• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Funny of the day - student dr

Glitter_berry

Mum of 2, 1 Pink, 1 Blue
Reaction score
Okay so maybe one not so bad / funny thing came out of my drs appointment today.

Student dr is feeling my belly and was asked by my dr to find the heartbeat.
So she is feeling around and goes I think it will be here. ( where I can feel his butt poking out ) tries can't find heart beat and gets this REALLY concerned look on her face , but the dr notices a little grin on my face and looks over and tells her to try a bit lower.

Ha ha and there it was a nice loud and strong 145 bmp.

I had a student doctor the other day & adored her, but I was surprised at how little she knew. I knew more than she did. I know they aren't doctors yet, but don't you have to know SOMETHING to get in the program? She was so sweet & excited when the baby moved, it was worth it though.

That's why I didn't say anything to her and let her figure it out herself.

I get the feeling not many people let them do anything as they get so excited when you let them.

I kind of accidentally did that to my doctor awhile ago. Baby tends to hide in my ribs, so I had to direct him a bit. It was before he felt for her, so I don't blame him or anything.

I had a student dr at my last appt, I'm 27 weeks and at the time was about 26w3d and when she was feeling my tummy she only got 23 ( I panicked) then the dr came over and measured me at 27 (moderate relief) then listening to the heartbeat she took forever to find I'm talking minutes of course but it felt like an eternity I was laying there lip quivering, on the brink of tears and the real dr comes over whips it out of hand and quickly finds his hb on the other side of my tummy. I just said 'thank God'! And the 2 of them quickly realised how upset I had become! It was actually awful, I still don't feel good about it :( I know they have to learn but I have to agree with pp they should know more before entering the program!!

As long as they keep their hands away from my hoo ha while I'm in labor they can practice on me as much as they like at my routine appointments. Dr will pull them up on anything they get "wrong"
They can come in and WATCH while I am in labor but that's about it I think. Somehow I don't think I will be in the mood for them to "learn by doing" then. Lol

Well i've been a student dr, and in restrospect realise i knew very very very little! For the first 3 years or so you mainly learn from books, so even though they may know things in theory when it comes to actually doing it, its very different.

I dont have a problem with them examining me, trying to find baby's heartbeat, taking blood, and other simple stuff but I dont want them to do internals or deliver my baby. That goes for junior doctors too. When I was a junior on my first shift in the labor suite, they told me to go stitch up a 2nd degree tear after showing me how to do it on a dummy vagina for 5 minutes :shock: I've gone private to escape the juniors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"