Fundus height measuring below the guidelines?

becstar

Sleep is for the weak
Reaction score
I had my 25+3 midwife appointment this afternoon and the cub's heartbeat is fine and it has been moving all day (as it tends to do - seriously, yesterday it didn't stop for more than half an hour before a new wriggling spree for an hour or so).

She measured me for the first time and the measurement was only 21cm, a few cm below the lowest measurement in the normal range in the book. She said it is only the first measurement and another midwife might make it 23cm or even more as it's not that accurate, so I'm not really worried bearing in mind the heartbeat and constant wriggling. But I've got to go back in 2 weeks instead of 3 and get measured again and if it's still small she'll ask for a growth scan. I also have to monitor fetal movements and call the day unit if I'm worried.

Did anyone else have this? Like I said, I'm not all that worried right now because I know a tape measure across my stomach isn't necessarily showing how big my baby is (if I'd had a fizzy drink and was bloated my tummy would surely measure more, right?!) but it's niggling and I wondered if anyone else had this early on and then had a growth spurt or something?

My friend who had her baby last october was measuring 'small for dates' to begin with then towards the end got pretty big so had to have lots of extra scans, her baby was fine. It's good that they will monitor it closely but probably nothing to worry about.

From your pic you look pretty petite so you may just be someone that has smaller babies, or your baby could just have been snuggled really far back towards your back which would make your bump smaller too. I constantly swing from my belly poking right out to looking just a bit chubby rather then pregnant!

Thanks Sian. I'm actually 5' 9"ish but I'm not fat, so it could be that. I also have quite wide hips and I think the baby lies transverse most of the time. Thank you for replying - I'm not really worried, just interested, you know?

i was allways over with my son but under with this 1 at 22wks they dnt really worry untill later on as it could just be babys just slower at growing

Is 23cm normal for 25 weeks?

The growth charts are personal and set up per individual using height and weight. When I had my scan at 20 weeks my baby was measuring just slightly above the average but my fundal height was just below for my height and weight. My midwife said not to worry about it. I know for myself that my baby moves positions a lot and when she does the size, shape and height of my bump change dramatically. I am like you 5' 10'' and BMI of 22, my hips are wide. Basically the midwife just said when I measured low that its not really all that accurate and that taller women have a lot more room for the baby so they are likely to measure lower and that only after a fair few measurements can they make an accurate assumption because for example it has stayed at the same or similar height in which case a scan would be needed or it has gotten higher but maybe on its own little track.

I read in the US they don't use it cos its so inaccurate especially if more than one person takes it.

Is 23cm normal for 25 weeks?

As a rough guide it's meant to be 1cm per week, but with a few cm either way variation.

Thanks amslou and everyone, it's good to hear that. My BMI was 21 before I got pregnant and I have wiiide hips so I think that's it.

Hi! Newbie here, but wanted to pop in with a word on that - I measured on average 2-3behind with ALL my kids - right up til the end. I had a normal scan about 20wks with all of them and with the first two it showed them to be growing on track with my LMP - I was just measuring small. Both were slightly transverse most of my pg and posterior for the remainder. They were both 8lb babes.
With my 3rd, I measured 2-3 behind also, and yet at a scan at 33 wks to recheck placental placement, I was measuring 3wks behind, but babe was measuring as 2wks AHEAD of my LMP (the scan at 24wk he was 1wk ahead and I was at 21cm - 3wk behind). He turned out to be 10.5lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So although I measured 5wk behind what they u/s said he was, all was fine.

Iagree that she should check growth in two weeks - if you grow 2cm in that two weeks, likely all is totally fine....

Thank you ChaoticMum. It's a big help to hear from people who have experienced this. I measured myself and made it about the same as she did so I think she's probably right... it's good to know it doesn't necessarily mean the baby itself is small. I think the cub lies transverse mostly from where the kicks are etc.

yer :) im due the same as u and im just under 25cm. but she said its not accurate its just and estimate. she did say though if it keeps measuring nice and small then it wont be a huge baby :) which is a big relief as i was a 10lb + baby xD

i measured small but i got told i look about 7/8months pregnant by everyone who sees me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->