Funny vision.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by catty_smith, Apr 15, 2009.

1. catty_smith

catty_smith Well-Known Member

Ok, this is my 3rd baby on the way and during each pregnancy I've suffered from these really weird episodes with my vision. It's like I start seeing jagged flashy lines in the corners of my eyes then it moves over and it's gone adter about 20 minutes. I don't have a headache but I do feel slightly light headded for a while afterwards.

I know it's not high blood pressure, I actually have quite the opposite problem as my blood pressure is quite low. It's almost like an extended version of what happens if you stand up too quickly.

It only happens during pregnancy and perhaps a few times in afterwards when my body is returning to normal.

Does anyone else suffer from this at all? Is it something to do with hormones or bloodpressure? I've mentioned it to the doctors and midwives in the past but they've never really done anything about it.

I had one last week and one today. Luckily I've never had one when driving and I do get enough of a warning when I see the flashes starting so that I could pull over and sit it out until it's passed.

2. angelstardust

angelstardust mother of 3

Could be fluid retention on your eyes. I just have constant 'floaters', and so far my BP is fine. GP agreed it was probably just fluid retention and there is not a lot you can do about it during pregnancy.

3. xXDonnaXx

xXDonnaXx Well-Known Member

I had this quite regular when I was 30 weeks until the end. Although the flashy lights I was seeing only lasted a minute or so.

I think mine was because I had low iron. I was on Iron supplements but I still kept seeing them. The midwifes didn't seem concerned, so it musn't have been anything?

4. mari72

mari72 Well-Known Member

it sounds like a visual migraine, this is when you get the visual aura but no headache afterwards. Not anything to be concerned about as such but can be disconcerting

5. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

My GP told me that some of my visional disturbances can be caused by increased blood flow :)

6. catty_smith

catty_smith Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice guys. It's a relief to hear I'm not alone with this. Visual migrane does make sense because it seems to be what you'd expect in a migrane but without the headache so I was never really sure if this is what it was.

I suppose it's still just one of the weird and wonderful things our bodiec put us through when we're incubading a little baby! Thank goodness it doesn't mean that my eyeballs are suddenly going to explode....:blush: