Freebirthing?? D:

Annubrius

Reaction score
I just came across this while traversing the internets. [Oh, dangerous internets!]

And I have NO intention of doing this! Just so you know- as my first pregnancy, I'd like to be in the hospital. lol.

But I think it's really brave and courageous for these women who choose to do this, but I also have many many concerns.

What are your ladies' opinions on all this??

WARNING: These videos are not for everyone- If you can't handle watching someone give birth, or have issues with blood etc. skip them and read further on my post below. :)

Youtube Videos of the show 'Extraordinary People: Outlaw Births' 1, 2 and 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=_pAlGSHS_Gk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OA6zT-G19A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-kXQBMt_g

I am afraid to watch these wanna just tell me the points of what it is lol

I am afraid to watch these wanna just tell me the points of what it is lol

hahaha. It's not hard to watch for me- it's mostly emotional.

It's about women who have decided to bypass the medical system and have home births with no medical or midwife assistance. basically how they used to do it in the 1800's..

Oh my god... I seriously dont think ill be able to give birth ....i am such a wimp. I feel sick and dizzy after watching the second video :'(

Wow fair play to her!!

Oh wow! isnt that a wee bit dangerous? I know they did it in the 1800's but there was also a way higher mother and baby mortality rate. Hmmm I dont know how good of an idea this is. And ya I am a pussy mind the french cant handle stuff like that lol

Yeah... the good old days where I'm sure maternal death rates and stillbirths were much much higher. No thanks. That said, my dad was born on the kitchen table of my grandmothers farm house. lol

ahahah. Yeah - I honestly don't blame you ladies for not wanting to watch- it's not for everyone. I guess I should edit my first post to say so!! [Sorry.]

But yes- someone in the videos even brought that up- that it's a huge risk and possibility of death not only for baby, but mother as well.

The main reason these women decided to do this was because of their previous 'unethical treatments' they received in the hospitals the first time they had their babies.

Oh My :shock: there is no way!! It is very brave but surely it is insane not to have a midwife there for the safety of mum and baby!! Even in the 1800s they usually had a local woman who acted as a midwife to be there and help!!

we are having a home birth this time, and the mw will be there, but only for minimal assistance. I don't think I'd not have ANYONE there.

we are having a home birth this time, and the mw will be there, but only for minimal assistance. I don't think I'd not have ANYONE there.

Yeah, that's the main difference between freebirthing and home birthing. is that you'll have a professional on standby at least!!

I'd definitely not have an unassisted birth, I wouldn't have a clue what to do if something went wrong.

*still watching*

I sort of understand their reasoning behind the natural, unmedicated, blah blah part of it. I'm doing a natural birth at a birthing center.

HOWEVER, I think it's a little..dangerous?.. to give birth alone especially when it's your first child and you don't know what to expect.

They talk about how their hospital/widwife experiences were so negative and it's like they've just decided to say to heck with everybody else. There are midwives and doctors that will work with you. The midwives I see will help you as little or as much as you want unless an emergency arises.

I don't doubt that these "freebirths" could go just as smoothly as anything else, but I would be very wary of not having someone experienced and knowledgeable there to at least observe and ensure that all involved are safe.

*still watching*

I sort of understand their reasoning behind the natural, unmedicated, blah blah part of it. I'm doing a natural birth at a birthing center.

HOWEVER, I think it's a little..dangerous?.. to give birth alone especially when it's your first child and you don't know what to expect.

They talk about how their hospital/widwife experiences were so negative and it's like they've just decided to say to heck with everybody else. There are midwives and doctors that will work with you. The midwives I see will help you as little or as much as you want unless an emergency arises.

I don't doubt that these "freebirths" could go just as smoothly as anything else, but I would be very wary of not having someone experienced and knowledgeable there to at least observe and ensure that all involved are safe.

Most definitely! The one girl there didn't know where her placenta was! and hemorrhaging is NOT an option in freebirthing without emergency standby!

I am having a home birth with a midwife. In the usa we lose more babies and mothers then we are let on to believe. " A business of being born" Is excellent video to watch. Its little less graphic then the youtube videos. very informational, and you can look up any facts and find they are not lieing. its on netflix. I agree going about it totally alone is not a good idea. Some one trained should be there. just my opinion. you got to do what you feel you need to do. For me, its staying out of a place where I am forced into things during a time I am irrational and illogically thinking. I had to go into to urgent care sunday and they really pressed things hard on me I did not want. I kept saying when we know whats wrong then we will know what to do next. Since thats was the case they sent me home. (they were going to keep me over night). Come to find out it was kidney stones and kidney infection, HOWEVER it did not change the fact they were trying to force treatments and tests that had nothing to do with the the pain and reason i was there. I was more then willing to go threw tests and treatments that make sense, I was not ok with them being clueless and saying " I do not know, the doctor wants you to take this med" Took two hours to find out what the med was and why.( was a class d antibotic, they are not even suppose to give it to pregnant women) sorry for the long reply lol.

I am having a home birth with a midwife. In the usa we lose more babies and mothers then we are let on to believe. " A business of being born" Is excellent video to watch. Its little less graphic then the youtube videos. very informational, and you can look up any facts and find they are not lieing. its on netflix. I agree going about it totally alone is not a good idea. Some one trained should be there. just my opinion. you got to do what you feel you need to do. For me, its staying out of a place where I am forced into things during a time I am irrational and illogically thinking. I had to go into to urgent care sunday and they really pressed things hard on me I did not want. I kept saying when we know whats wrong then we will know what to do next. Since thats was the case they sent me home. (they were going to keep me over night). Come to find out it was kidney stones and kidney infection, HOWEVER it did not change the fact they were trying to force treatments and tests that had nothing to do with the the pain and reason i was there. I was more then willing to go threw tests and treatments that make sense, I was not ok with them being clueless and saying " I do not know, the doctor wants you to take this med" Took two hours to find out what the med was and why.( was a class d antibotic, they are not even suppose to give it to pregnant women) sorry for the long reply lol.

I prefer long replies! It gives me something to read and reply to. :)

I support your decision fully in having a home birth, but having a midwife [as you are] there changes everything completely. But being alone with just one other person and sometimes alone is just terrifying should anything go wrong!!

I've considered it. But I want at least a midwife there. However I have met 4 women in my neighborhood in Hawaii who have done it.

jeez...i would consider a homebirth as i'm on 15mins away from the hospital but not an unassisted one - too much risk for mum and baby... bit concerned that being my first baby even a homebirth may be unrealistic but just want to go in with an open mind and see what happens... good luck everyone!! xx

thank you for your understanding. I get people telling me how dangerous it is to have at home. My mid wife had lost 2 babies out of 900 births, the ob would not eve give me a quote on the numbers. It took lots of digging and found its on the upwards of 30 percent! say wha? I do say you need to be with in 5-10 mins of the hospital, and have some one that knows some medical. The more knowledge the better. Its been hard deciding for me as many people try to force thier view on me. Its frustrating to talk to them people cause they do not even know 1/3 of the science of what goes on. One women told me how horrible I was ( she gave birth to 4 kids) and how irresponsible i was being. I kept asking how much pitocin did they give you and she kept avoiding the question. She finally stated she had no clue what it was i was asking her! I ask this of the women who try hard to scare tactics me, to find out how much about thier birth did they actually know about. I hope we all get the births we want. I pray all our children will be fine. I just urge women to learn as much as you can. As its your choice, your body, and your child. Only you can do what is right for you :)

scary. Too risky for my taste...
I kinda don't understand the reasoning that it is more relaxing not to have any help in case of an emergency - I actually do feel safer at hospitals, especially 'mine' that is 5 mins from where i live and has the best neonatal care center in the region.
But where i live it is not common to administer a lot of drugs to women in labor, also the epidural is not very commonly used. Also the birthing rooms have a quite nice atmosphere and midwives on stand by. Plus, a breakfast buffet lol.
But I have to say i want a birth like the one of the red head woman in the second video. very admirable!

Incredible! Very brave women indeed. Bit scary to watch lol and that first lady, wow. How did she find the mental strength to overcome all of the pain? Not for me but fascinating to know women are making these choices for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->