for those with children. Mums rules vs Dads?

On the other hand, I know that expecting a very young child to stay still for a long time would be difficult. But, certainly as they get older, I would be encouraging this.

I agree, when they are young they don't want to finish their meal and sit there while mum and dad chat for ages, at 2yrs of age when mine were finished eating, they would ask to leave the table and that was perfectly OK, it is unrealistic to expect a 2yr old to sit there for a long period of time, however as long as they are eating, they are expected to be sitting. Now that they are older, they want to stay and join in the family conversation and baiting of their father LOL LOL, and with all the chatter and laughing, they still ask to leave the table before standing and always place their plates in the sink.

Couldn't agree more. I was bought up by the best (IMHO) parents who were also very strict at the dinner table. I know I'm only pregnant with my first but I teach little ones and I can honestly say that over the last 10 years lunchtimes have got worse and worse! It can be like feeding time at the zoo! The thing is I know alot of people don't teach table mannars so it's not the child's fault but unfortunately when they hit school age and start to eat with 100 other children in a dining room - eating with their fingers and getting up and down like yo-yo's it's not nice for them because the lunchtime supervisors (understandably) get cross with them. Table manners are sooo important. Sitting at a table is a time for developing speaking and listening skills too!

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that a child should be made to sit for a long time after they have finished but, I think they should sit through their dinner - getting up and running around can be a distraction technique! Good luck with your little boy's eating. There was some good advice above. I recently taught a child who at 7 yrs old only eats yoghurt, ready brek and milk. His eating issues are so ingrained now the hospital don't know what to do anymore - so you are doing the right thing trying to sort it out early on. I reallly hope it goes well for you. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->