mummy of 2 girlies
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot lately....

I was induced with Emma. Basically, at around 2pm I was examined and was 3cm.....but for the next hour & a half I was in complete agony & couldn't cope. I finally got an epidural at 3.30, although it didn't work and I had pain in one spot which was horrendous. Tried it again and it still didn't work. Told them I needed to poo (TMI lol) and they examined me.........lo and behold I was 10cm.

We waited an hour for her to descend and then, the epidural kicked in! I had a ventouse delivery because her heartrate dropped very low whenever I pushed. Two pushes and she was out. I didn't feel ANYTHING!!! No contractions, burning - NOTHING!

I went up to the postnatal ward expecting to be 'sore' in the morning - good lord, nothing could have prepared me for the pain!! I didn't feel anything cos I had the epidural, but stupid me thought I'd got away pretty 'in tact' which was NOT the case lol.

So I'm wondering - next time, if I have an epidural again, is this normal? I don't think it is & I'm scared that my pain free delivery this time (pain free from about 4.30pm...painful as hell from 9am-4.30PM lol I had her at 6.20pm) has 'spoiled' me, LOL

Just wanted to know others experiences....

I had epidural because it was a twin pregnancy and one twin was breech,so they wanted me to have it in case of an emergency c-section.

It didn't work AT ALL,and 8 months on i still have back pains and i can exactly feel where it was,i honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I had an epidural - I had been planning to go as natural as possible, and rely on breathing exercises, however that went out of the window!

I was induced, also, and the medics were 'surprised' how fast and strong the contractions were coming - but I didn't dilate for hours.

Basically, had the gel at 08:00 - contractions started at 12:00 and DD was born at 02:00. I had the epidural at about 22:00. So hours of very intense contractions...pethidine didn't touch them, gas and air made me sick and breathing and bath didn't touch them!!

As soon as I had the epidural, I actually felt like I was in charge and enjoying the process.

I didn't feel anything for a couple of days either, but then my episiotomy stitches were infected...so I felt plenty!

I'd have an epidural again - they did a great job, and I enjoyed my labour!

Mamalove - Sorry you had such a bad experience :( I'm completely different - I couldn't recommend it more because it just made me feel so much more in control again, it's such a shame how different peope can have such different experiences with it!

TennisGal - I completely agree about the change from agony to enjoyment!! And having it again - just not sure if I'm expecting something which isn;t going to happen next time lol

I had an epidural with Landon...I waited until 8cm and got it and I was wearing off right as I delivered so I could sort of feel, I'm sure not as much as if I hadn't had it at all, but I could feel the burning of delivering. I was up and walking around pretty much right after delivery, sitting up on a hard wooden chair, my dr was shocked...didn't know I "shouldn't" have been able to do it. I didn't have a bad experience because of the epidural at all that time.

With Hayden I had it again, he was my VBAC baby, my 3rd and while my contractions with Landon were not THAT bad, I just got the epidural because I was scared of waiting too long and being in tons of pain (I was also 16 lol). My contractions with Hayden started out bad and just got worse, I was in soooo much pain not even 2hrs into my labor that I was begging for them to just do the epidural already, but they were saying I was only 2cm so I couldn't have it until I made it to 3. Well my nurse felt really bad for me and knew I was in a ton of pain so she scheduled it. At 2am my water broke on it's own. I got the epidural at 2:45am. I am very sensitive to medications and they said they gave me just the normal dose to start off with and I was so numb, all the way to my neck, I had a cough at the time and I couldn't cough and started feeling like I couldn't breathe I just kept getting numb further and further up so they got the dr back in there to fix it so they turned it off fully for awhile then turned it back on after it started to wear off. They put me on the lowest dose and I was fine from then on. I was 4cm at 4am and that's about when they got the epidural fixed, I was able to relax then and he was born at 5:43am. I was a bit more sore that time after the delivery but I think my labor was just much harder that time and that's why.

I had the epidural. My waters had broke but no contractions so I had to be given the hormone drip to start them. Once they became quite intense I decided to have epidural as it helped during my first labour. This time was the opposite. I was able to inject myself every 40 minutes but needed it after 20! It just didn't help that much at all. Afterwards i was told that the epidural fails in about 20% of women!!

If I was having another I would think of something else than the epidural.

I was in labour for 45 hours before I had an epidural and it was such a relief.

They gave me a 'mini' one as I was already 7cm, it wore off after about 4/5 hours but the relief it gave in them hours was a godsend! I only had gas and air whilst pushing and i swear after the epi it felt as if it wasnt even working!

I felt absolutely everything when he came out so wasn't suprised there was a discomfort the next day lol

I wanted a water birth but my blood pressure was high so I had to stay on dry land.
I was hoping to just use the water and gas and air.
I ended up having an epidural and it allowed me to get some sleep whilst I was 'waiting' to get to 10cm. It was great although I needed 2 top ups.
They decided not to top me up neat the end as it was goos to feel some pain to push but I was in complete AGONY at the end and was quite distressed. I needed an episiotomy to get the laddie out in the end.

I was sore after from the stitches and my piles!!!

I would have an epidural again no question but early on. I would be more forceful with them and get them to top it up right to the end. I will know better for the next time
xxx

My labour started at 6am sunday.
By 9am monday id gone through hrs and hrs of painful contractions and only got to 4cm.
I was exhausted had no sleep or food as they wouldnt let me.
So had the epi at around 10am
She came at 4.30pm monday, i didnt feel a thing.
The next day i felt right as rain too.

I didnt want an epi bit i just didnt see how i could continue without it seeing as id only got to 4cm.

With my next im going to try and not have it as i want to actually feel the pain and then the rush of love and achievement with skye i was casually talking to the student midwife in between pushes! lol .. it just didnt feel like i thought it should.

By 9am monday id gone through hrs and hrs of painful contractions and only got to 4cm.

I didnt want an epi bit i just didnt see how i could continue without it seeing as id only got to 4cm.

With my next im going to try and not have it as i want to actually feel the pain and then the rush of love and achievement with skye i was casually talking to the student midwife in between pushes! lol .. it just didnt feel like i thought it should.

That's what I was thinking! I'm not saying I want the pain but it was a strange experience to be utterly pain free!

I had an epi at 3cm about 10am, it didn't work. I requested another which I recieved at 1.20pm which thankfully worked. Kaiden was born at 1.52pm by forceps as his heartrate was dropping and he needed to come out asap. I ended up with a dural tap which is the excruciating headache they warn you about so needed theatre to correct this. Although cannot be sure if the headache was caused by one of my two epiduralS or the spinal block I had 2 days after giving birth due to manual removal in theatre. Even though this happened I would probably have another next time, as it really took away all pain and feeling, although sometimes I feel I missed out slightly due to not having control or feeling my son come out IUKWIM?

That's what I was thinking! I'm not saying I want the pain but it was a strange experience to be utterly pain free!

It was incredibly weird to have hrs of intense pain and then nothing i had a nap whilst dilating to 7-8-9 cm etc.

It has given me a very weird view on chilkdbirth though .. because that final bit was so pain free im like oh it was eaaaaaaaaaaaaasy i could do that anyday ..

Then theres my friend who contacted so quickly there was no time for pain relief and she felt everything and its really affected her she says never again.

I do think im going to go into next time with the attitude that it aint gonna be bad and then BOOM it all goes wrong. lol.

I had an epi at 3cm about 10am, it didn't work. I requested another which I recieved at 1.20pm which thankfully worked. Kaiden was born at 1.52pm by forceps as his heartrate was dropping and he needed to come out asap. I ended up with a dural tap which is the excruciating headache they warn you about so needed theatre to correct this. Although cannot be sure if the headache was caused by one of my two epiduralS or the spinal block I had 2 days after giving birth due to manual removal in theatre. Even though this happened I would probably have another next time, as it really took away all pain and feeling, although sometimes I feel I missed out slightly due to not having control or feeling my son come out IUKWIM?[/QUOTE]

Completely understand! :)

It was incredibly weird to have hrs of intense pain and then nothing i had a nap whilst dilating to 7-8-9 cm etc.

It has given me a very weird view on chilkdbirth though .. because that final bit was so pain free im like oh it was eaaaaaaaaaaaaasy i could do that anyday ..

Then theres my friend who contacted so quickly there was no time for pain relief and she felt everything and its really affected her she says never again.

I do think im going to go into next time with the attitude that it aint gonna be bad and then BOOM it all goes wrong. lol.

Could have written that myself lol, thats exactly how I feel. The end bit was incredible, like you say, agony until that point but then, to give birth with no pain....it's not what you expect!! I'm trying to 'prepare' myself for the whole 'it won't be like that next time' but it's really hard when thats what happened, lol! x

I shouldn't really be posting on this thread (sorry!) as I didn't have an epidural but I wanted one and the midwife kept putting me off and then told me it was too late anyway. I would reeeeeeally love to be able to say it didn't feel like I thought it should or that it was easier than expected but unfortunately, giving birth was the worst experience of my life. I was in so much pain that I didn't even feel happy when Leyla was born and I don't really remember anything but pain. I suppose we all want what we can't/didn't have... I wanted to be the quiet calm woman, NOT feeling everything and screaming like a crazy person, whereas if you didn't feel it, you somehow feel like you've missed out. We can't win! I do know that if I ever have another baby, I will be demanding an epidural at the very first contraction and shouting until I get it :grr:

After 2 days of irregular contractions and two sleepless nights, I went into hospital to find I was 4cm dilated. I was throwing up with each contraction despite not having had any pain relief yet, I couldn't string a sentence together I was in so much pain. The contractions were on top of each other and I didn't seem to have a break in between.... pethidine didn't touch the pain, neither did the TENS. So I asked for an Epidural.... within 20 minutes I was like a completely different person! I was actually able to notice the midwife taking care of me and say hello, and speak to my OH! It was amazing. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to do it pain relief free- for me it felt like I was going to die!

At times it wore off and I got pains on one side of my back, but they did top it up. Towards the end it was definitely wearing off and I felt my LO crowning and ALL of the burning, but not the contractions iykwim but for me it was a perfect amount of pain, it took the edge off.

All in all I would have one again, I didn't experience any side effects whatsoever afterwards. Next time however I am hoping it will be a much quicker labour and so hopefully wont need one, wishful thinking I guess! I'm willing to keep an open mind..

When I got to hospital when I was in labour I was already 4cm so I went up to Labour ward and within 2 hours I was at 10cm and the MW sent me up to delivery suite when I got there the other MW told me that LO was posterior so we were gonna have to wait it out till he turned around. So an hour after that they broke my waters and he never turned so another hour after that they said they wanted to give me a syntocin (sp) drip to make my contractions stronger in the hope that he would turn and that incase he didn't and it would be a forceps delivery, I should have the epidural. So I did (gladly) and when I got it, I could still feel my contractions, move my legs, i felt when he moved down the birth canal and i defo felt it when he crowned but it was dulled and I was a lot more in control and I could actually see past the pain. So after the birth (after being quite anti epidural) i felt like I would defo have one again, however when it wore off and i was sore from my stitches etc I had actually done myself quite an injury when pushing because I couldn't feel it as much. So i think it has it's pro's and con's. For now I'd like to try without an epi next time but ask me when I'm in labour and I'd probably bite the MW's hand of at the suggestion of it:rofl: x

I had an epidural. I started having contractions at around 2am on a tuesday - that morning I was going to be induced as I had high BP and protein in my urine, I went into hospital at 9am as previously arranged, my waters hadn't broken, so they broke them for me, big bloody mistake, the contractions started to come one after another, they put me on a drip as well, I was in in tears and couldn't cope, so they gave me an epidural around 2pm but I could still feel the contractions on my left side, so they came and topped it up.

Around 5pm they came and told my husband that I was only a few cm dilated and that baby wouldn't arrive until midnight, I had another check up at 6pm and they said I was fully dilated and that I had to get ready to push, I couldn't feel anything so pushed as hard as I could but in the end they cut me and I had a forceps delivery. They stitched me up and put a vaginal pack (I think that's the right term) I was still on a drip and then they sent me to post natal ward, I was ok for a while , think the epidural was still active but after a couple of hours I was screaming agony, had to be checked over by another doc, have vaginal pac taken out and was on gas and air and tramadol until the morning. I was given tramadol until I left hospital when someone in their infinite wisdom decided to send me home with no painkillers what so ever.

I dunno if I would have an epidural again, I do think I would be more vocal (less screaming in pain vocal lol and more telling them what I want and asking questions about what the hell they were doing to me) if I have a baby again.

I ended up getting an epidural, despite doing a hypnobirthing course and being determined I didn't want one :rofl:

But my baby was back to back, and I was put on syntocinon to improve my contractions. I'd only been in labour about 12 hours, and was 2cm dilated, but had meconium in my waters and she went into distress at one point when I was in assessment. So they wanted to have things moving faster.

Her being back to back had been bad enough (though I coped with hypnobirthing and TENS til i got to maternity assessment and they made me lie down). When they added the syntocinon... omg, I have never felt pain like it. I'd rather have gallstones again than go through that another time. Gas and air kept me going only coz I knew the epi was on its way. It also made me very sick :lol:

Once the epi took effect, I was a different woman. I could concentrate on what was happening with LO. I could deal with what felt like endless examinations. The registrar at one point had her hand up there for about 5 mins :blush: (The cord was by LO's head,but was hard for them to figure that out). They had to top up the epi at one point, as i started getting lower back aches with each contraction - I'd been able to move my legs till then, after the top up they went floppy :rofl:

My LO was delivered by ventouse with 2 pushes, and I didn't feel a thing :blush:. I know some people would say that I have missed out on something, but I know the choices I made were absolutely the right ones for me. Would I go straight for an epi if I have another baby? No idea :lol:

i had one too, grat=nted it has it's downfalls, i couldn't feel where i was pushing so they brought a mirror in, and i could SEE what i was doign with my pushes, it was amazing. I wasn't feeling pain so i was able to focus on watching my daughter being born. I will definately have one again with our next baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->