Fundal height issues

Eleanor ace

Reaction score
OK so I know that fundal height isn't very accurate, but I'm a bit concerned. At my 37 week appointment LO measured 35 weeks. I was a little worried as my measurements had been spot on until then, and I was already a bit worried as LO isn't a big mover. Now I'm 39+ 5 and my fundal height is 36. My MW said that its fine but I was always told (by my old MW and my consultant) that 2 cm out either way is OK, more than that and they would look into whether LO's growth is OK.
My MW isn't great, she has told me some stuff wrong and isn't very helpful. I'm wondering whether I need to push to get checked by someone else?

I have been measuring over by 1cm since 28 weeks, My midwife said the same about being 2cm either way is ok but if it gets to 3 or more then a growth scan will be needed so I would say get a 2nd opinion on it x

OK so I know that fundal height isn't very accurate, but I'm a bit concerned. At my 37 week appointment LO measured 35 weeks. I was a little worried as my measurements had been spot on until then, and I was already a bit worried as LO isn't a big mover. Now I'm 39+ 5 and my fundal height is 36. My MW said that its fine but I was always told (by my old MW and my consultant) that 2 cm out either way is OK, more than that and they would look into whether LO's growth is OK.
My MW isn't great, she has told me some stuff wrong and isn't very helpful. I'm wondering whether I need to push to get checked by someone else?

No idea who came up with this 'fundal height' thing but quite frankly, it is such a load of rubbish and from personal experience shows no baring on reality. My fundal height measurements were working out right on cue - bang in the middle of their lovely chart. Well, same day they did an extra scan on me because of my history with pre-e and the baby was way below the 10th percentile for size. The difference between the fundal height measurement and measurements done on the ultrasound bared no similarity whatsoever. I have had a growth spurt since which probably puts me over the line now ha ha
I doubt any fundal height measurement is actually accurate on any woman. It doesn't take into account the size and shape of us women or the genes that make up that baby growing inside. My 6ft 2 husband was only 5lb at birth. A friend of mine was measuring HUGE throughout and her baby was still less than 8lb.

If all your other signs are healthy # BP, urine clear, they are happy with baby's movements and you have no past history of anything that might of concern, I would say your baby is absolutely fine in there. You are so close to full term now too,try not to stress - I think maybe you're having a little bundle or he/she is just well hidden :flower:

No idea who came up with this 'fundal height' thing but quite frankly, it is such a load of rubbish and from personal experience shows no baring on reality. My fundal height measurements were working out right on cue - bang in the middle of their lovely chart. Well, same day they did an extra scan on me because of my history with pre-e and the baby was way below the 10th percentile for size. The difference between the fundal height measurement and measurements done on the ultrasound bared no similarity whatsoever. I have had a growth spurt since which probably puts me over the line now ha ha
I doubt any fundal height measurement is actually accurate on any woman. It doesn't take into account the size and shape of us women or the genes that make up that baby growing inside. My 6ft 2 husband was only 5lb at birth. A friend of mine was measuring HUGE throughout and her baby was still less than 8lb.

If all your other signs are healthy # BP, urine clear, they are happy with baby's movements and you have no past history of anything that might of concern, I would say your baby is absolutely fine in there. You are so close to full term now too,try not to stress - I think maybe you're having a little bundle or he/she is just well hidden :flower:

Completely agree with everything said here. However, mother knows best and if it will put your mind at ease then i'd think about talking to someone else. It can't hurt :thumbup:

Mine was always 2-3cm behind and i worried, so went for a private scan at 34w (that sonographer down in slapton who scans for £50) and it actually showed quite a big baby, just lower fluid, so I stopped worrying.

I measured 35 on Thursday and gave birth to a 7lb 5oz baby boy on Saturday! (2 weeks early!)So the scan was pretty much spot on rather than the FH!

Completely agree with everything said here. However, mother knows best and if it will put your mind at ease then i'd think about talking to someone else. It can't hurt :thumbup:

Absolutely agree. Mother's instinct ~ always check out concerns xx

Thanks ladies! :hugs:. I've had this niggling feeling throughout the pregnancy that something is wrong with LO :(. I know its probably just me being a worry wart, and maybe because I've had some health concerns during my pregnancy, but I don't want to ignore something that could be wrong!
With my DS my fundal height was bang on, but I know that doesn't mean it should be with this one too. DS was a larger baby so it feels really weird to think that this Lo might be small!

With DD1 I measured 35 cm at 40 weeks. Baby was 6lbs 15oz, born at 40 weeks exactly. I did have regular growth scans. I wouldn't worry, but don't ignore it either. It would still be a good idea to get at least one scan for reassurance.

Yep I agree, if in doubt either pop along for a private scan or kick up a fuss and get the NHS to do one!
The guideline is supposed to be 3cm out, but our regular mw's never seem to follow the guidelines for that.. Or anything else!

I had a growth scan at 30 weeks and LO was measuring normally, my fluid levels were good, so when I mentioned my worries to my MW she said they wouldn't re-scan me. I think I will call the main office and say I'm worried and see if they'll scan me :(

Defo think you should push for a scan or check or something, im sure everything is fine and it defo depends on who measures you too but it would be better to be checked out i think! Especially as your MW is not particularly good :thumbup: xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->