From swaddle to sleeping bag

Cookie1979

Reaction score
I've swaddled my baby for some time now, I find he settles so much better, but now he's bigger (he's big for his age and very strong) he is wriggling out of it, infact I woke up in the night and he has wriggled so much that the blanket was over his face, so I took the blanket off and put him in his sleeping bag. I barely got any sleep last night, he just wriggled and wriggled, grunted, grizzled, cried out...kept settlling him for him to wake an hour later, he fed 3 times between 11pm and 7am and still grizzled.

Not sure what to do, I thought maybe I could continue to swaddle him but use safety pins to keep it in place so there is no danger of it going over his face again, or do you think that is a bad idea? I was just thinking of using one to secure the end so it doesnt rise up. Or do you think with time he will get used to the freedom of the sleeping bag. I spose swaddling is alot warmer and snug, so in winter he sleeps better, I mean last night was chilly, we kept the heating on but the temp as really dipped outside.

Any advice or suggestions would really be appreciated!! He was sleeping quite well up until recently, he would go down at 8pm, I'd dream feed at 10.30pm, then he'd sleep 5 hours have a feed and then sleep for another 2 and a half to 3 hours, now he wont sleep for more than 3 hours, and last night I felt like he was constantly waking up, was every 1 to 2 hours.

If anyone can recommend a good swaddle blanket then I would appreciate it, just looking now but dont want to buy one and find I have the same problem with it as I have now.

Can you buy a slighjtly bigger swaddle? If he's a real wriggler I would probably avoiud using safety pins. Babies can perform Houdini-esque feats in their sleep! I came in the other day to find my LO's legs sticking out the side of her cot.

Do you use a blanket or a proper swaddle? Have a look on ebay, they have swaddles for 3-6 months quite cheap. We moved LO into a sleeping bag at around 4mo and it was fine so perhaps your LO still needs the comfort of a swaddle.

Thank you. I have tried using a swaddle blanket but he could escape really easily and before I knew it anyway he was too big for it. Now I just use a blanket which was working fine up until this week.

I just started googling so will see if I can find one that will keep him in it.

Yes we used a blanket too but as soon as she was able to lift her bum up using her legs and wriggle about, that was over! I hope you find one that works :)

Until recently I used a large (120cm sq), very thin muslin square over a sleeping bag. This got him used to the bag but kept his arms from thrashing about. He would break out eventually but it helped him get to sleep. The muslin is very, very thin (less easy to find in UK) and if it went over Ollies face it was thin enough to breathe through.

We've finally weaned him off dummy and swaddle. It was a bit tough but we persevered and he is fine now.

I have been swaddling my LO since birth & I decieded the other day to buy a grobag....She didnt settle, so swaddled her & she went to sleep! :sleep:

My DH is worried that if she were to turn on her side/front, she couldnt get herself over again, as her arms are swaddled....Although she cant do this yet, he still worries

What do you Girls say to that? :shrug:

Thanks for the replies.

My son hasn't started rolling yet but that is a worry with swaddling, hadn't really thought about it. Its the arm thing I think, without swaddling to keep his arms down he was thrashing all over the place. I was hoping I could continue to swaddle while its really cold as I know its nice and snug when he's wrapped in a blanket.

Just not sure what to do, I am so tired today cos he barely slept that I think I'm going to swaddle him securely in hope that we both get a good nights sleep, but I know I can't swaddle forever.

Just found this while looking online:

https://www.mothercare.com/Summer-I...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

I'm considering getting it.

Ignore the above link...just looked at it on amazon and the reviews say it is rubbish!!! Back to the drawing board!

we tried moving Chloe from swaddle to sleeping bag, we wrapped a thin sheet around and underneath her to help hold her arms in. it worked to get her off to sleep but she woke herself up in the night as she broke free so is now back in her swaddle. its hard to know how to make the transition.

How do you swaddle him? I have recently discovered the "double swaddle" technique because Stewart is a little houdini when it comes to all swaddles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnsKlluHIg

Thanks for posting the video!! That baby wont be getting out of that swaddle!!

Think I will give it a go although I need to buy a sheet to do it with, all mine are fitted and the blankets aren't big enough.

I use the miracle swaddle blanket, which has been excellent, but now he is bigger the end only just wraps underneath him which means it can easily come loose when he wriggles about. He's definitely not ready to be unswaddled, when his arms are loose they flap about everywhere keeping him awake. So I'm going to start looking into bigger sized swaddles for now and try removing it again in a month or so when his startle reflex should be more under control (hopefully!). I know woombies come in different sizes and has a zip so no way LO can break out and get it over their head, so I might try one of those.

I was looking at Woombies and they look quite good.

I've just improvised, used a muslin to secure his arms like on the video posted (couldn't find anything else that would work and was thin) and then wrapped the blanket round him like usual, means his arms are by his sides and hopefully he wont be able to get them up by his neck like he usually does.

I bought a Summer Infant swaddle pod which looks a lot like a Woombie but LO kepts getting his hands and then arms out the top!
I notice the miracle blanket is effectively doing the double swaddle. That would explain why LO clams down when I put him in it. Some people might not like that method cos it leaves their legs free but that's handy when using a sleeping bag. Also my LO uses a sleep positioning wrap to keep him on his 30 degree reflux wedge and the harness has to go through his legs making traditional swaddles unsuitable.

Let us know how you get on.

I bought a Summer Infant swaddle pod which looks a lot like a Woombie but LO kepts getting his hands and then arms out the top!
I notice the miracle blanket is effectively doing the double swaddle. That would explain why LO clams down when I put him in it. Some people might not like that method cos it leaves their legs free but that's handy when using a sleeping bag. Also my LO uses a sleep positioning wrap to keep him on his 30 degree reflux wedge and the harness has to go through his legs making traditional swaddles unsuitable.

Let us know how you get on.

Oh dear, don't want to invest in a woombie type swaddle if he can get his arms free, it's game over if that happens! Might have to fashion my own larger miracle blanket.

well it worked, i used the method of securing his arms as shown in the video on page 1 using a muslin, then i wrapped the blanket round him, he didnt escape all night and slept so much better! Also it kept his legs free and i was able to check he didnt need changing in the night.

yay success!!!!!

def think its worth copying the video on page 1.

Brilliant! So glad it worked! :happydance: Yes I also find this swaddle style handy for checking my LOs ever-producing bum without setting his little arms free which invariably wakes him up!

I only just realised - our LOs are exactly the same age! Born on 25th November?

My HV said I should try & get my LO out of her swaddle now

So I tried the grobag again, but nope :nope: She wouldnt settle!

Eeek, can you ever get these babies out of swaddles? :shrug: Starting to wish I hadnt started with one!...Never did with my two Sons!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->