fundal height and arrival of baby

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by mrsrobin, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mrsrobin

mrsrobin Well-Known Member

I have had all scans and everything measuring really perfect uptill my 30 week appointment. The MW checked my belly and told me the baby is growing too fast. The baby was around 32-33 weeks at that point. Me and my husband are not tall people and uptill now my son''s growth had been pretty accurate according to charts etc.

What do you ladies think it could be? Does it mean the baby arrives early or there is some defect?

2. tink28

tink28 Mum of 1 & WTT

did she base the fact she thinks the baby is growing too fast just on your fundal height? as ive measured as much as 6 weeks ahead before just due to babys position. fundal height isnt always accurate.

3. MarchMummy11

MarchMummy11 Guest

Babies grow at different rates. Sometimes it doesn't really mean anything. My first check I had at 27 weeks he was measuring 2-3 weeks ahead...the appointment after he was measuring up small....it wasn't until my last appointment at 34 weeks that he was measuring as he should. I'm quite small...5ft2 and a UK size 6-8 and my partner isn't very tall or big either.

I wouldn't worry too much if your midwife doesn't seem overly concerned and hasn't sent you for tests/scans etc. It also isn't accurate (I was told by the MW that the last 5 babies she had delivered had been wrong by about 4) :flower:

4. mrsrobin

mrsrobin Well-Known Member

she just measured the fundal height. Actually, till now I have not really understood the ''belly tapping method'' (lol) of the midwives so well!

5. bethanchloe

bethanchloe Well-Known Member

My baby is measuring about the same ahead according to the fundal height stuff. The midwife also referred to her several times as a 'good sized baby' and made a funny face at me as if to say good luck with that haha!
    She also told me that all I can feel is definitely baby as I'm not carrying any extra fluid so this one's definitely gonna be quite big - doesn't mean she'll be early though (as I keep being reminded)
    If it was anything to worry about I'm sure your MW would have referred you to hospital / doctor x

6. winegums

winegums Well-Known Member

Nope very innacurate at 39 weeks I was measuring 41 weeks and now nearly 2 weeks later still no sign of babies appearance lol

7. Divinebeauty

Divinebeauty Guest

I would deffinitely say not to worry, I am measuring 5-6 weeks and have been since around 28 weeks, I am carrying alot of water and bubs is a perfect size. My doc goes by fundal height as well and caused alot of unnecesary worry to me unfortunately about measuring to large and there being incredible amounts of waters around baby, but ultrasound proved them wrong, there is a bit more water then normal but not like they were thinking!

He says im a tricky one as I look ALOT further along then I really am because of how I carry... I carried the same way with my son so Im not too worried really.!

8. lousielou

lousielou Mummy

I agree - nothing to panic about. I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead right now, but it doesn't really mean a lot at the end of the day... centimetres weren't invented as a unit of measurement to work out how far along you are, so there's always room for an element of error with regards to fundal height measurements I reckon!

9. MagicBracken

MagicBracken Well-Known Member

I have been a minimum of 2 cms ahead all the way through my pregnancy and am due saturday so no sign of it meaning bubs is coming early!!!

10. jenfen

jenfen Well-Known Member

i'm measuring 2 weeks ahead too but only had scan last week and i know the baby is spot on size! Jx

11. FatBelly

FatBelly Member

Yeah everyone says I'm not going to make it til April..and I go in tom for my 2 week...I have the same fear. I pray that I do make it!!

12. bellabump5

bellabump5 Well-Known Member

I'm measuring about 5 cm bigger and I look as if I'm about to give birth!! Got a scan at 28 wks to check babies size so we shall see but I've also blown up like a water balloon!! x