Free NHS formula milk stopped!

How much formula is baby going to drink anyway in those 24hrs? For mother it'll be about £2 on average per stay,so it wont do us any difference and if it'll help NHS then so be it.

when my cousin had her baby in january our local hospital have moved all the sterilising equipment for bottle feeding to the other end of the hospital, to put FF mums off so they would have to walk all that way to make a bottle.

my cousin had a c-section as well as waiting to have her gall bladder removed around the same time, had to walk to the other side of the hospital to prepare a bottle. when she asked for help as she was in pain. the care assistant said well you'll have to get used to doing it yourself, this was the same day she had her c-section.

im all for encouraging BF (im hoping to be able to myself :D) but i dont agree with FF mums being made to feel discriminated or singled out.

so not all care assistants in hospitals are happy to help sadly.

i'll also add this hospital provided just the BF mums with brilliant support and the best equipment to hand if they needed it. but FF mums were shoved in the corner.

i do agree with formula being stopped in hospitals as i think the money could be used elsewhere and if they were already planning on FF then im guessing new FF mums would have already got formula ready at home so i dont think it will make any difference putting a can in your bag, but i hope they recieve better support than what my cousin did with FF xxx

Oh my god thats awful! what right do they have to discriminate people like that :nope: :nope: weather you can or can not breast feed shouldnt be the question as some people choose to bottle feed regaurdless of if they can breast feed or not and should not be discriminated against because of their "free" choice.
It will be interesting to see if there is anothre article published so far down the line pointing out what savings have been made on cutting the formula milk and what the money has been spent on instead??? somehow i dont think we'll ever get to find out what the money has been spent on instead which is a shame as people automatically think that it will go to benefit other things but without the proof how can we be sure where it has gone

I personally think the following:
1. If mother is intending to FF then she should bring in her own stuff

2. If mother is intending to BF then the midwives need to spend time and effort to encourage this practice.

3. 24 hour support needs to be available for mothers who are breastfeeding to ensure that they get off to the best start.

4. When a mother cannot breastfeed, then the healthcare practioners need to be supportive through what is an angst ridden phase, and give good information on how to formula feed.

Personally I breastfed for 10 days, but not effectively as I had a post partum infection, it meant that my son who was born at 3990g went to 3250g, a massive loss of weight and he ended up in Neonatal at 5pm on a Friday night. Support for BF was offered for Tuesday at 10am, seriously, was I meant to do with my son for the weekend? They sent me away with mini bottles as I had no clue how to FF - it was a nightmare.

What made it worse that although I still had m/w visits and h/v visits they were 'not allowed' to advise on formula as they have to encourage BF.

The NHS should allocate resources in the correct way, and ensure that the staff are there around the clock to support the BF process.

Personally I am getting fed up of the BF mafia, where the FF mums are 'second class' because of reasons that the BF mafia have no interest in understanding.

Baby feeding should be 'Bring your own'. And, support should be offered to all mums - period!

As a BFing mum on a ward of 8, all 7 others FF and stared at me with disgust as I fed Erin, support should be equal and issued where it is needed. Some of the FF mums in my ward were kicking off because the sterialiser and keetle were at the other end of the ward .... where the kitchen was! Who'd have though it! Are they suppose to move the kitchen?

All the hosptials in my area were BYO if your choose to FF. If there were problems with BF they were more than happy to help you FF, but would always promote BF and support where needed.

i think it's fine, as long as they can provide for mothers who can't breastfeed.

Its only around 2% of women who cant actually breastfeed, the human race would have died out years ago otherwise. Unfortunately its usually lack of support and education that makes women think they cant breastfeed, when if they had the proper help they would have been able to continue.

If you are not planning on breastfeeding, or even if your not sure, why not take a few ready made bottles in with you? dont need to worry then, you have a back up and you are already going to be spending hundreds of pounds a year on formula, so what difference is one or two days more going to make? :shrug:

If your baby is premature then mums are encouraged to breastfeed or express to tube feed even more. i know in my unit on neonatal they explain that prem babies' guts are so sensitive and cows milk is actually very bad for them because they just cant digest it, so i would say all those mothers are desperately encouraged to breastfeed their babies and if the mums dont want to they ask to give them donor milk instead.

i am planning to breast feed, i'm actually really excited about it & can't wait to, i'll be gutted if i cant. i'm talking about the small percentage of women who don't produce milk, or their baby is tongue-tied etc. i think it's good that they aren't giving away free formula. i never knew they gave it away anyway & wouldn't expect them to :shrug: if i ran into problems i'd just send OH to the shop xx

I'm sorry but a baby is a patient too. They are poked and prided and tested and get discharged at the end so they are a patient. Moms are taken care of nutritionally and so should the babies. None of that should have anything to do with money. I'm a bd'g mom so don't have to worry about this but all babies nutrition should be provided. That's money well spent.

And tbh, whichever method you choose to feed your baby, you can count on rude comments. Bf'g moms get it just as bad as ff moms. So yeah, breast is best BUT it's up to the mom to decide how to feed. Some moms just don't feel comfortable doing it and if they are pushed into something it's just going to stress mom and baby out and that's not healthy.

I just feel strongly that milk should be provided at hospitals. I'm sure they won't be paying full price for formula that we do.

You know theres just not enough staff in NICUs for one to one care?
Think about it, it could help

I'm sorry but a baby is a patient too. They are poked and prided and tested and get discharged at the end so they are a patient. Moms are taken care of nutritionally and so should the babies. None of that should have anything to do with money. I'm a bd'g mom so don't have to worry about this but all babies nutrition should be provided. That's money well spent.

And tbh, whichever method you choose to feed your baby, you can count on rude comments. Bf'g moms get it just as bad as ff moms. So yeah, breast is best BUT it's up to the mom to decide how to feed. Some moms just don't feel comfortable doing it and if they are pushed into something it's just going to stress mom and baby out and that's not healthy.

I just feel strongly that milk should be provided at hospitals. I'm sure they won't be paying full price for formula that we do.

I do kind of agree. I bet they get it cheap but it should be a limit, like we will supply for one day while you get sorted kind of thing xx

2. If mother is intending to BF then the midwives need to spend time and effort to encourage this practice.

3. 24 hour support needs to be available for mothers who are breastfeeding to ensure that they get off to the best start.

4. When a mother cannot breastfeed, then the healthcare practioners need to be supportive through what is an angst ridden phase, and give good information on how to formula feed.

Personally I breastfed for 10 days, but not effectively as I had a post partum infection, it meant that my son who was born at 3990g went to 3250g, a massive loss of weight and he ended up in Neonatal at 5pm on a Friday night. Support for BF was offered for Tuesday at 10am, seriously, was I meant to do with my son for the weekend? They sent me away with mini bottles as I had no clue how to FF - it was a nightmare.

What made it worse that although I still had m/w visits and h/v visits they were 'not allowed' to advise on formula as they have to encourage BF.

The NHS should allocate resources in the correct way, and ensure that the staff are there around the clock to support the BF process.

Personally I am getting fed up of the BF mafia, where the FF mums are 'second class' because of reasons that the BF mafia have no interest in understanding.

I understand your frustrations, but please don't use the term "BF Mafia". That is just as hurtful to BF mothers as slams against formula to FF mothers. :flower:

im not really for or agaisnt as long as they have some somewhere for the % who want to but cannot.

Also i keep in these types of thread see the £ of the things brought up and that at home you would be paying for it etc.. You could say that about all meals for everyone, at home they would be buying their own food? so why should the hospital provide it for free?

I'm amazed at the number of women who want to BF but say they will turn to formula if they "can't" for whatever reason - ladies, if you want to provide breast milk, don't forget that you have an option of exclusively expressing! If your baby struggles to latch, has a birth injury (like mine did), or for whatever reason, you can rent a simple (or hospital grade) pump straight from the hospital or local pharmacy and go from there - and either continue pumping, attempt the baby back to the breast, or go to formula if you choose ... but don't go straight to formula if the baby can't go right on the breast (if that's what you desire).

The BF section here has some great info on exclusive expressing if you are interested. I suggest having a list of pharmacies or numbers for hospital pumps available at the hospital "just in case" rather than expecting the hospital to provide formula (IF bf is what you desire).

Midwives are allowed to explain how to make up formula and how to use a steriliser - we are not allowed to tell you which formula is best for the baby though because this would be advertising.

Please think about what you say before you say it, 'breast feeding mafia' is very hurtful. i also dont know any mums who think that AF mums are second class. it seems you cant be allowed to be passionate about breastfeeding without being called breast feeding mafia or bottle bashers (seen on the daily fail website!)

If you have already chosen to FF whats the problem with bringing a few cartons to the hospital with you? Surely you would have already bought some formula? :shrug: Hospitals have much more important things to spend money on xx

Yeah they are allowed to help. With my DS I had someone help me everytime he was being fed by bottle and how to make them up etc, I know its not hard but I was young and needed that extra support. I am glad no one made me feel bad, no one ever argued me about bottles or tried to make me BF.

I dont see the harm in providing for 1 day but maybe excessive stays could be asked to provide own, so long as there is allocated spaces for equipment . x

As far as im aware hospitals cant get formula milk for discounted prices and definately not for free as this is against the law.

As far as im aware hospitals cant get formula milk for discounted prices and definately not for free as this is against the law.

Correct :thumbup:

Must be very different here in the US, hospitals get TONS of formula given to them by all the major companies, as do expectant mothers get it mailed to them for free before baby is here - I never even asked for anything and I think I've gotten 6 full size containers of formula from Enfamil and another company..

That being said, I honestly wouldn't mind if my hospital wanted me to bring formula for my baby, I can't imagine a few days worth of formula is going to make or break your wallet at this point - and if it does you've got an interesting couple months coming your way :thumbup: But I'm assuming they will have it available for those babies who need it because mom is sick or can't nurse etc etc unexpectedly... But a BF mom is expected so "supply" her own, so why not? :)

As far as FF moms being treated second rate as someone mentioned, that's absolute crap - I don't care if you aren't BF because you're on meds or because you simply don't feel like it, it's your baby, your choice and no one has a right to treat you differently because of it.

That being said, I think on every single BF thread that has been started on here since I got pregnant I have seen pro BF women belittle and berate women who say they will be FF for whatever reason, I genuinely don't understand why people can't seem to respect the decisions of others. Obviously I'm not saying ALL pro BF moms are doing this, or think like this, just saying I have seen it happen quite frequently, and it disgusts me to see people being talked down to or treated like they're scum of the earth because their choices aren't the same as yours. :shrug:

I think there comes a point when if the hospital can't afford to staff itself properly without cutting into patient care something needs to change.

It's totally different here.... when I was in the hospital I couldn't breastfeed from my left side - my anatomy and my daughters anatomy were not matching up, so the hospital provided me a pump to pump from my left side and breast feed from the right. THat being said, if they are to support me with an expensive pump to use (that tubing and accessories have to be new for each patient, therefore adding up to $ as well), then why shouldn't they have formula for formula feeding moms as well? It's just silly.

the pump bits arent actually "new" for each patient they are sent away carefully cleaned and sterlised and repacked, at least at my hosptial they are your specifically asked not to throw them out but put them in a special box at the pump station ,

there are milk banks in the UK sadly not everywhere but there are that provide milk for babies who cant bf for medical reason and for the NICU and special care baby units,

here they have to have a brand new box with the seal unbroken for the tubing, cups, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->