FTM - need some help!

Sarahdisco

Mummy to Jessica
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

LO was born on Tuesday and after a hellish day and night we ditched breast feeding. LO just would not stay latched on and we ended up syringing colostrum in the hospital, poor little thing didnt eat properly for those first couple of days.

Anyway, on the way home we got some cow and gate and a starter pack to get us started off. In the hospital the midwife said to aim for about 30-40ml per feed, with no longer than 4 hours between feeds (if she took 20ml, then feed 2 hours later, 3 hours or 30ml, etc). LO has been taking 35-40ml every 3.5 hours since.

As we're now moving from the starter pack to the actual powder, can someone please point me in the right direction in terms of how much am I best making up, how on earth I should tackle preparing night feeds!! And any tips they have. I know the guidance on making bottles up has changed so any advice anyone has would be fab!

Thanks

Sarah & baby Jessica xxx

We used to make up about 4 feeds as directed on the packet but then rapid cool them in a bowl of ice cold water. Then transfer quickly to the back of the fridge. We'd then take one out as and when he needed it and warmed it up.

Night feeds are rubbish for this reason. To do it 'properly' with fresh boiled water it takes around 20-25 mins to cool it down.
I'd consider using pre made stuff as it's quicker to warm it slightly by sitting the bottle in a bowl of hot water or using the method described by the previous poster.

We boiled water each morning then rapid cooled it in cold water. Popped it in the fridge in a jug with a lid. When we needed to make a feed we boiled the kettle added half the desired water to the bottle mixed in the powder then added the other half of the cooled boiled water and then it was the right temp immediately. By mixing the boiling water with the powder you are killing off the bugs as per the guidelines.

Good luck.
Joy x

During the day I fill bottles with boiled water and leave them on the side to cool. My LO drinks 7oz so I fill with 4oz and then top up with freshly boiled water as needed and cool in a jug of cold water. Takes 5 mins max. At night we're a bit naughty - we take bottles of boiled water and tubs of powder (all measured out) and mix as needed. My LO is happy to have his bottles at room temperature but this isn't recommended as the milk powder isn't actually sterile. Since I stopped breast feeding our LO only really has one night feed and sometimes none (he's 15 weeks) so to me the risk is minute, but ready made is just as convenient and sterile too!

Welcome baby Jessica!

We have a perfect prep machine and I would recommend to anyone!

We knew we wanted to BF from the start but encountered similar problems to you so after 3 days we ended up on formula. Through my own ignorance I'd never looked at even how to make up a bottle as I just assumed BF would take off. So we bought this machine, 2 mins and you have a bottle ready for LO. I mean is it realistic to make bottles up when needed when you have a hungry screaming newborn who needs feeding when they want?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Perfect/dp/B00BG6304A

Welcome baby Jessica!

We have a perfect prep machine and I would recommend to anyone!

We knew we wanted to BF from the start but encountered similar problems to you so after 3 days we ended up on formula. Through my own ignorance I'd never looked at even how to make up a bottle as I just assumed BF would take off. So we bought this machine, 2 mins and you have a bottle ready for LO. I mean is it realistic to make bottles up when needed when you have a hungry screaming newborn who needs feeding when they want?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Perfect/dp/B00BG6304A

Is it as good as it looks? I mentioned it to OH and he's wanting to go and get it in the morning as we have mothercare vouchers to use but its not cheap so want to make sure it's good before we go ahead!

It honestly is! A few of the ladies on here have them and I haven't seen anyone say its not worked for them.

It may seem expensive but its so worth it for peace of mind with all the different advice on making bottles.

It's literally press button, add formula and give a good shake, press button and done!

So how does it work? Literally just two buttons? OH is going to get one in the morning for me so I just have to negotiate one more night with the kettle!

Honestly its just that two buttons!

Watch this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xb9Y0sNY4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH9xb9Y0sNY4

We bought it! Oh my god it's incredible!

OH went to mothercare (we had vouchers to use) and they price matched from Amazon so it was £80 so we only had to pay £30 of our own cash! Bargain!

Just tested it out and it's great! Can't believe how much easier it will be!

Aw I'm glad you got it! That's good they price matched too so you didn't end up paying too much yourselves! Just think of the time you save now you can have more cuddles with your newborn :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->