• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Free NHS formula milk stopped!

My point was never about the 'free milk', It was about bottle feeding in general, but no one can deny that in hospital if you have to/choose to Bottle feed you ARE degraded by the Nurses and Midwives!!!! THAT WAS MY POINT! And unless you have been made to feel that way(as I have) then you wouldn't understand that feeling of Failure and being a pathetic waste of space! THAT IS WHAT'S GOT TO STOP....

im sorry but that is ridiculous. iv worked on a maternity ward and iv never seen any woman 'degraded' because she chose to bottle feed. i understand that theres the odd 1 or 2 who end up saying the wrong things and come across as judgemental, but the vast majority of midwives are not like that.

its our job to promote breastfeeding, so we do, end of. we are not allowed an opinion either way, we just give the correct information so you can make an informed choice.

IMO i think women who choose to formula feed hear stories like these and are immediately on the defensive when they go into hospital. that plus hormones makes an innocent comment seem like a insult. again, i know thats not always the case.

you made that choice to feed your baby that way, so why feel like a failure when you know you have made the best choice for you and your baby??? thats the way i look at it, if someone has a go at me for breastfeeding, im not going to feel like a failure, i ll just be pissed off they are judging me without knowing the full story :S

Why is my experience ridiculous? Just because you have never 'seen' any woman put down doesnt mean it doesnt happen does it?! I was told by 2 midwives on my ward that I was pathetic waste of time and that my child will end up poorly and that I dont care about him and that I may as well be feeding him crap cos of the fact I 'HAD' to bottle feed. They offered no help or support for me in having to bottle feed him... I mean How the feck are they able to get away with saying/doing that??? I am a type 1 diabetic and 'COULD NOT' breastfeed, I tried for 2 days going into a hypo every single type and putting my life and my babies life a risk...So excuse me for being ridiculous and pissed off by the whole NHS service!!! But that is 'MY' experience. In fact the whole thing just upsets me so much!

I dont think she was saying your experience or recounting of it was rediculous but you branded the WHOLE NHS service in your comment and she was sticking up for the hardworking MW's and staff that dont act the way you say that they ALL do. just as you dont like to be made to feel bad about your reasons for having/chosing to FF then the MW's and staff at the hospital should be painted out like they are all awful people either

Im sorry you had a rough time with BF in the begining and i aggree that the comments you recieved were unfair and unjust, but that doesnt mean the whole system is bad or wrong.

If you dont like the service you receive from the NHS you are within your rights to submit feedback and complaints to the nessacary places just as any of us are and im sure some of us, Including myself have done when we feel our treatment has been unfair or discrimantory

My point was never about the 'free milk', It was about bottle feeding in general, but no one can deny that in hospital if you have to/choose to Bottle feed you ARE degraded by the Nurses and Midwives!!!! THAT WAS MY POINT! And unless you have been made to feel that way(as I have) then you wouldn't understand that feeling of Failure and being a pathetic waste of space! THAT IS WHAT'S GOT TO STOP....

im sorry but that is ridiculous. iv worked on a maternity ward and iv never seen any woman 'degraded' because she chose to bottle feed. i understand that theres the odd 1 or 2 who end up saying the wrong things and come across as judgemental, but the vast majority of midwives are not like that.

its our job to promote breastfeeding, so we do, end of. we are not allowed an opinion either way, we just give the correct information so you can make an informed choice.

IMO i think women who choose to formula feed hear stories like these and are immediately on the defensive when they go into hospital. that plus hormones makes an innocent comment seem like a insult. again, i know thats not always the case.

you made that choice to feed your baby that way, so why feel like a failure when you know you have made the best choice for you and your baby??? thats the way i look at it, if someone has a go at me for breastfeeding, im not going to feel like a failure, i ll just be pissed off they are judging me without knowing the full story :S

Why is my experience ridiculous? Just because you have never 'seen' any woman put down doesnt mean it doesnt happen does it?! I was told by 2 midwives on my ward that I was pathetic waste of time and that my child will end up poorly and that I dont care about him and that I may as well be feeding him crap cos of the fact I 'HAD' to bottle feed. They offered no help or support for me in having to bottle feed him... I mean How the feck are they able to get away with saying/doing that??? I am a type 1 diabetic and 'COULD NOT' breastfeed, I tried for 2 days going into a hypo every single type and putting my life and my babies life a risk...So excuse me for being ridiculous and pissed off by the whole NHS service!!! But that is 'MY' experience. In fact the whole thing just upsets me so much!

I dont think she was saying your experience or recounting of it was rediculous but you branded the WHOLE NHS service in your comment and she was sticking up for the hardworking MW's and staff that dont act the way you say that they ALL do. just as you dont like to be made to feel bad about your reasons for having/chosing to FF then the MW's and staff at the hospital should be painted out like they are all awful people either

Im sorry you had a rough time with BF in the begining and i aggree that the comments you recieved were unfair and unjust, but that doesnt mean the whole system is bad or wrong.

If you dont like the service you receive from the NHS you are within your rights to submit feedback and complaints to the nessacary places just as any of us are and im sure some of us, Including myself have done when we feel our treatment has been unfair or discrimantory

Thank you. I did submit a complaint after my son was born, to which I heard nothing back. I was just stating my opinion and in my eyes and my past experience the NHS service was terrible. I just really hope this time round things are alot better and that MW's will be helpful and considerate towards having to bottle feed. x

i dont see what the issue is.Your provided with Milk if u cant afford it or cant BF or dont want to then buy your own milk,i dont see the big deal id never expect free formula milk.

Ok, so I'm not sure how things really work there, as I am in the states. But here, after having a baby, the hospitals supply all the diapers, wipes, formula (if necessary) and well, pretty much anything you need to care for your baby after its born, including clothes and blankets. I guess maybe b/c in the states woman stay in the hospital longer? And I know here, its not something hospitals pay for. (I know someone who works at the hospital). The formula/diapers are donated to the hospitals from the companies that make them as a marketing practice. Kinda like "these were the diapers/wipes/formula I used in the hospital, I'm going to keep using them b/c they work, so why try something different?" My sister delivered my nephew at a different hospital than I did with all my kids, and she was given a different type of formula for him, as well as a different brand of diapers, wipes and even the pacifier was different.

As far as them not supplying the milk, I don't see why its that big of a deal if they have some for people need it. I breastfeed my almost 2 month old, but after my csection I was pretty beat up, and I had no energy to hold him, let alone feed him. So my husband gave him a bottle of formula while I received my blood transfusion. Also, I can see why they would choose to stop. I know people who take advantage of what they give you in the states, and take home enough of the stuff on the nursery cart to keep their kid fed/diapered for nearly 2 weeks after birth b/c its free, so why not? The hospital will send you home with whatever is left on your nursery cart when your discharged, so I ended up with half a package of wipes and diapers for my son.

im not saying your experience was ridiculous - far from it - what i was saying (As i think someone pointed out above) was that not all nurses and midwives degrade women for bottle feeding. i know that for a fact because i certainly dont, if anything i love getting the opportunity to sit down and feed a baby when mums tired and teaching mums and dads how to feed- its the nice bit of the job :)

as for the midwives in your experience - they were way out of order and should have had at least a disciplinery for something like that i would have thought. like i pointed out above, you will get the odd one or two who are judgmental and stuck in their ways and say things out of order.

the reason i stepped in was because like a few women have mentioned above - they automatically would have gone into hospital and any innocent comment could be taken the wrong way and caused upset, after some of the things they hear about midwives.

lets hope you get some nice midwives this time :flower:

Ok, so I'm not sure how things really work there, as I am in the states. But here, after having a baby, the hospitals supply all the diapers, wipes, formula (if necessary) and well, pretty much anything you need to care for your baby after its born, including clothes and blankets. I guess maybe b/c in the states woman stay in the hospital longer? And I know here, its not something hospitals pay for. (I know someone who works at the hospital). The formula/diapers are donated to the hospitals from the companies that make them as a marketing practice. Kinda like "these were the diapers/wipes/formula I used in the hospital, I'm going to keep using them b/c they work, so why try something different?" My sister delivered my nephew at a different hospital than I did with all my kids, and she was given a different type of formula for him, as well as a different brand of diapers, wipes and even the pacifier was different.

As far as them not supplying the milk, I don't see why its that big of a deal if they have some for people need it. I breastfeed my almost 2 month old, but after my csection I was pretty beat up, and I had no energy to hold him, let alone feed him. So my husband gave him a bottle of formula while I received my blood transfusion. Also, I can see why they would choose to stop. I know people who take advantage of what they give you in the states, and take home enough of the stuff on the nursery cart to keep their kid fed/diapered for nearly 2 weeks after birth b/c its free, so why not? The hospital will send you home with whatever is left on your nursery cart when your discharged, so I ended up with half a package of wipes and diapers for my son.

in the states it is all private where you pay for your insurance and the insurance pays for your hospital expenses..(as far as i know) similar in australia except you have the choice of going public or private..in the uk their whole system is public meaning the government pays all costs for their hospital stay/birth/medical procedures/drs ect..therefor getting all that for free they have to provide the little things like nappies breastpads maternity pads ect. it is too much of a strain on government money to pay for every babies nappies and every mothers accessories needed when having a baby..
in aus in the public you bring your own nappies/breastpads/mat pads ect but im not sure about formula..in the private (which i am in) nappies are provided along with other extras cos the government is not paying for my stay my private insurance is..do you sort of get what i mean?:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"