Foremilk/Hindmilk Ratio

Newky

Mum & Pregnant With #2
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I expressed some milk and have been storing it in the fridge. I've just noticed now that the fore/hindmilk has seperated and there is over double the amount of foremilk to hindmilk! Is this normal? x

Its normal when it seperates like that but its not seperated into hindmilk and foremilk, it's seperated into water and fat. It doesn't come out of your boob like that. Shake it up and worry not :)

WSS ^^^ also the ratio of fat and water will be different depending when in the day you pump.

^^ and how hot it is.

I worried a lot about this initially, when first bf, as Millie lost weight from hospital. Someone recommended this to me

https://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2010/07/foremilkhindmilk-and-lot-of-confusion.html

as has been said its just the fats in the milk seperating off if you look at unprocessed cows/goats/horse's milk it does the same thing hence why they have to pasturise it to mix it through and have it stay that way else whole milk would end up a big layer of cream ontop of effectively skim milk lol

Yes it's perfectly normal as I read it on kellymom website!

Yep it's not foremilk and hindmilk, it's just that the fat floats to the surface because it's lighter. Swirl it to mix it back together (don't shake).

Thanks everyone, looks like i'm panicing needlessly! :dohh: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"