Fussy 9 week old?

lovehearts

Reaction score
All of a sudden my 9 week old seems to fuss on every bottle and the last couple of days I'm having to keep offering him a bottle just so he has enough. We have explored silent reflux from when he was about 4 weeks old t about 6 weeks and we tried gaviscon (did nothing) and we changed from aptamil to cow & gate and it seemed to do the trick, he was much happier. Now a few weeks later he's started fussing on his bottles again, when I say fussing I mean he will take 3 oz no problem but after this he will scream so we burp hin and try to feed him again and he screams, thrashed his arms and legs around an moves his head side to side, it's like he doesn't like the milk. We give him his dummy and he is as happy as larry. try the bottle again and the same thing happens.

We used ready made cartons for a few days last week and since we swapped back he's gone downhill - have I made my son a formula snob? I'm concerned I'm missing something. I feel like I don't know him at feed times.

Why has my LO suddenly decided that he doesnt like his milk?

Xx

Have you tried moving up to the next teat size? Many of the things you've described can be signs of being ready for it.

We moved up a teat size last week and I'm starting ro think thayts the problem maybe?? I moved him up because his intake had dropped but since then I thiink that's when he's got fussy.I'm going to buy vari-flow teats - 1 is too slow and 2 is too fast xx

I'd try a smaller teat then hun if you've explored reflux xx

I'm trying variflow teats as of today, had 2 feeds with it. Still not taking much but he fell asleep on th last bottle rather than screaming.....I'm so lost

Xx

are you using TT CTN bottles by any chance? New teats can cause problems if you don't know about opening the valve. Try squeezing it open from the inside, and see if that makes any difference?

I could have written your post myself except for the reflux bit, ours was possible tongue tie, which she hasn't got.

Over the past 2 weeks her feeding habits have changed so much. She's always been a fussy feeder, but yesterday and today she's hardly had any milk. Probably 10oz total today so far including some water I offered her.

When she had her 7 week check last week I told the doctor that she purses her lips and won't let a bottle in, she bats the bottle away and shakes her head from side to side, then she'll arch up and kick hard. The doctor didn't believe me lol, apparently 7 week old babies can't do any of that!
She's on Similac formula on prescription (by a differnt doctor in the practice) becuase she's not gaining weight. She's gaining about 2oz a week.
I'm just waiting on a return phone call from the out of hours doctor as I'm seriously worried about her. I'm terrified she'll go downhill overnight. She's not had a wet nappy since 6pm tonight.

I hope you get some milk down him.

My lo did the same when she was tiny. I put her on infacol and the next day she was a totally different feeder, it made such a difference! I know it doesn't make much difference for most people, but it was fab for us. Just thought it was worth a mention as I know how stressful it was when my lo wasn't drinking :(

I found colic "remedies" were rubbish!

Ava doesnt know how to use the variflow tried them a few times. I hated Tommee Tippee CTN with a passion they're terrible bottles very cheaply made too. I switched to Avent best thing I ever did they're great bottles good quality and a good teat selection. Ava is still on size 2 slow flow and she manages 6oz in 10-15 mins with that xx

Iv never heard about opening the valves on the teats - I know you have to do it for the anti colic bottles but not the normal ones. I do give them a squeeze after iv washed them to get the water out so I would have thpught they would be open. Also I can see them working and the bubbles coming out.

Nessicle - did Ava's feeding improve once you switched bottles? I am considering a switch as I am totally lost which route to go down now!!!

Xx

massively I started with a size 2 teat and never changed :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"