Gas and air (nitrous oxide)??

qwerty310

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm in third tri with my second child. First birth I was induced and had no pain relief. Now my hospital offers nitrous oxide gas as an option which I'm excited about. Would anyone mind sharing their experience with it? Hoping for some dissociation from the pain and that it doesn't mess with my breathing too much. When do you get it? Before transition? After? I found pushing fairly 'easy' (ha!) compared to everything before it.

I was induced and got given it after they broke my waters before I got my epidural. It didn't do too much for the pain but found I didn't really care lol. Made me a bit loopy, DH's favourite story it when I looked at him so seriously and said "what would you look like if you were a gremlin?" Midwife was cracking up too. Definitely giving it another go this time and just gonna try breathing it in a bit earlier than last time

I love it, gives me the giggles and a slight drunk feeling. I had it from around 5cm and it really helped me regulate my breathing, and it took the edge off the contractions.

I like hat you can stop it instantly and the effect is gone right away, the only downside for me is that it have me a really dry mouth.

I managed with all my labours with gas and air x

Made me feel drunk too. I had it from 5cm dilated. Towards the end I had far too much and didn't feel like I was in the room! I could hear the midwife saying I needed to slow down with it but I didn't listen so felt out of it. Once the pushing started I kind of forgot about taking it though so everything went back to normal.
I will definitely be using it again.

I only used it with the early contractions as i started to make myself sick with it, so i gave up on it. I DO like it though, and went back to it while being stitched up :rofl: I absolutely HATED that part and it was the only thing to stop me shooing them all away haha

I loved it too! I also had it from 5cm and it made me a little giddy but I still felt in control.

I actually found it controlled my breathing, making me take long deep breaths for it to work better as I stopped for a bit and started getting a bit panicky breathing.

It works if you take a few deep breaths of it when you feel a contraction coming then you can just hold it and breath as needed when pushing

The advantages are that if you don't like it you can stop immediately and the effect goes away if you don't like it.
Main disadvantage as pp said is it leaves your mouth dry

I actually think my gas and air supply wasn't switched on as I felt no different and couldnt really feel anything coming out but I was in excruciating pain at this point.

I was using it for about 15 hours on/off with my first and all it was was a distraction but I had it a tiny bit when pushing with my second and it did help me breathe but then feel drunk for 30 seconds after the contraction lol.

It was a good distraction technical & really helped me regulate my breathing through the contractions. Did make me feel a bit spaced & I remember the midwife telling me off for chewing the end of the tube lol

I found it amazing and never let it go. It helps you relax and i just felt drunk for a few seconds and like i was floating away.

I had it with my first and loved it! I had to keep sipping on cold water though between contractions as it made my mouth and throat so dry x

I had it with my son and according to my DH I was off my face and talking complete rubbish - so tick was good :haha:

I didn't have time with my daughter her labour was only 1hr27min :wacko:

I had it with my first and loved it! I had to keep sipping on cold water though between contractions as it made my mouth and throat so dry x

I got through 3 jugs of water in a 7 hour labour lol

I am looking forward to trying it with this labour, for something to focus on if anything, if it makes me feel drunk and not care about the pain then bonus lol.

I was too late for ANY pain relief last time so I am feeling rather anxious about how I am going to cope.

I loved it! Really helped with my first labour, made me feel 'drunk' I tried to go without it for my 2nd birth but that was too intense so asked for it and it did take the edge away, no 'drunk' feeling that time round but helped regulate my breathing and concentrate on coping with each contraction, I'm going to try and not use it this time round but only to see if I can do without but I won't hesitate asking for it if I need it.

I love gas and air so much, it was a real wrench to give it back to them after I had my last child, I'd delivered LO and the placenta, been checked for tears and all done but I was till sneaking puffs on it :haha:.
For me it really helps me disassociate from the pain; I would take some big puffs and kind of float off :haha:. I could still feel the pain but it was a bit dreamy and I wasn't worried about it. I'd take a couple of breaths of normal air to "come back". It was funny, I'd be all spaced out and then if the midwife said "we need to just listen to the baby now Eleanor" I'd be back in the room.
I had it from 6cm until part way into pushing with my 1st; I got a bit lazy so they took it off me for the rest of pushing (boo :haha:). With my 2nd I had it from 8cm through pushing and I really appreciated having it for pushing as that is definitely my worst bit. With my 3rd I had a quick and intense labour (51 minutes) and I was desperate for the gas and air, I got it at about 6/7cm and had it for pushing. I found it helpful for my breathing as I was focusing on taking deep breaths of the gas and air so it stopped me from rushing my breathing.

I loved it! For me it was the difference between wanting an epidural or not. They use it in pretty much every hospital here in the UK and its usually the first form of pain relief they will offer you in labour, I really dont understand why its so uncommon in parts of the USA?

I hated it. Had 3 puffs on it, threw up into 7 sick buckets and then threw it across the room (the gas not the sick lol) I never wanted it anyway but the midwife kept pushing me to try it so I took it to shut her up. I won't be having it again this time round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->