Fundal Height!! Opinions please :)

jessilou

Reaction score
I had a midwife appointment at 24+4 weeks. They measured my fundal height and it was low on the graph. Around 22 cm. I was concerned but midwife said not to worry as baby is transverse so that is why my fundal height measured lower. Has anyone experienced this, and had their fundal height normal when re- measured later on in pregnancy?? Not sure if it makes a difference but I am a first time mum. At my 12 wk and at my 20 week scan baby was measuring correct to my dates.

I wouldn't worry especially if you're midwife said not to worry. I Know how easy it is to worry about everything in pregnancy though because I am one of those people.
I remember doing some research into fundal height and there is a plus or minus amount allowed too. The 24 cm for 24 weeks is just the average measurement. Plus everyone is different.
With dd I remember asking my midwife if I was carrying large because everyone kept telling me how huge I was and I was worried about a big baby. It turned out I was always measuring spot on. My midwife told me that some people carry small and have big babies and some people carry large and have small babies.

I wouldn't worry over a couple weeks. It's only if you measure way ahead or way behind they start looking to see if there is a problem as women do not all carry identically. I know ladies who have always carried 2-4 weeks ahead and had babies under 7lb full term and other who have measured a few weeks behind and had 8lb babies. I measured bang on for a singleton with my twins until 31 weeks then I measured ahead by 2 weeks. I delivered at 34+1 weeks and was measutring 36 weeks and I had 8.8lb of baby in there plus extra placenta and fluid. I am 5ft 1 too so not like I had anywhere to hide it.

I had a 24 week appointment yesterday and she said they dont measure until at least 26 weeks now as it can be really normal to measure a few weeks behind or in front before then x

My LO was transverse up to 34 weeks and always measured behind. My doctor told me that as long as they see growth week to week then they are not very concerned about the measurement- it's all about how baby is positioned at the time. When I was 38 weeks, my FH was the same as the last appointment (so no growth) and was measuring at 33 weeks. They sent me for a growth scan and saw all was fine. My LO wound up coming 12 days late and a little under 7 lbs but perfectly healthy. You can always call your doctor and discuss getting checked if you are concerned. I would rather go in for a scan than sit and stress about it. Best of luck to you :flower:

nothing to worry about, how baby is laying will make a difference.
a 25 weeks my bump was below the 5th centile, measured 22 weeks, was measured yesterday 28+4 and was measuring 28cm, he's head down and 3/5 palp

SFH is considered normal as long as it's within 2cm of how many weeks you are. So at 24 weeks anything between 22 to 26 cm is totally normal and indicative of nothing.

And even bigger differences in SFH with what is expected can be normal. The belly measurement is just the screen. I'm on
The other side of the spectrum and my SFH has been measuring 5 weeks ahead since around 8 weeks pregnant. But everything checked out normal on ultrasound.

Nothing to worry about Hun, at 23 weeks I measured 26cm with this baby, with my first son I was 38 weeks measuring 42cm so they sent me for a scan assuming he wud be massive, he was just 6lb 9oz when they scanned me lol and 2 weeks later when he was born he was a lovely little 7lb 6oz, so they fundal height doesn't always mean big or small baby at all, it's fine be be a few out either side, it's just a guideline not an exact science xx

At 24weeks I measured 28cm. I'm quite tall also 5foot 7inches. But I think it's just the way he is laying. Sometimes I seem to be sticking out loads. Then others my tummy is a bit flatter. So I know he is hanging out the back. If they was worried they would scan you 😃

I wouldnt worry hun, when I was 27 weeks the hospital measured me at 30cm I mentioned it to midwife and she only measures 27 th 28 centimetres , she said that different people can measure differently. There space for human error I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->