Free NHS formula milk stopped!

I dont see a problem with it. I plan to BF and have done with my other 2, but if I am aware that if they dont provide milk I can easily pack 2 cartons 'just incase' and hubby can get more if need be. x

alot of hospital have stopped this already and DONT supply sterile bottles and you have to take your own. i agree with pp that the baby is a paitient as well so why not supply food for them. what will they do next stop food for all paitents because it costs alot :growlmad:

A newborn baby isn't really a patient unless they are transfered to another ward cos of a problem and a lot are there for just a few hours before they leave anyway. I'd say the mother was a patient though. Just like if a mum has post natal issues and is readmitted with her LO, the baby wouldnt be a patient :shrug:

i dont think its a massive deal that we are asked to take our own milk i mean one of them cartons is only about 70p and the amount that a new born drinks is tiny so i doubt it would cost hardly anything! If the hospitals are providing it then unfortunately it is open to abuse and people do steal and stock up on it to take home just because it is free.

Its not like we are being asked to spend hundreds, we are lucky that we still have the nhs and we get our midwife care and scans etc free, America have to pay for everything! I think we are still pretty lucky to be honest, we have probably been spoilt over the last few years and now they are having to take things away because we actually cant afford them people think they are being hard done by

The babies that desperatly need the milk will still get it from what i read, (like prems or poorly babies) its just the mothers and babies that are healthy and can provide their own.

what did you do when you had to use the toilet or get washed at hospital?

I didnt, i had a shower while Oh was with kyle while he was getting his Vit K shot, and i only went to the toilet when my oh or other family memebers where there..

I was on a ward by my self ages away from the mw desk, so i only showed straight after birth and maybe had 2/3 wee's in the 24hours i was there

Oh right. I just left Amelie LOL

I didnt know if i was suposed to leave him or not so i just stayed put lol allthough i have to say my care in certain areas was lacking, so this time im going for a homebirth lol

i had to take nappies etc.. to the hospital with me and we were told if we were going to FF to bring cartons of milk with us but that bottles would be provided, if your hungry outside of hospital mealtimes most cases you have to send your OH to go bring you food, my OH certainly brought food in to me while i was in hospital both times

might be a good idea to get milk vending machines where you can purchase it and also sterile bottles, breastpads, mat pads etc

what did you do when you had to use the toilet or get washed at hospital?

I didnt, i had a shower while Oh was with kyle while he was getting his Vit K shot, and i only went to the toilet when my oh or other family memebers where there..

I was on a ward by my self ages away from the mw desk, so i only showed straight after birth and maybe had 2/3 wee's in the 24hours i was there

Oh right. I just left Amelie LOL

I didnt know if i was suposed to leave him or not so i just stayed put lol allthough i have to say my care in certain areas was lacking, so this time im going for a homebirth lol

me too :) although my hospital experience was positive.

might be a good idea to get milk vending machines where you can purchase it and also sterile bottles, breastpads, mat pads etc

that would be a very good idea! but then again the nhs would say the machines cost to much to start with

Maybe, but they have juice and snack vending machines :shrug:

vending machines are owned and operated by outside companies not the NHS. there is gonna be a charge for them somewhere but if anything the nhs get money for having them there not pay to have them there

I shocked really...but as long as they provide for the mums who 'cant' i couldnt because of two problems mason was badly tounge tied and couldnt latch and due to being induced early for pre-eclampsia the high blood pressure medication i was on lowered his blood sugar levels and they were rising from the small amount of breastmilk he was getting due to not being able to latch on, was a viciuos circle really...and without the milk provided i would have been in hopsital alot longer, hope they stick to the word and do keep some stocks though...

When I say provide it for those who can't BF, I mean in the short term until they can have someone bring some in :shrug:

I think its absolutely rediculous, when my DS was born I was in hosp for 2days but was adamant I was going to breastfeed, On the first day I breastfed all day and then by the evening I was in agony, I had 25stitches and wanted to sleep so gave him a bottle to fill him up and so I could grab some sleep. I really think the option should be there for mums, I mean once I left the hosp,I sooley expressed my milk for 12weeks as LO wouldnt latch on but was so vhappy to have the option of formula on that first night, I needed some sleep. I didnt feel like a bad mum for giving him a bottle because I expressed milk for 12 weeks after that and did my best. It should be up to the mum and dad but def should have the option of having milk at the hosp aswell

i wish they'd stop all this anti bottle feeding s**t! its a personal choice!
x

i think it's fine, as long as they can provide for mothers who can't breastfeed.

Its only around 2% of women who cant actually breastfeed, the human race would have died out years ago otherwise. Unfortunately its usually lack of support and education that makes women think they cant breastfeed, when if they had the proper help they would have been able to continue.

If you are not planning on breastfeeding, or even if your not sure, why not take a few ready made bottles in with you? dont need to worry then, you have a back up and you are already going to be spending hundreds of pounds a year on formula, so what difference is one or two days more going to make? :shrug:

If your baby is premature then mums are encouraged to breastfeed or express to tube feed even more. i know in my unit on neonatal they explain that prem babies' guts are so sensitive and cows milk is actually very bad for them because they just cant digest it, so i would say all those mothers are desperately encouraged to breastfeed their babies and if the mums dont want to they ask to give them donor milk instead.

im sick to the back teeth of seeing actualy its only x% of women that cant actualy bf!

everytime i see it the % changes each time so obviously its not that set in stone....unless that is every woman who cant bf is tested!:dohh:

this isnt about BF this thread is about formula being stopped in hospitals

i can see it turning into a debate about BF vs FF is those so called facts keep poping up

I am going to buy some of the prepped bottles of milk to take in with me jst incase!

lol, that isn't how statistics are done.

Cant argue with statistics ;) Why does it matter anyway?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->