Free NHS formula milk stopped!

J

JacquiKeren

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...Trust-withdraws-free-formula-milk-babies.html

I was annoyed reading it at first, but as you get further down, they got to my problem - sterile bottles? They are still providing them and teats, just not milk from what I can gather. I don't have a problem taking a few cartons in with me

To be honest I don't have a problem with it. Never occurred to me that the hospital would provide formula anyway, I just assumed that unless you were in premature labour that it was your responsibility to be prepared. Plus it might support mothers who were unsure to try breastfeeding even if only for the first day or two.

i still think its bad as said in this type of thing before on Bnb all people in hospital are provided with food, mother and baby both have to be discharged from hospital so both should be fed if needed. I planned to Bf, but could not due to really bad tongue-tie meaning kyle could not latch or feed. It still took her over an hour to get 1oz out of a special bottle.

Too right! What's wrong with taking your own milk in if FF is your intention? Unless there is an issue bfing or like me first time round, prem labour, then why not? Help hospitals put money to better use like the maternity units and neonatal!

The article does say that they will have a supply available for people who unexpectedly can't breastfeed which is good. Plus to be honest, in my experience of hospitals now that kitchens a lot of the time re-heat ready made meals if you are admitted or discharged outside of meal times you'd be lucky to get a meal. Especially anything hot but I know there is huge variability nationally.

It would be fantastic if it encouraged just a few more mums who could breastfeed to do so.. although I think it should be provided for those who cannot BF for whatever reason, especially if they have a longer than average stay in hospital x

Good point about they provide meals for patients though... butyeah i didn't think they did give, and was told they only did SMA and uhm think C&G, if you wanted another brand you had to supply. There's going to be pros and cons, but as long as clean sterile bottles would be provided for the mums then that's the main thing I'd see a problem with.

i think it's fine, as long as they can provide for mothers who can't breastfeed.

I think it's fine. I can provide milk for my baby ( if I EVER get pregnant again)

I'd rather they spend the money on medical treatment/research/development

Sigh

itll still be there incase of an emergency like the mother literally cant feed (although that prob wouldnt be addressed in hosp as its just colostrum for the first few days) or an emergency readmission or something, the parents should provide it, just like they should bring nappies, clothes and everything else.

well the hospitals did supply it as they did with my first two and that is two different hospitals as well. I dont mind supplying my own milk at all but it would be hard work if they didnt supply sterile bottles as how would you sterilise them and also you dont know how long your going to be in hospital. My guess is it wont be to long before they stop supplying bottles as well.
Like someone else said the baby should be fed and looked after just like the mother and any other patient (imo)

never read about the bottles in that case im not to fussed it was the thing of having to leave a baby alone on a ward as a new mum to make a bottle

what did you do when you had to use the toilet or get washed at hospital?

I didnt, i had a shower while Oh was with kyle while he was getting his Vit K shot, and i only went to the toilet when my oh or other family memebers where there..

I was on a ward by my self ages away from the mw desk, so i only showed straight after birth and maybe had 2/3 wee's in the 24hours i was there

I plan on trying bfing and was going to take some milk etc in with me anyway incase for whatever reason i cant as i will be in couple of days due to c section. If it came to it i would take my electric ateriliser in and plug in nxt to bed :D

I think if supllied for those who cant bf then fair enough.

Xx

Having worked in a maternity unit, it's shocking how much the NHS spend on formula. People often stock up on the sly for when they get home too - it happens frequently. I'm pleased to see this happen at last. The amount of people who claim not to be able to BF and need formula from hospital within the first 24 hours is a thousand % more than those who genuinely can't, so those not committed to BF ought to be honest about it from the offset and bring their own.

for me i dont care if they supply milk or not as im planning on trying to bf. but i wont be delievering in hospital anyway (fingers crossed)

but its a valid point that they supply what they call food for patience so why not supply milk for babies.

when u ladies are in hospital and ur hungry, its meal time and they come with ur food but ask u to pay would u be pissed off then? i no i would be (i hate hospital food tho so wouldnt pay for it haha)

I think there is a huge waste of money that is better spent elsewhere.

I am glad they will keep a small supply for emergencies etc.

When I had Anna, less that 1.5 years ago, all nappies/pads/cotton wool was all provided (I had a cabinet at the end of the bed that was full of that stuff!) As I was informed they provided them I didnt take my own although I easily could have!:flower:

I didnt, i had a shower while Oh was with kyle while he was getting his Vit K shot, and i only went to the toilet when my oh or other family memebers where there..

I was on a ward by my self ages away from the mw desk, so i only showed straight after birth and maybe had 2/3 wee's in the 24hours i was there

Oh right. I just left Amelie LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->