Gallbladder treatment ~ early pregnancy

Emmie M

Reaction score
Hi all,me again! Has anyone suffered with their gallbladder? I have had a massive attack when I was about 6 months preg with my first,had sepsis too,very poorly,had a couple of attacks since,GP refered me to have it out but for one reason or another,I still have it. I am feeling very rough,had an achey tum for a week or more,the normal on the run up to another attack and last night I kept waking with stabbing pains where the gallbladder is,its not bad enough to warrant a trip to the hospital,but I just wondered if anyone had any treatment for their gallbladder during early pregnancy,I am around 9 weeks pregnant,obviously I dont want surgery or anything that would risk a m/c

I had the same issue with my first. I began having attacks in the 3rd trimester. I dealt with them for 5 years, then ended up with an infected gallbladder and they removed it. Come to find out after the fact, I was pregnant when they did the surgery, probably too early to even be detected on a blood test at that point.

I would say, stay away from anything with high fat content, like cheesecake, or anything really rich. Those can trigger an attack. Obvoisly if you have an attack that is out of the ordinary from your normal ones, go be seen, because if it ends up infected, it might do more harm to keep it then to have the surgery to remove it while prego. They do it lapriscopically so it is minimally invasive.

Thanks for replying. My first attack I got infection,sepsis,was extremely poorly,me and LO nearly didnt make it,and to think they started treating me for indigestion as I was pregnant!

I had mine go bad when my dd was three. In truth I'd been having problems for years before it became truly diseased.

I saw my PCP doc on a Wednesday, and had it out four weeks and a day later. In the month that I was dealing with daily attacks only high dose ibuprofen helped which you obviously can't do. I suggest that you Google the gall bladder diet and try and follow it-it stopped my attacks completely! Then follow up for treatment once you have the LO.

I had my first attack near the end of my pregnancy with my son, didnt know what it was at the time. since i keep having attacks, i had several during my second pregnancy and lost that pregnancy. my liver gets really bad really quickly with my attacks and my GP said that it could have been a factor of my miscarraige although my gyn consultant disagrees and said numbers would have to have been extremeley high for that to have even been a possiblity.

I got diagnoised in Oct and have waited and waited to see the consultant, i am now due to see him next week for the first time.

I am now pregnant with twins and havent had any attacks since i became pregnant. I was in half minds to put of trying for another but after losing a baby i couldnt bare the thought of waiting and waiting. I even priced it up privatly and was very tempted to just do it.

I know sugery can be done in pregnancy, the tend to prefer to do it during your second trimester, and is considered "safe" well as safe as any surgery and any pregnancy is.

I was planning to insist on sugery even during pregnancy after my previous experince but now there is no way, twins are considered high risk anyway and i dont want to risk it. but then again i am not in pain either, i dont know what my reaction would be if i was still having several attacks a week. we all put our babies before ourselves but there is also only so much the body can take and sometimes a small risk can be worth taking. but thats a very individual thing.

Im sorry you are having so many problems, hope you get some relief somehow xxx

go on a low fat diet hun and stick to it, ive just done it for the last 6 months as got diagnosed with gallstones when i was 6 months pregnant. but i controlled it until i had it removed 2 weeks ago by diet. its a pain but worth it not to have the attacks. if it gets really bad they can operate up until u are 20 weeks pregnant but they dont like to do it

Hi I got it in my last pregnancy at 6 months and also developed cholestatis. I thought I was dying the only way for me to control it was to eat wholegrain rice and weetabix mmmmm nice not. Anyway had ds in December, got pancreatitis new years eve, gallstone passed thru my pancreas and had it out in web. If you can have it out, do so but obviously not at risk to your little bubs, keep strong, I know it made me pretty miserable, avoid citrus fruits as again they triggered attacks for me any way and go low low fat and plain until u can get it sorted xxxx thinking of you xxxxx

go on the gall bladder diet like people said, but if it gets really bad and becomes an intense pain radiating over to the left you need to get yourself seen cos it can lead to bad problems with your pancreas that's impossible to ignore.

TBH I know surgery's not something any pregnant woman wants to think about but if it has to be done it has to be done, I once had a woman come in for haemorrhoid removal during pregnancy!

I suffered ALOT with gallbladder attacks all through my second pregnancy. Here are some notes from my experience:

1.) Diet may or may not help. I am a pretty low-fat eater, it didn't seem to matter what I ate...they came when they came. I remember one night groaning in pain and being like, "I ate grilled chicken breast and broccoli!!! WTH!!!??"

2.) For awhile, when they weren't at their worst, a granny smith apple once a day would help stave them off. I know, weird. In fact, sometimes, when I felt one coming, if I ate the apple right then, it would calm down. (Later that stopped working, but it did the trick for awhile)

3.) Gallbladder 'cleanse'.... please check with your doctor before you do this, but it did help me for awhile... look it up online to get the exact directions, but you basically ingest nothing but apple juice or apples for a day, then (this is really gross) drink a cup (yes.... a cup) of olive oil with some lemon juice mixed in (you can blend it with grape juice to help get it down. Either way, it's sick.) Keep it down for a few hours, then drink an epsom salts solution....and STAY AT THE TOILET. You'll be...ermmmm... occupado for awhile.

The idea is that the olive oil both lubricates the gallbladder and sends your gallbladder into overdrive because of the fat content, and hopefully expels alot of the little stones. Then the epsom salts solution helps you pass the stones completely. This did not cure it altogether, but kept attacks away for a few months for me after only doing it once. Ultimately, I ended up getting the surgery when my son was a few months old. I got so bad I got to the point where I was having DAILY attacks.

**I only say check with your doc because I'd hate to recommend something that has some hidden danger to pregnancy that I'm not aware of.... I'd think it's fine, it's all food, really, but you never know. I had already delivered my son by the time I got desperate enough to try this.

4.) If all else fails, when an attack hits, put a heating pad on your upper back while also holding an ice pack to your sternum. It helps. And.. if anyone in your house has leftover vicodin from some injury or pain incident, take one. It is safe in moderation during pregnancy and REALLY takes the gallbladder pain away.

Whew. That is from a sufferer of MEAN gallbladder pain, and my desperate attempts to deal with it without surgery. In the end, I had the surgery, and am very very glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->