Gaining too much weight

kittykat7210

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
I can't believe this is happening because I've been really careful. At 15 weeks I was only up 1lb but now at 20 weeks I'm up 10lbs!! How have I gained 9 lbs in 5 weeks??? I'm now above where I should be for my target of 25lbs and I feel crap what on earth can I do??? I only have 15lbs left to gain and the most weight gaining weeks ahead of me :(

Try not to worry, I've said in various threads that having gone through to this point in pregnancy, weight gain is unpredictable in pregnancy! It's not all fat, in fact most isn't. It's baby, amniotic fluid, extra blood, the placenta, general water gain. I lost weight in the first trimester but absoloutely packed it on in the second. I'd gained 24 lbs by week 25/26 and I was really suprised! Bar Christmas, I'd eaten pretty healthily! I got upset about it but then realised that there is no point. I know I'm eating sensibly and not for two. My size 10-12 maternity clothes all still fit comfortably so I'm not gaining much size overall. Now I refuse to weigh myself and go on my clothes fitting and overall appearance.

It's 9 months of your life, you can loose the weight afterwards when you are not growing a small human. Until then, so long as you know you are eating well and being healthy, then that's the most important thing in my opinion.

Oh and in the 3rd tri, for me, the gain seems to have slowed. My stomach feels so squashed I can't eat half as much these days! And looking at myself, my stomach is expanding but not much else!

Thank you for your reply, my main worry is getting back to the 200lbs I was 6 years ago! I lost almost 100lbs and it was so so hard I don't want to go back. I was 103lbs before pregnancy and I'm 113lbs now, the highest I have been in 3 years (which I knew would be the case due to pregnancy) but it's kind of scary for me because I feel like I'm slipping back even though I'm not eating badly.

I'm in the same boat. I actually lost weight in my first trimester and then I started gaining a lot of weight in my second. I actually just posted a thread about this a week or so ago because I was upset. But really my clothes still fit and I can still fit in my pre maternity clothes so it's really all in my belly and breasts.

That really isn't all that much. I totally understand you being worried about it, but honestly, just let it go. The fact that you are not eating badly means that your body is gaining as much as it needs - let your body be the judge of that! It knows best.

With Thomas I gained 24 lbs in total, but about 15 of that in the first trimester. The rest in the second trimester. I didn't gain at all in the third trimester. After the first trimester I was worried too and didn't understand how I gained as much with all the puking... but my body knew what it was doing.

Just take care of your body and it won't betray you. It knows what to do, as long as you eat relatively healthy and not way too much... nothing bad will happen :)

With this baby I have lost 9 lbs so far because of HG and now I'm super worried about that.. but if the HG goes, I'm sure my body will gain super fast to make up for it :)

I started my last pg at 94 lbs, only 104 at 12 weeks, under 120 at 20 weeks (don't recall exactly, but got a compliment for being on target) and then I went berserk and gave birth at 158 lbs even though I remember eating tons of popsicles and plain popcorn to try to manage my hunger without actually taking in calories

And I was back to prepregnancy weight (or rather the properly healthy close enough of 100 lbs) by 4 months post partum.

I'm not sure the 25 lbs thing is actually do-able for a low activity/sedentary person who started at around 100 lbs. sorry if you're active just assumed you're not because you only mentioned diet contributing.

I was very tiny to start with my first pregnancy and gained 55 /60ish lbs total. I don't think only gaining 25lbs is realistic when you're that small but I did get back to my pre pregnancy weight within a few months. I do understand how you're feeling though. There's a large gap between my pregnancies and I gained a lot of weight over the years. It was hard work for me to loose the 40+ lbs that I did and honestly, it was much harder to loose that weight than the pregnancy weight. I don't know if you plan on breastfeeding or not but it really helped shed the extra weight. In fact, that's part of why we gain, in preparation. Your body knows what it's doing.

I understand how hard it is to see those numbers on the scale go up when you know what it took to make them go down. I've already gained more weight than I wanted to but.. Now is not the time for setting personal fitness goals for myself. That will come later. Right now is the time to eat healthy and exercise when feeling up to it instead of pushing myself. I thought I might not gain as much this time as I started at a normal weight instead of being under but that hasn't been the case. Oh well. It's hard to readjust your mindset but in the end it will be worth it. Having a healthy baby comes first!!

Aww I wouldn't worry. It's about the overall gain: sounds like your body was just playing catch up. I gained 2-3 first tri. And since my 12scan I have gained 12.5 lbs. plus you fluctuate a lot. Last Sunday I was 147, then Wednesday I was 145, and this morning I am 148.5. So I just look at the overall week change (+1.5) and change since 12 weeks (+12.5 or 1.13lbs a week) which is close enough to 1 lb for me. I eat mostly healthy but have cheat days here and there. And keep in mind like others said 7-9 lbs of that 25 is baby plus amniotic fluid is another 1-3 so popping out baby is squeezing out an immediate 10 pounds.

If it makes you feel better I've gained 10lbs already and I'm only at 16 +3 I'm just hoping it evens itself out abit over the next few weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->