Gas and air at home

crazydiamond

Reaction score
At my home birth visit the midwife told me that they only bring 40 minutes worth of gas and air. This does not seem like much to me given the long duration of some births.

Given this at what point is it best to use it? Should I try to wait until the second stage until using it. I am a bit worried that if I get too dependent on it and it runs out I will end up transferring to hospital.

My midwives brought round three canisters (so not sure how long each one lasts?). I only used the G&A when I was having my stitches afterwards (for about 1 hour).

Have you considered using a TENS machine to mask the pain of your contractions? That's the only pain relief I used during labour and can thoroughly recommend it! xx

I know all the on-call midwives carry G&A, and they are the smaller ones you mentioned only for about 40mins. But some do carry more, and it should only be a phone call to get more. Most like to have 2 midwives present so the second midwife should have some more.

You shouldn't worry about running out! It's the MW's really will try to make you as comfortable as possible, and if you feel you need it - use it! It is a great distraction!

You are usually at home with one of MW initially, and then when you are about to get into full on 1st stage and 2nd stage labour, they call in for the second one - that should give them lots of opportunity to get more for you. There should be plenty of time, it could be a while, as I'm assuming this is your first labour?

I was lucky enough to have a MW present who had 6 canisters in her car - she must have been a hoarder, like me!

This on-call MW came from her house to me, but the second was called in from the Birth Centre, so they bought all the other equipment they might need - such as a potable incubator of all things (they are really very well trained, and totally prepared for anything!)

If you're concerned, bring it up with your MW at your next appointment.

For me the best time to use it was at the end of the 1st stage and beginning of second stage. you will know when a contraction is building - breath it in, then and breath it out through the contraction. Though again, more as a distracction.
I didn't find it useful or needed at the end of labour. Once your body full takes over, it's just not a matter of pain or even thinking about anything!!

Like Jenstar - I wanted it more for stiches.. that was painful!
But I won't be pushing hard this time round - I really didn't need too.. and blame myself for pushing so hard!
xxx

Thanks. I think it must be different in different areas. My midwife said two cannisters was it and the second midwife does not come later - I was told she is there to look after the baby once it arrives.

I am planning to use tens before I get in the pool but it is nice to know g&a is there as well in case needed.

Interesting what you both said about the stitches - did you have local anesthetic? I was told that this was available at home and would minimise any pain.

I only used 1 and half canisters of G&A - so think you might not need it as much as you need the security of having it available to you.

Though the second midwives IS there to prepare for any care the baby might need, it certainly wouldn't preclude her from bringing any extra G&A. I'm sure your MW would agree with this - they are unlikely to allow a situation whereby you might become distressed.. that would make everything harder, for everybody. They do have your best interests at heart.

Perhaps she could be possibly trying to make you not think that you will need to rely on the g&a, as you really might not need it as much as you think you could possibly know - I know that is something that you don’t know at the moment; and we never really know how we are going to react to childbirth.. But have faith in your body. If you let yourself relax and your body take over, it will just get on with it and you will feel like you are in a totally different place. I know that is easy for me to say - but, believe me, before I had my DD I was trying to organise a prescription for pethadine.. Just in case, my MW thought that was a little unnecessary, and I did agree with her in the end’ the side affects of pethadine, just isn’t the way I wanted to feel anyway!

Hardest part for me has to be the transition - where you are about to let go, but you fight it consciously in a flight/fight response - that is where you will need good support, breathing and cuddles of assurance that you can do it! it only lasts a little while, and after that is when it really starts to get good! Can't wait for that good bit again! x

I only used half a canister and that was from when my waters broke at 8 cm(they broke as the MW was about to examine me!) and I transitioned very quickly,I don't remember it with my DD but knew what it was from reading on here, I started shaking quite badly and couldn't hold the G&A. As above poster has said, breathe the gas as soon as you feel the first pangs of the contraction so by the time the contraction is at its peak you should get the maximum relief but I ended up breathing through them alot of the time as the gas was making my throat really dry and sore (sounded like frank butcher the day after lol!) I also had a good pull when they were examining me incase I needed stitches as I tore but luckily I didn't yay! They will also bring local anesthetic with them incase.

i also had 4 MWs but 2 were students so there was lots of reassurance for me that me n my little boy were in good hands.

HTH x

here the canisters are dropped off at 37 weeks 3 large canisters, also... they can always get more if ur looking like going to run low. all homebirths in the UK must have 2 midwives present for the delivery, sometimes due to rapid labours etc and them not arriving in time, but this is rare, they should all carry atleast one canister with them.Not sure why one would be there to care for baby, as your main midwife stays till your ok to be left, and the second leaves usually as soon as placenta has been safely delivered etc.xx

Thanks. I think it must be different in different areas. My midwife said two cannisters was it and the second midwife does not come later - I was told she is there to look after the baby once it arrives.

I am planning to use tens before I get in the pool but it is nice to know g&a is there as well in case needed.

Interesting what you both said about the stitches - did you have local anesthetic? I was told that this was available at home and would minimise any pain.

Yep, the stitches are done under local anaesthetic which they bring with them. They will stitch 1st & 2nd degree tears at home. 3rd & 4th you'd have to transfer to hospital to be stitched. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->