fundraising - your opinions please parents

bumpsmum

Mummy to Matthew & Daniel
Reaction score
For a long while now (more or less instantly haha) I really wanted to give something back as a thankyou for all the support and care Matthew received while in NICU and beyond...........

I LOVE making cards and things and have done some for Cancer Research UK before ans thought I might do some fundraising for BLISS or on my own for local NICU etc.

Do you think this is a good idea or too sensitive and tacky? We have all mentioned at some point that prem parents not necessarily congtratulated the same as term babies parents and in particular daddies seem to be less cared for than muumy's! I was thinking of making personalised cards (for mummies and seperates for daddies) ie congrats on birth of your baby son/daughter etc....... would making specific cards (done tastfully) for parents of prem babies be disrespectful?

Was thinking simple designs but some personal messages and sharing experiences for prem parents (ie success stories) as this may give new mums and dad ressurance.

I think there is a fine line between tacky and tasteful and like to think im on the right side of the line :flower: gonna make up a few mocks and let you guys see what you think.

Will either sell these and donate proceeds to local NICU or contact BLISS about offering them to sell online etc. Simple things like tiny knitting and blankets for cots/incubators all help as does donating old babu clothes to the units.

Anyone interested in getting involved feel free to PM me anytime xxx

Hello :) That sounds like a brilliaant idea. I know when my mum had lydia in April she only recieved 1 card congratulating her. WE have also been raising money for ADAPT. We even had some men dressed up as women parading through the streets! It was so funny and we managed to raise over £500 in 1 night!. I think any money no matter big or small is going to help.

Your idea is excellent! xx

Its a wonderful idea,

We are planning on rasing funds for Yorkhill's cardiac department due to Alex been cared for there and him needing more surgery there, as yet we are unsure of what to do.
We are looking for inspiration. xx

I think this is a great idea.

The cards are fabulous!

I think its awesome! Im currently doing a toy/clothing/gift drive for my NICU for Christmas and plan to do it yearly. I asked for basic things, blankets, clothing, small baby toys, and so on. I got a TON of donations and put in a lot of mine own stuff I bought.

Sounds a good idea, can I make a suggestion?

We received a fair number of cards congratulating us on Andrew's birth, but my MIL also sent a card when Andrew was discharged which I found really nice, I can't remember exactly what it said (am i bad!) but basically a "congratulations on baby coming home" or "welcome to your new home", that kind of thing.

really glad you all think its a good idea. Was thinking the wording could be some words of wisdow from parents who have been through the experience themselves to personalise them a bit ie.

'treasure every moment with your beautiful child, celebrate every milestone and achievement however small. Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy'
Mummy to Matthew born 33+4

Drew a blank there haha but you get the idea! Anyone who would liketo share some advice to pass onto new parents are more than welcome xx

oh great idea Marleysgirl will make a few of these too thanks xx

This sounds like a great idea...we got loads of congrats cards but they never felt appropriate to our situation as we never had the wonderful textbook birth...I think you may have found a new target market for cards...well done you and good luck! x

I think its a lovely idea, and I also like the idea of a coming home card.

I think the coming home card is a brilliant idea. I dont think (sorry) that I would have liked congrats cards when he was first born since it was SUCH a scary time, you know? It would have felt like people were down playing the situation.

But coming home?! I would have LOVED LOVED LOVED a card! And balloons, and sky writing airplanes! hehe

I think the coming home card is a brilliant idea. I dont think (sorry) that I would have liked congrats cards when he was first born since it was SUCH a scary time, you know? It would have felt like people were down playing the situation.
I did feel a bit like that. A lot of people did do all the congratulations stuff and were all gushy and coming out with all the stuff they say to full termers. I just thought it was a wee bit inappropriate at times. Especially the one woman, who when I had sent a work related email told me I should be not worrying about work and enjoying my baby. I verbally slapped her!

But, a friend of mine who had twins born prematurely, one of whom died, said she felt awful that people didn't congratulate her. I then felt awful because I hadn't done it either. It just didn't seem the right thing to do in the circumstances, but as she said, she was still a mum.

I suppose it is one of those situations where different people will feel different things.

But I do agree, a coming home card is an excellent idea.

(Although maybe the skywriter is a bit o.t.t. Maybe a marching band?)

I agree I didnt get much congrats either...but I think verbal would have sufficed for me. Cards would have been too much, but thats just IMO. I think welcome home cards are something people would keep forever because its such an emotionally wonderful time.

All my "congratulations on the birth" cards were from very close friends and family, so they wrote personal messages inside the cards that made them more appropriate for the situation - but I was really glad to have the cards, as it was bad enough being on the postnatal wards without a baby, being without any congrats cards would have been even worse. At least everyone who went past knew that I *did* have a baby, just not with me at that moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->