gaviscon please help

michelle1985

Reaction score
iv started using gaviscon as my LO is quite sicky with reflux she has cmpa and is on nutramigen AA, since using the gaviscon she cant get the milk out of the teat? she has dr browns bottles iv tried size 1 and 2 teats and the milk is not coming out what is the best way to make up the gaviscon? and what teat sizes do you use?

hiya, my baby is also on gavisgon and we use dr Brown bottles, we have to use size 3 teat, and shake it up really well and shes fine with the flow, how old is your little one?? Maisie is 11 weeks.

xxxxxxxx

hiya, my baby is also on gavisgon and we use dr Brown bottles, we have to use size 3 teat, and shake it up really well and shes fine with the flow, how old is your little one?? Maisie is 11 weeks.

xxxxxxxx

my little one is 11 weeks tomorrow and guess what her name is maizie as well but i spell it with a z and not a s. ill have to get some size 3 teats then thanks

Hi, we had the same problem and I would recommend getting the Boots own variflow teats. They are practically the same as the Dr Brown's ones but the variflow is a good option because then she can drink her milk as quickly or slowly as she wants. :flower:

Gaviscon doesnt thicken the milk it makes a gel layer on top of the milk once its in LO's tummy to basically stop it from coming back up, if your LO is having problems getting the milk out it could just be coincidence that she needs to go up a teat size around the time you started using gaviscon or it could be if you havnt mixed the gavisocon in enough it stays in lumps in the milk so it could be these blocking the teats and thats why she is struggling.

I always put the gaviscon in the warmed milk (i pre made bottles) and gave it a reallu good vigourous shake.

the othere thing you can do if your still struggling is you can make the gaviscon up with cooled boiled water and give it ti LO with a syringe (as per breastfeeding instructuons on pack) thats what my paed said i could either give it before or in her milk.

xx

Gaviscon doesnt thicken the milk it makes a gel layer on top of the milk once its in LO's tummy to basically stop it from coming back up, if your LO is having problems getting the milk out it could just be coincidence that she needs to go up a teat size around the time you started using gaviscon or it could be if you havnt mixed the gavisocon in enough it stays in lumps in the milk so it could be these blocking the teats and thats why she is struggling.

I always put the gaviscon in the warmed milk (i pre made bottles) and gave it a reallu good vigourous shake.

the othere thing you can do if your still struggling is you can make the gaviscon up with cooled boiled water and give it ti LO with a syringe (as per breastfeeding instructuons on pack) thats what my paed said i could either give it before or in her milk.

xx

i no its not the teat size as i have only just moved up to a size 2 teat and her next bottle i didnt put the gaviscon in and it was fine, also i did mix it with hot water so it should of desolved properly :shrug:

Hi, we had the same problem and I would recommend getting the Boots own variflow teats. They are practically the same as the Dr Brown's ones but the variflow is a good option because then she can drink her milk as quickly or slowly as she wants. :flower:

i find the vari flow are still to quick and it spills all down her chin

My LO is on gaviscon and comfort milk, I have tried all teats and different methods. None work.

We now mix it with water 15ml for one sachet and then give it with a syringe. This is the only way we can get it in her x x

I've heard alot of women on here say that gaviscon doesn't thicken the milk so i'm wondering why all the hvs and drs I've spoken to are under the impression that it does thicken the milk.they all told me I would need size three teats and not to use it with any other thickener as then it would get waaaay to thick.all this different advice is so confusing :shrug: anyway Hun I tried size 1&2 and the only ones that it would get through was size 3.good luck and I hope baby is better soon xx

Rose06 is correct, gaviscon doesn't thicken the milk. It reacts with stomach acids to form a gel layer on the top of the stomach contents to stop it rising.

There is no need to increase the teat size with gaviscon, but it is very difficult to mix into the milk, it quite often goes lumpy. If its used with hungry baby/thickened milk then it will cause a problem but the gaviscon instructions say not to use with thickened milk.

well since using the gaviscon my lo has been sick even more than usual should i stop using it?

are you under a pediatrician? if you are i would contact them......... gaviscon didnt do muc for my LO but once she was on ranitadine and domperidone along with the gaviscon it worked a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->