Fright of my life- he fell down the stairs :(

eddjanuary10

Reaction score
We were at FIL's house last night for dinner and there were maybe 20 people there as alot of family were over to visit relatives from abroad. Usually the living room door is always shut as there are 2 toddlers around but with people going to the bathroom etc it was probably left open and I didn't notice at the time as I was helping to clear a few plates away. I turned round and there were no toddlers to be seen so I immediately ran out towards the stairs but I was too late:nope: I heard a big 'THUD', and my lo crying and then another thud, thud and it all happened so fast. Luckily DH's aunt was standing at the bottom of the stairs at the front door and turned to stop him from landing on the hard wood floor but he still fell down all of the stairs :cry: He can actually climb down the stairs (with me there beside him) but FIL's stairs are quite narrow so he probably slipped. I dread to think he was practicing going down properly as he has started doing that in our house, as that means he would of gone head first. I couldn't stop hugging him for ages I was so worried and felt soooooo guilty for not being there as he is never out of my sight unless another adult is playing with him, especially at relatives homes.

We took him to the hospital to have him checked over as he had 3 lumps and a cut between his eyes and I just felt like crying as I shouldn't have even left him unattended for a minute and it could have been so much worse. They kept him for a few hours for observation and then we got home. I'm just so glad he is ok and seems fine today. I am watching his every move today, so paranoid now!

Its so true, you can't turn your back for a minute!

huge hugs to you both, it must have been so scary for you x

:hugs: Bless your heart you sound as though you're right in the middle of guilty mummy zone. There's NOTHING you could have done - with the best will in the world we all turn our back for a nanosecond and the little munchkins take the opportunity and do something to themselves. I swear - most of the time I follow H around like a bad smell and then I think to myself leave her alone what can she possibly hurt herself on here.... well she always finds something.

Dont beat yourself up honey - he's fine and it wont be the last bumps he gets.

Big hugs to you and him. :flow: xxxx

Dont blame yourself at all! Things like this happen to us all despite our best intentions. I was at a friends yesterday, was stood right next to lucas as he climbed onto a toddler chair and somehow he still fell off it and banged his head! I felt horrendous. HUGS hun hope your lo is now ok xx

:hugs: your poor thing, what a horrible fright for you. This happened to us the day we moved house last year, the stairgate was down because it had been taken to the new house and we were just getting the last few things ready to leave. I thought my daughter was with my husband but she had followed me upstairs. I turned round to see her on the top step and she fell backwards all the way down to the bottom. It was absolutely terrifying, I reached out to grab her but couldn't. I raced down the stairs and she was lying there looking spaced out, we had to call the paramedics out as she wasn't really making much sense but she perked up loads at the hospital and other then a bump on the head and a few bruises she was ok. Still one of the absolute worst days ever - had flashbacks of seeing her fall for ages. :cry: really do need eyes in the back of your head.

:hugs::hugs: I know how you feel as K took a tumble down our stairs a few months ago. I can still hear the thumps of him coming down in my head :cry::cry: I'm sure you will remember it a lot longer than your LO. :hugs:

You poor thing, please don't feel guilty. We all turn our backs for that fateful moment when LO does their best to do themselves an injury, lol! I think they do it on purpose. I have a real paranoia about our stairs, they are steep, turn a corner and end up in the kitchen which has a marble tiled floor. Makes me feel sick just thinking about it!

Thanks girls, I do feel terribly guilty but a bit better now. I guess it can happen to any of us and like you say emyjc, you could be standing right there and they still manage to hurt themselves.

Thats horrible Tina that you had to see your lo fall, I find it hard like Kaybee says just to get the thumps of him falling out of my mind.

Main thing is our lo's are ok and I'm sure there will be more bumps to follow. I will just make sure I don't let him run off out of my sight at peoples homes who don't have stair gates in future!

Hugs xxx

:hugs: Don't feel bad..it was an accident..they happen to all of us..Harvey was standing in his buggy looking out of the window,he usually does this fine,he went to get down,caught his foot in the strap,fell backwards head first onto the floor.He dozed off after about 5 mins,rushed him to A&E where they said he was fine.xx

:hugs: Don't feel bad..it was an accident..they happen to all of us..Harvey was standing in his buggy looking out of the window,he usually does this fine,he went to get down,caught his foot in the strap,fell backwards head first onto the floor.He dozed off after about 5 mins,rushed him to A&E where they said he was fine.xx

Poor Harvey :sad1: Glad he was ok :thumbup:

Think the lo's get more of a fright than anything else at times. Its just so scary when its their little heads isn't it.:hugs:

:hugs:

OH dropped Harrison down the stairs when he was 3months old and knocked him out for about 10seconds.
He was then sick (but he has reflux so we wernt sure if it was reflux or the bump) and he was tired coz OH was putting him upto bed :dohh:
Then the rest of my night was spent in 2hospitals! - NIGHTMARE

:hugs:

OH dropped Harrison down the stairs when he was 3months old and knocked him out for about 10seconds.
He was then sick (but he has reflux so we wernt sure if it was reflux or the bump) and he was tired coz OH was putting him upto bed :dohh:
Then the rest of my night was spent in 2hospitals! - NIGHTMARE

Thats awful hun, and only 3months you must have been so scared :nope: Bet poor DH felt rotten too. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->