For those who suffer with vasospasm..

Tesh23

Reaction score
What are u doing To relieve it? And have u seen any results?

Kelly Mom - Vasospasms and Nipple Blanching
Treatment options for vasospasm

Avoid cold. Apply dry heat to the breast when needed (this relaxes the “cramping” blood vessels). Some mothers benefit from keeping the entire body warm (warm clothing, warm room, wrap up in a blanket, etc.)
Cover the nipple as soon as possible after baby comes off the breast. Some moms say that it is helpful use a wool breast pad or a soft cloth diaper.
Apply dry heat immediately after breastfeeding. A rice sock can be useful as a source of dry heat: Fill a sock or a cloth bag with uncooked rice and microwave 45 seconds (or until desired warmth is achieved); hold the rice sock against the nipple (over the cloth or mom’s shirt) until blood flow resumes.
Massage the nipple with olive oil when mom is feeling pain from the vasospasm.
Avoid caffeine, nicotine/smoking, diet pills, cold medications containing pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, beta blockers, and other vasoconstrictive drugs, as they can precipitate symptoms. Oral contraceptives containing estrogen have also been associated with vasospasm.
Medications and dietary supplements may also be helpful:
Ibuprofen.
Dietary supplementation with calcium/magnesium.
Dietary supplementation with a vitamin B complex that includes B6 and niacin.
Dietary supplementation with fish oil supplements.
Low dose oral nifedipine.

I would say that drying and covering your nipples as soon as possible after finishing the feed is really important. It doesn't always work but I definitely find that keeping them exposed to (cold) air when damp was a big trigger.

I would sometimes try to massage my nipple through my top, which helped to distract from the stabbing pains a bit. I found it particularly bad when feeding my DS2 through the winter and would use a heat pad against my chest to help. Luckily it hasn't been too bad with DD1 so far, other than the first couple of weeks when my nipples were cracked so already pretty sore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->