FRUSTRATED with pumping!

MeghanB

Reaction score
My son is a little over 3 weeks old, and I've been breastfeeding from day one. At his 2 week mark, we had a Drs appointment to keep an eye on his weight, to make sure he was gaining weight. When he was born, he was 8lbs 15.4ozs. At his 2 week weigh in, he was only 8lbs 9ozs. So, my Dr suggested I go to a breastfeeding support group to have him weighed, and get any questions I had answered. At the 3 week mark, it was the second day of the support group, and he had LOST weight. :( I was breastfeeding like a maniac and this was disappointing for me. So, the nurse suggested I breastfeed and supplement with formula right after, just to get the weight gain jump started. She also suggested I pump 3 times a day for 3 days to help get my supply up.

Well, I've been pumping, but I'm still only getting 1oz from the right side, and less than half an oz from the left, and I am so frustrated. I don't think it's my pump, because at less than half strength it can get the milk flowing well. I'm also worried about my left nipple. Both nipples get dark purple/black when I pump, but the left nipple gets extremely dry and BLACK almost instantly, and I have to keep moving the strength up in order to get ANY milk from it. And the pain is pretty bad. I can only pump that side for about 5-10 minutes before the milk stops flowing and the pain gets bad.

Any reason for this? I am planning to take my pump to the next support group day on Monday, but I was hoping some of you might also have some insight to the cause. Perhaps some of you have had these problems?

I'm just so frustrated because I'm trying to do what's best for my baby, since I was unable to breastfeed my first son, and I'm getting all of these setbacks. :(

P.S. Sorry this is so long!

what kind of pump are you using? It doesn't seem to be the right one for you, or else the attachment is the wrong size. YOu shouldn't be turning black, that's for sure, and it shouldn't hurt like that. I would call your lactation consultant and talk to her about it, or call your hospital one if you have one, since they are the pros with the pumps. Something is amiss. Not everyone can pump as much as they would like, but that just sounds like something is wrong with the pump sizing on you. Good luck!

Are you still using the nipple shields? Remember what I said regarding those and weight gain issues? If you're still using them and able to wean off them many of your weight gain issues may be instantly resolved. If you're already weaned off them it may take a little time for your supply to pick up when BF directly. Does the pump have adjustable suction? It may be that the pump's suction is set too high for you some ladies need to have the suction/cycling set very, very low, also if possible with whichever pump you have you may need to change the flange size the one you have may be too small or large for your nipple. Also if they are advising you to top up with formula, which really shouldn't be anything but a last resort, it would be better to top up with EBM they should be advising you to pump after every feed also, 3 times a day is not enough. With the pumping after you feed you won't be getting much, 1 and a half oz would be pretty average though it may pick up after a few days. But the main goal with that is to increase your supply and it will do even if you don't get much out; but it needs to be straight after every feed. xx

The only time I use the shields now is if my nipples are sore. The suction on the pump is just at 3 out of 8 levels. It's the same strength as my son sucks. I know that pumps aren't as efficient at getting milk as the baby is. :(

I'll def try to pump after every feeding, but that can be difficult with a toddler running around, and when we go places. Like I said, I'll be taking my pump to the next meeting on Monday so hopefully the nurse can let me know if the flange is the right size or not.

This happens with my left side. I think it is (for me) an attachment size issue, but my pump only comes in one size...

I do wish I could get more out, though. I'm less than 1/2 oz on that side, still.

It definitely sounds like your actual attachments are the wrong size... Too small? If you get a Medela pump you will be able to order the right size attachment to suit you.

Yes, it began in 2011, but by commenting on it, I brought it to 2013 bc it described what I was going through. It may no longer be relevant to OP, but is to me, and may also be to other moms. Plus maybe OP can share results of her experience. You never know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->