Freaking out a bit- ultrasound and hcg

Ashley1021

Pregnant with my first!
Reaction score
Doctors are unsure of how far along I am. I had severe cramping tonight so went to urgent care. They did hcg draw and ultrasound.

Ultrasound showed a sac measuring 5w 3 days. There was no fetal pole or yolk sac seen. My hcg levels were 2,586.

Is this normal? They gave me no insight and just kind of said miscarriage. I'm so nervous

Youre probably fine. If the sac is measuring 5+3 sometimes its too early to see anything. Those hcg levels are normal too. I bet if you go back in a week or two you would see a baby and heartbeat.

Sounds perfectly normal to me and how terrible to tell you something like that!

I had the same thing happen to me. I started bleeding one day, went to the dr and they did an U/S, they only saw a sac. Dr. told me it was most likely a MC because I was supposed to be about 7 weeks. I had blood drawn and was told my hcg was still high so it might not be a viable pregnancy. It turns out I was one week behind on my dates! I went back for another U/S last Tuesday and we saw my little embryo with a yolk sac AND a heartbeat. So hopefully it's the same for you. I know it's hard not knowing what's going on with ur little one. Sending you positive thoughts.

That HCG and seeing a sac sounds just perfect for where you are up to.

I'm just really nervous. This baby is very much wanted. I can't get in for blood draws tomorrow. I work 8-5. So I just kind of have to cross my fingers and hope. I can't stop worrying. I wish my doctor would order an ultrasound for a couple weeks so I could just know.

My ultrasound is scheduled for March 22nd when I'll be about 10-11weeks for dating purposes. The doctor did not sound optimistic

I'm so annoyed with all of these doctors saying such bold statements so early on in pregnancy ! It sounds perfect to me ! Some see a fetal pole at this stage, some don't.. Every baby grows at a different rate. Your hcg levels sound so good too!
Try not to worry, I'm sure all will be great !

it sounds fine. the standard of care is a repeat u/s in 1-2 weeks to check for growth so i would call demanding a repeat scan. you shouldnt have to wait until march 22. if you just had the implant out recently for them to say mc and not sure of dates is just crazy. plus it was an urgent care. those clinics arent really great with ob stuff.

I've been emailing with my OB about it, and I'm going in Wednesday for a blood draw. I also asked her if I could have a repeat scan in a couple weeks to ease my anxiety. Hopefully she says yes.

She said it may be concerning that there is no yolk sac yet, but it may Just not be visible yet.

With my current pregnancy I had an ultrasound at 4+4 and all that was seen was a thick lining no sac one week later at 5+4 an empty sac 2 weeks later a baby with a heartbeat don't give up hope!

Hi Ashely, I remember you from when I first joined the forum, I so hope everything works out ok. No fetal pole is normal for your gestation, I'd think if your hcg continues to rise hopefully your dr will let you do another scan :) Hoping for the very best for you!

I'm hoping I can have another scan. I don't know what I would do if I had to wait. Just hoping my levels are rising. I have a very stressful week at work this week, so I'm just in a tough spot

Big hugs and try not to worry.

I also have a very stressful work and I just want to curl up in a ball and stay in bed and protect my baby from all the stress and worries :wacko:

Unfortunately I can not :(

So am focusing on the good.

And, as ladies said, have another scan in 2 weeks time.
:hugs:

I have an ultrasound scheduled for the 29th of this month, and will be getting blood drawn tomorrow evening.

All sounds completely normal for your dates

I don't even think they should give ultrasounds this early because it seems to cause more panic than anything! Your scan on the 29th will give you definitive results.

I had my levels rechecked and they were 8,870! They were 2,500 on Sunday evening. Before the blood draw my doctor said she would be more than comfortable if they came back around the 6,000 range. She has faith this will be a successful pregnancy and my ultrasound on the 29th will show a baby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->