Furloughed in the UK

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I have been furloughed since the end of March... Fast forward to now and I am still none the wiser as to when I will be returning to work. I work for a medium sized company and I know some departments are slowly returning but the managing director hasn’t given us any information whatsoever as to when my department will be returning.

I have a 7 year old son who is in year 1 at school and I don’t think he will be returning before September. I am 15 weeks pregnant and I am terrified of going back to work.

In the UK, can you request to stay Furloughed? I have searched online for the answers to this and haven’t managed to find anything. I suffer with anxiety and this whole situation of not knowing is really stressing me out. I know my employers are probably just as clueless as I am but am I right in thinking they should at least update us regularly to let us know what is going on?

Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy. Have you looked at the martin Lewis site for furlough information? He has spoken about it often, a lot to do with who is and isn't entitled to it. He has said to quite a few people who have been made redundant rather than furloughed to go back to their employer and ask. The scheme has been extended till the end of October but there will be some conditions placed on it over the next few months, including employers being required to contribute financially, these have not all been announced yet. Personally, if I were in your situation, I would speak to someone from hr, or your line manager, and ask if they had any new information about who will return when, and if some staff are remaining on the scheme can you be included. It would also be worth speaking to your midwife about the latest recommendations regarding self isolating when pregnant, if you can update your employer with that info it might be something they take into consideration - cheaper for them to furlough you than need to pay you sick pay...

Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy. Have you looked at the martin Lewis site for furlough information? He has spoken about it often, a lot to do with who is and isn't entitled to it. He has said to quite a few people who have been made redundant rather than furloughed to go back to their employer and ask. The scheme has been extended till the end of October but there will be some conditions placed on it over the next few months, including employers being required to contribute financially, these have not all been announced yet. Personally, if I were in your situation, I would speak to someone from hr, or your line manager, and ask if they had any new information about who will return when, and if some staff are remaining on the scheme can you be included. It would also be worth speaking to your midwife about the latest recommendations regarding self isolating when pregnant, if you can update your employer with that info it might be something they take into consideration - cheaper for them to furlough you than need to pay you sick pay...

Thank you for taking the time to reply :) No, I haven’t looked on that site, I will have a look and see if I can find anything on there. I read that from August, the government will be paying 25% of wages rather than 80% and the employer will need to make up the remainder if possible. I have spoken to my line manager and she is just as in the dark as I am with it all which is really frustrating! I have got an appointment with my midwife on Friday 29th so I will discuss with her what the latest information is regarding self isolating. I think I have been self isolating for so long that I’m actually getting worried about going out now.

Thanks again for your reply, its been a really big help! :)

See what you can find out. Its also worth remembering that by August you will be coming up towards 26 weeks, from which point (if I remember correctly) you can decide to take maternity leave!
Your employers risk assessment for your pregnancy should colour their decisions, that's why its important to keep up with the latest advice from your midwife, work should adapt your risk assessment to the changing advice.
As for your burgeoning fears about going out, please don't let them overcome you. Your world has become much smaller over the past few months, take small steps to broaden it. You dont need to go shopping or face crowds in the park, from Thursday a couple of chairs in the garden or out the back if you are in a flat, and a cuppa with a friend? (Sorry, are you in England? I know although Scotland are easing things later than England, we will be able to have people in our gardens, I'm not sure if England are the same).
Please hold on to the fact that this is still an exciting time for you and your partner, you are having a baby, everything else that's happening is just a hurdle that you'll get over.
Good luck

Sorry I didn't get notified of your reply #-o

I'll be 26 weeks on 7th August but I was hoping to work for as long as I can before starting maternity leave so I get more time to spend with the baby. I think I'll have to make a decision on that one closer to the time but it is definitely something to consider!

I've still not had an update from work but they have taken the time to update their website with how things will work for certain staff members who are out mixing with the public. As I am office based I'm hoping that I will be able to work from home if I do go back.

I'm in England and I don't think we are allowed to sit in the garden with a friend yet but I personally don't see the problem with that as long as social distancing is adhered to at all times :)

It's a glorious day today, I've done my housework so now I'm going to go and sit in the back garden with my kindle and top up my vitamin D :lol:

An afternoon in the sun is an excellent idea, enjoy.
I think you're right, wait and see a bit longer, hopefully being office based will mean working from home is a viable option to keep you off of early mat leave.
Scotland have just announced a slight change to our lockdown, as of tomorrow we can meet people from 1 other household outside at a time (to a maximum of 8 people), socially distanced, including our gardens. They don't want people in the house so when my friend joins me in the garden for prosecco on Saturday (bringing her own glass) I'll put a bucket and hand wipes in the hut should she need the loo
And tomorrow its coffee at the park with my pal - separate flasks, bring our oun cups.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->