full bladder for ultrasound

countryrider

Reaction score
Why is it recommended to have a full bladder for your ultrasound apt?

I think in earlier pregnancy it is so that they get a clearer view of the entire uterus, not sure about why they'd ask for a full bladder in late pregnancy.

A full bladder pushes the bowels out of the way for a clearer picture.

I only had to have a full bladder for the ones in first trimester. After that, they actually have encouraged me to use the bathroom beforehand if my bladder is full so I'll be more comfortable! I think when baby is still tiny, the bladder helps push the uterus up so it's more visible. But once the baby and uterus are larger, they'd have no problem seeing it. Though I'd check with your doctor to be sure.

I never had to have one in this pregnancy due to the super new scanning machines they have :) Thank god!

On my apt. card that the nurse gave me it said April 5th @ 12:30pm, Full Bladder.

I'm hearing that it's mainly suggested in the 1st tri...so I'm confused as to why I need to do it at 29 weeks?? I have no complications, but maybe cause this is my first ultrasound this preg. they want to make sure to get a clear picture? My actual Dr's apointment is this coming Monday...will he mention anything about the ultrasound or just the info that I get from the tech unless something is wrong?

Hmm sounds strange to me. The place I go to only makes you have a full bladder up until 16 weeks.

at 20 weeks and 39 weeks they asked me to empty my bladder right before the ultrasounds!

I went in with a full bladder and was told it was too full!

Yea, what everyone else said, its mostly just in the first trimester. I only had to have a full bladder until my 14 week checkup.

I have been going for weekly ultrasounds and still have to fill my bladder. The sonographer has commented twice now on it being the perfect amount for her to get the pictures she needs, so, I do as she says.

Full bladder is only needed for ultrasounds early on because the full bladder helps push the uterus up making it easier for them to see a tiny baby. Later on there's no need because baby is big enough.

Also, when pregnant with my lil boy Corey I made sure I had a full bladder at 21 weeks and so many days and he told me to empty! With this pregnancy I needed full bladder at 11-12 weeks on first scan. Had next scan at 20 weeks, empty bladder and every 4 weeks after that.

I was told it pushes the uterus forwards towards the front of your tummy. PLus the uiltrasound waves travel better through liquid so they get a better picture.

At my 26 scan I only needed a half full bladder.

By 28 weeks scan I could have an empty bladder which was far more comfortable.

I have also had scans where my bladder has been too full and i have had to empty HALF out! not easy to do I can tell you.

If it says full bladder I would do it. I didnt at scan at 28wk scan thinking I knew better (also just really needed loo all time and was 45min from hospital!) and the sonographer couldnt see where placenta ended as bladder was in the way so I had to go back another time, what a wasted journey!If you are too full you can always empty it a bit! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->