gaviscon and constipation

M

MrsEngland

Hi ladies,

My 14 week old baby is on gaviscon for acid reflux and aptamil formula but recently its making her really constipated and uncomfortable. She's started taking less milk because she ends up in pain from it.

Any one have any experience of this and how to help her?

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem, so rang the doctor who said to try an extra drop of water a day in her bottle. This didnt work for us, so rang back and they prescribed Lactulose which now works a treat x

I took my son off gaviscon for that very reason and tried carobel which made him poo but got really bad trapped wind from it, put him back on the gaviscon but it was horrible watching him in so much pain trying to go toilet. so now he has no thickner and he is much happier even tho the acid reflux does still bother him, he sleeps better that he is not constipated.

My LO is on gaviscon and it does make him a little constipated but it doesn't seem to bother him too much but I had this very conversation at baby group the other day, the HV said try giving some cooled bottled water once a day or try changing the formula you are using. You can go back to dr to see if there is anything they can give you to help but that just means more things going into your LOs body so sometimes it's a case of working out which causes the most pain, the acid reflux or constipation.

I've started giving her bottles without gaviscon during the day and only giving it in the ones at night and she seems much happier :thumbup: I plan to get her off it altogether soon hopefully. I also give her some water before some feeds. Does mean she's more sicky but like a pp said it bothers her but less than the constipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->