• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

FSH Level of 8.6mIU at 29yo- bad?

newlywedtzh

A Mom At Last!
Reaction score
Hi Guys :hi:
I was hopign someone could help me interpret my blood work.

I had 2 M/C's at 7 weeks and one prior chemical pregnancy during 2013. I Was d/x with MTHFR homo A type- and had my rainbow baby a year ago thanks to clomid, high dose folic acid, and oral progesterone.

Which leads to now, I am still nursing but my period has not yet returned- which can be normal (avg is 14 months). However, I am REALLY thin- I've always been naturally thin and I think nursing just kind of sucks the life out of me. I am 105lbs (normal around 118) at 5'4 so my BMI is less than 19%. My doctor did not like this and wanted to run some routine blood work.

Everything is okay except one indicator of a poor diet and malnutrition (which I'm going to work on) but she also tested some hormone levels... and I am really upset.

My FSH was 8.6 mIU. LH 8.9 My estrogen was very low at 28.1 (typical with breastfeeding) so this number should be accurate. From what I read it is technically still considered a "good" FSH but for my age (I am 29) very bad and is an indicator of poor ovarian reserve and even low quality eggs.

was finally not feeling any pressure to TTC and wanted to just let nature takes it course this time. Well this little number has made all optimism go out the window-and am right back to doubting if I'll be able to concieve. When I was going through fertility treatments for the M/C's two years ago - my ovarian reserve was never brought up and I'm sure they tested it. How can things change so much in two years? From what I've read nursing has no effect on the FSH number, but I'm hoping because I'm underweight at the moment and still in lactational amenorrhea that it could have something to do with it

Anyway- I was just wondering if any of you gals had any input. I am really not ready to wean - was hoping to go another year- but now I am feeling that I am racing against the clock for baby #2 which I very much want. To think I was feeling so zen about the whole thing- the pressure was off, and I'm honestly not ready for #2 yet. I wish I didn't know about this number.

Does anyone have any input?

Congratulations on your baby.

Re your FSH i dont think you should panic. First those ranges are for women on day 3 of their cycle, since your periods have not returned this does not apply and so i dont think can be interpreted in the same way.

Also my understanding is that your fsh will be higher when lactating (hence why higher chance of twins) as lactating is suppressing to your ovaries and so your brain will naturally try and stimulate them more with more follicle stimulating hormone.

If you not ready to wean then don t feel under pressure, i d focus on getting your body back to its optimum wgt as a pregnancy now would likely be harder as your reserves are so low. Often it is the nightime feeds that stop your periods and sometimes just cutting them out will restart them (my periods didn t return till 23mns approx 1mn after i finally managed to cut out the night feed, i continued to bf another yr and managed to get preg 6mn later while on two feeds a day tho sadly miscarried tho unrelated as i have subsequently been diagnosed with immune issues).

Once your periods are properly back then you can always check your fsh again on day 3 to be sure its ok.

Good luck on your journey and i hope baby no 2 comes when you and your family are ready.

oh my gooodness- thank you!!! I feel so much better now haha. I did find a few published articles on the subject (very few research done on hormones while lactacting especially in regards to fertility though) where they found the FSH tends to be on the higher end of a normal follicular phase level- which is what mine seems to be. I am starting to drink nutrition shakes to hopefully get my BMI back up to normal levels. Thanks again for your reply- it made me feel loads better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"