Gained 8lbs in 4 weeks!

1sttimemama2b

Reaction score
Just went to the dr. today for my 4 week check up. Since I was 19weeks I have gained 8lbs!!! When I saw the number on the scale my jaw dropped to the ground. I hadn't weighed myself for a while and I just got back from going out of town (and eating whatever I wanted). This was really shocking because I hadn't gained much up until now. I expected it to be more gradual. When I look online I am 1lbs lower that my target weight range for my height. But my Dr. seemed surprised and told me to eat healthier and get more excercise (which I plan on). Now I'm concerned I am going to keep going at this rate. She asked me to explain the weight gain and it was really a combo of things. I had m/s on and off till about 17 weeks, plus there was the holidays and it's been rainy so I haven't been walking as much. Also, I've pretty much been letting myself eat whatever I want. Now I feel like I need to keep a closer eye on what I eat (cut out some sweets). I don't feel like I've gained that much, and I think it's all in my bump.

Just wondering if anyone else had a sudden weight gain in such a short period of time. I just keep reminding myself it's healthy for the baby. Plus, I lost a bunch in the beginning due to m/s.
For those of you around 23 weeks how much have you gained total. For me I guess it's about 11-12

why on earths your doc making out to be a bad thing i seriously wouldnt worry your self hun, everyone gains weight in pregnancy, seem more than others. it could simply be down to your hormones! ive gained a whole stone in 9weeks x

Hmm... I started out underweight so I'm actually supposed to gain 2 lbs per week. Most should only be gaining 1 lb per week. You definitely want to make sure the weight you're gaining is not from empty calories. The extra 200-300 calories per day should come in the form of nutritious snacks. Also remember that you may have just had a growth spurt and the weight will even out towards the end as long as you are eating well and exercising regularly.

I was on vacation for 3 weeks and like you, I had gained about 8 lbs. The reason for that was that all the people I was around kept on making me eat their food and would be offended when I denied. I've been back 1 1/2 weeks now and I've lost those extra 8 pounds again. I know it's not good but I've had a lot of stress since my return but I can honestly say that I was not comfortable with my weight when I came back. I guess it was bc I had gained it so fast. Now I'm back to deciding what I want to eat and don't overeat to make other people happy but rather quite when I don't feel hungry anymore. From past pregnancies though I remember sometimes putting on a lot of weight between appointments and sometimes no weight at all. As long as you are comfortable with yourself I don't think it's bad if you gain more weight than you actually 'should' during certain weeks. In the end as long as you watch what you eat and have a healthy diet your body is going to do with it whatever it wants to anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, I gained 15 pounds in 3 months! I didn't weigh much before being pregnant and am of very small frame and out of nowhere I gained a ton of weight! LOL. My Dr. doesn't seem concerned, he said that ppl gain at different rates and that maybe I'll just gain a few more and that will be that! However I am trying to be careful, the carbs with the M\S did me in at the begining!

Hmm... I started out underweight so I'm actually supposed to gain 2 lbs per week. Most should only be gaining 1 lb per week. You definitely want to make sure the weight you're gaining is not from empty calories. The extra 200-300 calories per day should come in the form of nutritious snacks. Also remember that you may have just had a growth spurt and the weight will even out towards the end as long as you are eating well and exercising regularly.

but oh do i love those empty calories :winkwink:

We're pretty close due date wise and the last 3 weeks have not been kind to me. So far I've gained 7lbs and I'm worried it will continue like this!! Total weight gain this pregnancy has only been 5lbs, and 7 of them (I lost weight early on) has been the last 3 weeks!!! Crazy! I'm worried where I'll be at my doc appt in 2 weeks! I'll probably be like 9lbs or heaven forbid 10 (in 5 weeks). I haven't been on vacation, and haven't been eating everything. I'm hoping baby is just having a BIG growth spurt. Thanks for posting this as I was starting to worry it was just me gaining like crazy!

Doc note: At my 16 week I was a little concerned cause I was still a few lbs down from my pre-pregnancy weight after losing some weight and gaining some back. I asked when should I be putting on weight and they told me don't worry at about 20 weeks you'll start gaining. I know they were serious now!

I have gained about 22 pounds so far, eight of them being between the past two appointments.

My doctor didn't say a word about it.

Sure, I eat too many empty calories, I know this. But, I make sure I get the nutritional stuff in too, so baby is taken care of.

And well, today is my birthday, so an extra piece of birthday cake (or two) is okay, right? :p

After this week, I will be more careful. But, as long as I am not gaining 75 pounds being pregnant, I am happy with where I am. Besides... all of my weight gain has been in my belly and boobs. I am still wearing the same size bra, but went up a cup size (DD) and my clothes all fit me except in my belly.

My midwife told me that I wont put on any weight really up until 20 weeks then it will start coming on

I dont understand why they weigh you at every visit in the US. Its just pointless.

Try not to worry about it to much, your growing a person inside of you of course your going to put on weight.

As long as your not eating mcdonalds every day id just carry on as normal

Thanks guys! My Ob is always very health focused. Even before I was pregnant she would lecture me about healthy eating habits. I don't think she was scolding me for my weight gain. I think I was just feeling shocked about it. I know it's totally natural to gain weight, esp since I lost weight in the beginning. I am a pretty healthy eating, but the weight gain is just a reminder that I could always eat healthier and exercise more. I think I've been using the pregnancy as an excuse to lost some of my healthy habits. "It's okay to have that milk shake...I'm pregnant!" In the beginning I was so sick with M/s I couldn't imagine exercising...or eating for that matter. Now that my appetites back I've gone a little nuts with the eating. Not too bad, but usually I would never let myself eat dessert everyday. Anyway, thanks everyone for making me feel better. I think I'll shoot for about 4lbs a month after this.

BTW I weighed myself on my home scale and according to that one (which I also weighed myself on at the beginning of pregnancy) I have only gained a total of 8-9lbs.

I wouldnt worry about it. I didnt gain anything for first 15 weeks but checked this morning and ive prob gained 7 to 8 pounds in the last 6 weeks, but I am not worried. I gained about 36 pound when I was pregnant with my son (he was quite big, 9lb 6 and I retained loads of water) but 10 days after his birth I was only 8lb off my prepregnancy weight.

Thats not bad it is only 2lbs a week

Up to 22 weeks i had gained 6lbs in total. Im now 29 & have gaiined 11lbs in total but alot of that went on over xmas :lol:

I've only gained 9lb altogether... But the last 5 was in the last 2 weeks!!

I am quite slim tho and my bump over the last 2 week has grown sooo much so Im not gonna worry..

Just hope it slows back down to a pound a week instead of 2.5!

I was really worried about my weight gain at first as I gained 10 pounds in the first 14 weeks! I was a BMI of 20 when I started, so I'm not overweight, but it still got me worried.

BUT, I have just read a book that said we shouldn't worry about our weight and checking it all the time does no good- and those pregnancy weight online calculators don't do us any favours at all.

My SIL has an amazing figure and she said she gained loads of weight in the first Tri and she looked amazing pregnant.

We all gain at different times and in different ways, and unless your weight is causing a health issue, I wouldn't worry.

As long as you eat healthily then you shouldnt worry about weight gain. It usually levels out in the end. Loads of people I know had severe MS and lost weight in the first trimester and then gained everything in the second. Its better to have gained a bit too much weight than too little, at least the baby is getting enough calories to grow!
I didn't have any MS and gained 11lb by about 16/18 weeks, some of my pregnant friends said that it was quite a lot of weight to gain but actually their weight gain is now the same as mine because they just gained it at a different time. Since week 16/18 I have only gained a pound or two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->