Formula milk

XKatX

Reaction score
I am planning to breast feed, if I can. I know that the hospital provide formula, bottles teats etc if I need them for some reason. But I'm stumped as to what to have at home just incase. I have the bottles, teats, sterilisers etc, for when I'm expressing. But what formula do I have at home and how much?
I was looking to buy some at the weekend, but got so confused that I left the shop quite upset that I didn't know what I need to provide for my little one. Obviously, I don't want to fork out for tonnes of stuff and then be happy breastfeeding - it will just go out of date.On the other hand, I don't want to run out and make OH go into town for it - he would be in more of a tizz than I am now!!
This is the first thing that I've got myself in a pickle about - so your help would be fab ladies. Thankyou x x

I'd get a small tin of Aptimel (not sure if I spelt that right.) I had a small tin of SMA Gold but if I'd known about Aptimel I'd have got that instead. Closest to breast milk.

Hon I wouldn't buy too much at all.

Personally I have bought two cartons which is made already. Personally I did this because I don't know if I am going to breastfeed or if Baby P may have allergies. The cartons were about 90p each in Tesco. I bought the cow and gate milk although now looking at aptimal.

Also I believe most hospitals give you a a few bottles to go home with, normally around 24 hours worth of feed, but don't know if that is everywhere. x x

i agree, i brought way to much - a tin of SMA, tin of cow and gate and a tin of aptamil. we only used the aptamil and like toria said, if i'd known how great it is it wouldn't have got the rest. would definitely recommend 'aptamil first' for when their new born, its too complement breast feeding or for when breast feeding isn't an opinion :)

I'm absolutely determined to breast feed BUT I have bought 3 little ready made Aptilmil cartons just incase :winkwink:

x

Id say either few cartons or a small tin of aptimil, in my opinion its the best baby milk on the market 3 of my 4 were fed on it as last little one was allergic and was on soya but had aptimil done a soya based milk id have used it too.

:hug:

I'm still undecided so have bought a couple of small readymade cartons and a tin of milk - the tins last for ages though! x

Thanks girls. I'll get some cartons of Actilmil. Does one carton last one feed or several? Do you have to discard it once opened if they don't drink it all?

Thanks girls. I'll get some cartons of Actilmil. Does one carton last one feed or several? Do you have to discard it once opened if they don't drink it all?

I think it depends on the size but the instructions will be on there. x

goodness, I hadn't even thought of buying any formula as was just going to plough on with breastfeeding....do you think I should??

goodness, I hadn't even thought of buying any formula as was just going to plough on with breastfeeding....do you think I should??
It's up to you hun. I just have this fear that if I can't breastfeed for any reason - I won't be able to provide for baby at all. At least if I have abit of something in, baby will be fine until hubby can get into town. My theory is that you never know whats giong to happen. I'd rather be prepared.

I had SMA gold and it gave jacob the worst sore tummy and i will NEVER use it again. Now on Actimel *sp* and he was like a new baba over night :) Its the best thing ever hardly any wind and so easy for him to digest :) XxxX

With 24hour supermarkets etc you don't need to panic and buy anything else. In fact you're probably less likely to give baby formula if you don't have any in the house. I got tonsillitis when I breastfed my eldest and was soooooooo weak....if I'd had formula in I may have given in coz I felt so crap....hubby offered to go out and get some but I refused to let him. I was so proud of myself for breastfeeding her as it could have been easy to throw in the towel.

I have now breastfed 3 children and have bottles in the house coz I expressed once babies got to a couple of months old but I'm not gonna get any formula....if the worst comes to the worst Hubby will have to go to 24hour Tescos or the garage for some:rofl:

I've brought SMA GOLD which is what Faith was on but now you're all saying Actimel I'm wondering if I should have brought that now! x

I breastfed both of my girls (bare in mind that until your milk comes in you'll feel like the baby is not getting any food, but do persevere if you can....because once the milk comes in you'll know about it!!!), anyway, once I'd weaned them I put them on Aptamil and it was the best decision I made because I had no problems. SMA is not good and neither is Cow and Gate, unless of course you want a grumpy, gassy, sick baby....it's worth spending that little extra for Aptamil.

I am the same-hoping to breastfeed but have also bought a tin of Aptamil as well, just incase-seems a popular choice! x

Ok I'm definitely buying that now but what do I do with the tin of SMA I've already brought! Good job I only brought the one!!!! x

Ok I'm definitely buying that now but what do I do with the tin of SMA I've already brought! Good job I only brought the one!!!! x

Honey remember that all babies are different and what is perfect for one may not be right for another so don't chuck it away just coz others on here didn't like it. Just like some babies love dummies:baby: and others won't take them. Some babies ca:baby:n be intolerant to certain additives in the milk but be fine with a different brand so just chill out and see how you go:hugs:

Remember what i said about the 24hour shops etc....don't buy a tonne of stuff you may not need. Breastfeeding may be fine and you won't need any formula for months or more....good luck chick:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"